Gibson Brands Forums

VH1 best of the decade

Marcelo1281734115

I was watching the VH1 "Best of the 1990s" this week and I was surprised now bad all the music from this decade really was. Here are the list of the artists that they chose,...Nirvana, Soundgarden, Oasis, Beck, etc. Many of these bands, no one has heard of since their one-hit wonder. What surprised me is that even their one-hit sucked really bad! Unlike the giant acts I grew up listening to in the 70s and 80s, these artists will be quickly forgotten, they probably all have been forgotten by now if VH1 would not keep reminded us of them. The talent pool has eroded so badly snce the 80s, I just do not see any new artists that will transcend generations anymore.

As a guitar-rock lover, I have not seen much nice music in the last 20 years and this is mostly not just because I am an old fart. In fact, when, my son looks for some new song to learn to play on his guitar, he always prefers to look for something from the 60s, 70s or 80s. He also noticed that there has been a "talent-void" in the last 20 years. I was fortunate to grow up in the 70s and 80s when all these huge bands were around. Also, the 60s and even the 50s were not too far away, so I was exposed to those sounds too. In comparison, all that I see out there is so darn bad that comparing the last 2 decades to the previous 4 makes no sense. All that people listen to today are $hit like Madonna, Beyonce, Timberlake, Jonas Bros, American Idol winners,...the kind of crap that will erode your manhood if you listen for too long, even grow you a vagina, if you are not careful. Yikes!

I remember back in the late 70s, it also seemed then that "Rock had died" because of all the disco and the "You light up my life" crap that got all the airtime on the radio. Then, suddenly, Kiss released an album and "I was made for loving you" climbed the charts to Number 1. It now seemed like rock was back and there was a huge explosion that followed of huge bands after that. My guess is that rock bands went underground when disco came along, they were already there, but they did not get the exposure. Once disco died, all the exposure was theirs. I am hoping that something happens to trigger such a move today, but it's been so darn long now that I just stopped waiting.

I told teenage my son the other day that this market needs a young, talented, rocking band to shake it all loose, like when a young Def Leppard came on so strong in the early 80's and they were easy to relate to because they were younger than most established acts at the time. I told him "the market is now ripe for such a band, and you want to be in that band".

This is such a subjective and loaded topic. LOL! For "old farts" like ME, the 50's greats, were the "foundation," and

the 60's (and early 70's...pre-disco) were greatest single period, and/or the BEST time, in Rock and Roll...IMHO. Having said that, there has been great music, in every dacade, since...just not nearly as much, or as "original" in scope. For a long time, "Record companies" were responsible...or at least AS responsible for that decline, as the musicians. They'd find something that "sold," and sign a hundred bands that had the same "basic" sound, and saturate the scene with that! In the 60's especially, every band had their own, and pretty unique sound. Instantly recognizable, even by our Parents, if they kept up, at all. I've heard, on many, many occasions, within the last 20 years especially, young people ragging on their own generations "music!" So...??? Rock will always be self-limiting, to a certain extent...it's kind of "built in," but...that's not necessarily a bad thing. Keeping it simple, can be it's strength, too. The Beatles, took "Rock" about as far as anyone could, really. The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and some other's too. But, most music since, has been even more "derivative," than what was going on, then. Maybe, people overthink "rock," too much? Who knows? In the final analysis, like any art form, it's up to the individual. As the old cliche' goes: "I might not know "art," but...I know what I like!" And, that's all that counts, really. Besides, as history has shown, time and time again, the "good/great" stuff, lasts...the rest doesn't, no matter how you repackage it.

I think there's still good, even great "Rock" music being made, you just have to find it...what you like.

CB

Archived