Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to remove lettering?

aphawki

Do not try it unless someone who has can verify.

As a signpainter, letterer we often use Lacquer Thinner w/ fresh rags or

E-Z Off Oven Cleaner w/ another ton of fresh rags.

But either one of those could destroy any other printed color on the panel.

This stuff works "in the field" and it may be too heavy duty for the panel.

Please wait to verify (or try a test patch)

Do not try it unless someone who has can verify.

As a signpainter' date=' letterer we often use Lacquer Thinner w/ fresh rags or

E-Z Off Oven Cleaner w/ another ton of fresh rags.

Please wait to verify (or try a test patch)[/quote']

Actually I will try this on a test patch! I will let you know.

Yeah I kinda thought of that one too m-theory. I was thinking of going with some type of sweet House of Kolor flake paint. Looking into that one now!

fingernail polish remover on a cotton ball. that's acetone. *S*

V2 and V1 heads, for sure. Never had a V3.

If you're careful, you can leave some and take the rest off.

I put masking tape around what I wanted to keep.. like on the back.

I really didn't want to keep it, necessarily, but I didn't want to bother taking it all off and didn't want to make it smear either.

TWANG

I kinda like the upside down thing as you peer over the top of the amp when looking at the back panel anyway!

Don't buy it.

Well gee thanks Peter...why didn't I think of that??? That would have saved so much time and money if I would have just bought one that did have black lettering on it!!! I mean when I bought it...I should have asked for one with no lettering...that might have worked too. Just think, I would have saved time by not have to take that new avatar picture...I mean the energy used to take that picture could have saved a whale or something I'm sure. Well oh great!!! What am I going to do now!!??? Do you guys think that Guitar Center will take back my modded Valve Junior head? Granted it doesn't really look like it did when I bought it...but I don't think they will notice. =D>

Sooooooooo anyways...I tried the acetone and that didn't work. I do have the V3 head and it's almost like they clear coated over it or something. So...I guess that leaves the spray bomb option! I remember seeing House of Kolor at Wal-Mart too...I am going to go and check that out today. Will let you all know if I find a cool color.

Well gee thanks Peter...why didn't I think of that??? That would have saved so much time and money if I would have just bought one that did have black lettering on it!!! I mean when I bought it...I should have asked for one with no lettering...that might have worked too. Just think' date=' I would have saved time by not have to take that new avatar picture...I mean the energy used to take that picture could have saved a whale or something I'm sure. Well oh great!!! What am I going to do now!!??? Do you guys think that Guitar Center will take back my modded Valve Junior head? Granted it doesn't really look like it did when I bought it...but I don't think they will notice. =D>

Sooooooooo anyways...I tried the acetone and that didn't work. I do have the V3 head and it's almost like they clear coated over it or something. So...I guess that leaves the spray bomb option! I remember seeing House of Kolor at Wal-Mart too...I am going to go and check that out today. Will let you all know if I find a cool color.[/quote']

Aphawki, my comment wasn't meant seriously but i don't understand why you want to remove the black lettering.

Peter

He's turning his head upside down..

so the lettering would be upside down.

on the back, that's kinda handy cause you lean over the amp a lot from the front.. so the lettering is right side up, looking down.

but on the front .. not so hot.

newvjgraphics.jpg

head1done2.jpg

head2done2.jpg

you might try masking tape around the letters.. some fine sandpaper.. just a little at a time.. alternating with the acetone. if it's clear coated

you should be able to get down to the black letters without going through the paint if you're patient.

I'm guessing!

TWANG

Aphawki' date=' my comment wasn't meant seriously but i don't understand why you want to remove the black lettering.

Peter[/quote']

Oh no worries Peter...lol. I was just feeling sarcastic this morning!! Sorry for the sarcasm!

Twang...that's a good idea. My problem is that I like to just jump in a bit too much. I got some sand paper...went and picked up a spray can of blood red (just a kick lighter than the burgundy on the cab and the normal front) sanded her down and started the paint process! Although looking back now...your idea probably would have been much cleaner!!!

Also went and picked up some decal paper at the local hobby store. I think I am going to do the lettering in a similar cream color that was on it before. Thank you everyone for all the insight and help as usual!!

Oh and Twang...I did have to steal the idea of the chrome rings to finish off the screws that are now the "front" screws. Looks awfully nice!

Ok so here we are so far....volume knob is on the top..haven't quite replaced that yet...wanted to get the decals on first. So...yeah...I did place that switch way way way too far to the right. I didn't really think about the front cover that was running down the right. Oh well. Other than that seems to be working good so far! Thank you everyone for the help getting me this far!!!

DSC00366.jpg

Hey, that's not bad at all!

and yeah the trim rings make it look pretty neat, I think.

I like that red the more I look at it.

I found an ebay seller that does custom logos.. I've got a

TWANG

coming .. monday I hope.

I used to call my head Dexter.. after the tv show.. but yours.. now that's a Dexter!

you could get some little forensic decals.. the stuff they cut up corpses with... and name your controls

slice dice chop..*L*

TWANG

Yeah I like that!!! I was trying to think of what to do with the decals on the controls...that's a good one. Heck I should have just sent the head out to you and let you run with it!!! (I don't think I would want that invoice however.)

Ok...so any ideas on the best way to re-letter the amp? I know you said you had someone on ebay that was getting something together for you Twang. Anyone have any ideas...I tried using decal paper but on the darker paint color they don't show up!!! What a bummer waste of 10 bucks.

Yeah I have no help on that one Mr Jones....I can't even figure out how to use decal paper!!! O:)

Twang, yeah I think I might have figured it out. There is white backed decal paper...the only problem is that it will have that white back. I am going to try it and see. What I was running into is that the background is soooo dark on the amp that when I put the decals on it just disappears. So I don't think the printer puts enough ink to make them not transparent.

I turned mine upside down.

I wish I'd taken pics of the process since so many have asked about doing it.

But it's fairly easy and works out well.

pics are unfinished versions..

aphawki.. I was thinking like a cream or white ink on clear decal paper?

newvjboth2.jpg

epilpstXXX.jpg

Twang - I did cream on the clear decal paper and the ink just isn't thick enough to stop from being transparent on the dark red background. I think what I am going to do is go to an arts and crafts store and get some of those rub on letters and try that. Then just clear over it. I will let you know how that one turns out!!! (Just add another 10 bucks to the mix I guess...)

Archived