Gibson Brands Forums

acoustic/electric.. what amps are you using.. how happy?

TWANG

I use an Ultrasound AG50DS4 for acoustics.

I put a K&K PWM in my AJ500M and run an LR Baggs PADI in front of it.

It sounds very nice, unless I overdrive it, which I never do because the K&K is prone to feedback at high volumes.

I'm not playing in any large venues so it's perfect for me.

When I play my LP I use a Fender Deluxe. Sweet.

I use a '66 Fender blackface Pro Reverb. Essentially a Twin with 45 watts instead of 100. Just had is recapped and at "2" has a great, warm clean sound. At "3" it breaks up real nice with perfect attack control. At "10" you can sound like Hendrix. Also have a '64 Ampeg Mercury M-12, but it has no Reverb so a bit limiting. Nice all original amp tho.

How do you like your Valve Jr.? I see a lot of them for sale on CL was thinking of getting one.

I'm crazy about the vj.

It's not giggable loud for a lot of things.. but miced up it would do if the band wasn't volume hiding as so many do.

It's vastly modified, but a lot of people dig the V3 dead stock.

TWANG

My preferences:

Crate Taos acoustic amp - tough to get a true acoustic sound, but I do love the coloring I can get with all the on-board effects

Fender Rumble bass amp - a perfect unadorned sound

VOX AC30 - incredible clean perfect sound. I can play delicately fingerpicked "Julia" or strummed hard "Please Please Me" and both sound amazing in this amp

Man, you know this is such a subjective topic. A post above mentions the fantastic use of a Fender Princeton Chorus amp for acoutics. Well, I have that amp and when I plug any acoustic in I hear a sound that is the most horrendous sound imagineable. An acoustic/electric into an amp is such a personal sound. A Les Paul into a Marshall is a given - you know what you will get. But acoustics into amps? It really comes down to try a few and buy what you like.

Beatlenut: I agree that this is a very subjective topic. While I did say that my Princeton Chorus sounds just fine to me, I did not say it was fantastic. I think that it is a good all-around amplifier. I do not play "out" so I use it in the confines of my office/music room. It does just fine for me. Your mileage may vary.

The local Potbelly sandwich shop where I play weekly has a Fender Acoustasonic 30. At least here in the DC area, all these venues have these around for their musicians (+ a Shure 58). I think it does OK. I like the sound of my AJ500RC12 with a cheapie Dean Markley soundhole jobbie through it. The Dobro (it's a Dobro dobro) remains unamplified for now (will be contacting the McIntyres on this subject this week! Perhaps we should start a "Happy New Guitar Pickup Day" thread!)--not really needed in the confines of the P-belly.

I would probably go after the small Fender myself, but finances are currently prohibitive.

Have been wondering about Epi's acoustic amps. Right now the only one available is the 15-watter that comes with the PR4 package. Been thinking that my 14 yr old could learn on the (POS) guitar, whilst Dad gets the amp. Some decent reviews of that li'l thang floating around. Another option is a used model like the Regent 200. There are a couple in a few shops around here. Local big-volume-but-still-indie shop has one for $179.

Crates seem nice and are omni-present and reasonably priced, too. Problem is finding a small-ish model with both instrument and vocal outlets. The Epi package, way small as it is, has both.

My opportunities to use such an amp are pretty limited to rather small rooms; hence my search among itty-bit amps.

I'd REALLY appreciate info on the ones I mentioned; opinions and experiences welcomed!

And great thanks for putting up this thread!

Problem is finding a small-ish model with both instrument and vocal outlets. The Epi package' date=' way small as it is, has both.

[/quote']

So far the best sound I've heard from my A/E (other than being plugged into a PA system at open-mic nights) was through a Fender Blues Jr., although with an effects box a friend got some very good sound from his PigNose! It was quite a surprise to me.

I'm looking for an amp with both a guitar and a mic input, too.....to which Epi package were you referring, the Valve Jr?

Having been interested in this issue for some time, I do recall reading on other forums that perhaps the best amp we can get for our acoustics are small bass amps. I piddled with them a bit in the GC stores around here, but you know how it is in a GC, just a cacophony of noise, so I can't really offer any sort of quality assessment. That would be the key for me, a good quality acoustic sound. Right now I'm using an 8" Peavey Rage and it's OK, but just barely, for use in my living room. It does not have "performance capable" sound quality to my ears.

Do any others have a recommendation for a good "performance quality" acoustic amp/combo that might also have separate inputs for the guitar and a microphone? I keep seeing ads for this Bose tower system in the mags, have never heard one.

TIA!

Dugly 8-[

I gig regularly with my Epi H'bird and Tanglewood Jumbo + vocal through a Peavey Ecoustic 112. It's 100watt and has a great neutral sound that lets everything come through as it should and is way loud enough for the pubs/bars/cafes that i play in. Had it since the 90s too, so it's pretty tough. I'd be lost without it. Saves lugging a PA around. Great amp.

So far the best sound I've heard from my A/E (other than being plugged into a PA system at open-mic nights) was through a Fender Blues Jr.' date=' although with an effects box a friend got some very good sound from his PigNose! It was quite a surprise to me.

I'm looking for an amp with both a guitar and a mic input, too.....to which Epi package were you referring, the Valve Jr?

Having been interested in this issue for some time, I do recall reading on other forums that perhaps the best amp we can get for our acoustics are small bass amps. I piddled with them a bit in the GC stores around here, but you know how it is in a GC, just a cacophony of noise, so I can't really offer any sort of quality assessment. That would be the key for me, a good quality acoustic sound. Right now I'm using an 8" Peavey Rage and it's OK, but just barely, for use in my living room. It does not have "performance capable" sound quality to my ears.

Do any others have a recommendation for a good "performance quality" acoustic amp/combo that might also have separate inputs for the guitar and a microphone? I keep seeing ads for this Bose tower system in the mags, have never heard one.

TIA!

Dugly O:) [/quote']

Dugly,

The package I was referring to was the one mentioned above--the PR4 acoustic/electric pack, which includes an all-laminate guitar, the amp, and accessories (bag, strap, cord--but watch out for the "tuner"--here it means pitchpipe). I wouldn't have anything to do with the guitar myself, but have thought it may be a reasonable starter for my kid, while I bogart the amp & cord!

DeArmond 210 Pickups (2nd and 3rd versions) on the guitars. Not the most acoustic sounding pups but I love the tone - think Elmore James and Lightnin' Hopkins.

DeArmond210-4.jpg

1955 Fender Twin-Amp (with cab restoration by Greg Hopkins).

Linhof_Special_038_Full_213-1.jpg

AHHHHHH...Shades of my misspent youth! Hadn't seen the old DeArmonds around in quite a while. Was wondering if they were still out there. And, yes, indeedy, am definitely thinking Lightnin' and Elmore!

AHHHHHH...Shades of my misspent youth! Hadn't seen the old DeArmonds around in quite a while. Was wondering if they were still out there. And' date=' yes, indeedy, am definitely thinking Lightnin' and Elmore![/quote']

The one in the picture I have had for many decades. My first "electric" guitar back in the early 1960s was a Guild acoustic with a DeArmond 210 pickup.

I still run across them- sometimes still slapped across the soundhole of some old "el cheapo" guitar.

I actually like the second version without the hiddn B pole the best. But there ain't nuttin' out there today that sounds the same.

Someone mentioned bass amps... I have a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp with a 15" sub and a horn. What would the pros/cons be of going this route for acoustic amplification? Also, I have a small 8 channel mixer, and have thought about running vocal and acoustic through it and into the Rumble as a small scale PA for open mic nights, songwriter nights, etc. Any thoughts?

Someone mentioned bass amps... I have a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp with a 15" sub and a horn. What would the pros/cons be of going this route for acoustic amplification? Also' date=' I have a small 8 channel mixer, and have thought about running vocal and acoustic through it and into the Rumble as a small scale PA for open mic nights, songwriter nights, etc. Any thoughts?[/quote']

I had the Rumble 100, played it for awhile and exchanged it for a Rumble 25 because I did not need such a big amp (I just monkey around on bass). But with the Rumble 100 and 25 I still occasionally plugged my acoustics into them. I can't explain it, but the sound out of that amp is a perfect amplification of my acoustic guitars' sound. No coloring at all. No harm will come to amp or guitar if you try it. I was amazed at how that amp simply AMPLIFIES the guitar's sound - no change in sound, it is simply louder. That's what you want from an acoustic guitar that is plugged in - same exact tone, just more volume.

Can't help you on the mixer question other than to say try it. You may be surprised at what your Rumble amp can do.

Look, manufacturers try to sell you all sorts of stuff that they say do one thing. Amps for acoustics, amps for basses, a tool just to remove your B string, another special tool to remove your A string.... They want you to buy more stuff! Fender will never tell you that their bass amps are perfect for acoustic guitars because they have acoustic guitar amps they wish to sell. But believe me, that Fender Rumble is a fantastic acoustic guitar amp. It is actually better than my Crate Taos which is an acoustic guitar amp!

I had the Rumble 100' date=' played it for awhile and exchanged it for a Rumble 25 because I did not need such a big amp (I just monkey around on bass). But with the Rumble 100 and 25 I still occasionally plugged my acoustics into them. I can't explain it, but the sound out of that amp is a perfect amplification of my acoustic guitars' sound. No coloring at all. No harm will come to amp or guitar if you try it. I was amazed at how that amp simply AMPLIFIES the guitar's sound - no change in sound, it is simply louder. That's what you want from an acoustic guitar that is plugged in - same exact tone, just more volume.[/quote']

It's SO nice to hear from someone who has actually had the experience! It was me who originally posted the remark about bass amps, you can find it above in this thread, Big Country.

Other than potential volume, could you tell any difference between the Rumble 100 and the Rumble 25? Bass extension could not be an issue, the frequency response of our low E string will not come within an octave of the capabilities of any bass amp......just curious to find out if you preferred the sound of the lower powered/smaller cone amps, or if there were some enhancement of clarity with more power and square inches of driver surface.

Thanks, BeatleNut!

Dugly :-k

Other than potential volume' date=' could you tell any difference between the Rumble 100 and the Rumble 25? [/quote']

I am not a bass guy so I don't think I can really help you here. I will say the 100 had a mid-scoop that I liked and used, and more EQ knobs which I always find a plus. I definitely was able to get the precise tone that I sought from the 100. With the 25 you more or less take what you get.

Main reason I opted for the 25 was not at all due to quality. It was simply because I realized after playing that I had absolutely no need for a bass amp as big, loud, and heavy as the 100. When I play bass it is mostly in a studio jamming with friends or recording little demo songs for fun. The 100 is not needed for that at all.

Archived