Gibson Brands Forums

hope it doesnt explode

stabarah

i own an epiphone black beauty 3 (1970) that came with a horseshoe bibgsy made by epiphone already on it, the serial number is I703208* ( the star is for security reasons ). Do you know if this is a hand-made guitar and how many where made. My guess is 100. But i am also looking towards completely re-doing the wiring. im just wondering if my plans are worth putting the vintage to void and if they'll work and how i can really do this. so here are the things i would want and how i would do them. Please correct any errors or things that would mess up.

change the pots to be like the ultra-II: neck volume ( what is normally nanomag volume ) , mid volume, bridge volume, master tone. Except instead of still having the selector, the pots would be the only things that control the pickups.

the selector will play a major part in all this: first, i will buy a new uncovered pickup for the mid. Second, the selector will control what part of the pickup is in use and transmiting to the mid pot. the 3-way selector will either choose;

single coil, humbucker,other single coil ( half the same humbucker ).

I've looked for schematics on the web for the past month, but none match my specific wirings.

All i need from you is info on the serial number, will my plans work, how to do all this, and any other comments that could prove helpfull.

-thanks guys

i own an epiphone black beauty 3 (1970) that came with a horseshoe bibgsy made by epiphone already on it' date=' the serial number is I703208* ( the star is for security reasons ). Do you know if this is a hand-made guitar and how many where made. My guess is 100. But i am also looking towards completely re-doing the wiring. im just wondering if my plans are worth putting the vintage to void and if they'll work and how i can really do this. so here are the things i would want and how i would do them. Please correct any errors or things that would mess up.

change the pots to be like the ultra-II: neck volume ( what is normally nanomag volume ) , mid volume, bridge volume, master tone. Except instead of still having the selector, the pots would be the only things that control the pickups.

the selector will play a major part in all this: first, i will buy a new uncovered pickup for the mid. Second, the selector will control what part of the pickup is in use and transmiting to the mid pot. the 3-way selector will either choose;

I've looked for schematics on the web for the past month, but none match my specific wirings.

All i need from you is info on the serial number, will my plans work, how to do all this, and any other comments that could prove helpfull.

-thanks guys[/quote']

Do whatever it takes to make the guitar most-satisfying to you. Your guitar dates to March of 1997 and was made by the Saein (Shine) contract factory in Korea. These guitars were mass-produced but actual production numbers aren't ever made public. It doesn't have and isn't likely to ever have any collectible factor so you should feel free to "make it your own". The Epiphone brand name did not appear on any Les Paul models until 1988 and these guitars were substantially different from what is now sold as a Les Paul model with the Epiphone brand. Any four wire, coil-tapped pickup can be made to function as a single coil via an added switch. There are many sites online that offer various wiring diagrams to help you. Good luck.

Lord Nelson

well thanks paruwi,man that's a bummer, i only paid 500$ with a 100$ hardshell case included in the price. So im not to swindled for the price. I dont care guitare-wise because she sounds like a blues angel and i still love love her. By the way, were d'ya find the serial number description. id like to check it out

Your guitar is made by Saein (Korea) in '97. It's not handmade, at least not any more as current offerings. The Limited Edition stamp on the back of the headstock is not a indication of amount made. It just indicates production is limited over a certain time. In other words Epiphone produced this guitar as long as it would sell.

[edit: hmm, I need to speed up my typing]

thanks also lord nelson' date=' ya, still a bummer. But in this case i really can do anything. Do you know if the black beauty mid humbucker is four-wire and coil-tapped? Cuz it would be cool if i didnt have to find and buy a new pickup.[/quote']

Why a bummer? You paid a fair price for a nice guitar. That's far better than paying a stupid amount of money for what is actually a very ordinary guitar just because it happens to be older or because someone says it has premium value. Enjoy your guitar and don't worry about whether it's vintage or not. Most of the people who do the vintage thing haven't really got a clue anyway and just go along with it all because they find it's cool or something to pay more than you need to for less than you're actually getting. I don't know what pickups are in your guitar but I'm certain someone here can help you with that. Good luck.

Lord Nelson

hey thanks man. I guess your right, i see people with their vintage gibson's or their robot guitars from the future. Something that's supposed to make you play better. And like anyone, i sometimes get pulled into the whole vintage and premium craze, but then i remember how the inventers and pioneers of blues ( my personal favorite ) started off of nothing but scrap guitars and still made beautiful music.

If my humbucker doesnt have the four-wire thing, ill go for a seymour duncan

the selector will play a major part in all this: first' date=' i will buy a new uncovered pickup for the mid. Second, the selector will control what part of the pickup is in use and transmiting to the mid pot. the 3-way selector will either choose;

single coil, humbucker,other single coil ( half the same humbucker ).[/quote']

The difference between 2 single coils in the same bucker is nearly identical. I don't think it's worth the effort. You can use a 2 way switch for hum-single.

is four-wire the same thing as four conductor? And when you say that i need four-wire, which ones go where? is it 2 for the humbucker, one for single coil, and one for the volume pot? or whatever, it would just be helpfull if i knew a little better about what im up against.

-thanks

Four wire and four conductor is the same thing. As for what you're doing, I don't know if the 3 way switch will work... Basically, a 4 wire pup works as such: you have 4 wires, not including bare wire for ground. One is connected to each end of each coil. In order for it to function as a humbucker, you have to connect one end of one coil to the end of the other coil and tape those wires off... Of the remaining two wires, one goes to the volume pot and one goes to ground. In order to switch to single coil mode, you install a switch that when closed, connects the two taped off wires to ground, effectively shorting out one of the coils. I don't think a regular 3 way switch is capable of doing the one on, both on, other one on thing, but one, both, or none might be possible. I will try to work out a schematic when I get home for what you are trying to do... I could do it now at work, but I have no way of posting it from my phone. I'll see what I can come up with for you though.

As for pickup selection, I would recommend a 59 if you go Duncan, or you might want to consider the GFS equivalent. You'll pay half the price for 90 percent of the tone... Not a bad deal. I have a few of their pickups, they're very good for the price.

Okay, I have drawn up something that should work just as you want, with three independent volumes, master tone, and the toggle switch will control the middle pickup's settings between single coil, humbucker, and off. Switch up will be off, switch in mid position will be single coil, and switch down will be full humbucker.

Took me a while to work it out, but I'm 100% certain it will work as intended. I'll draft it up in photoshop when I get home, give me a day or so. I have to work again first thing tomorrow, so I don't know how late I'll want to be up on the computer, but I should be able to post something usable by Sunday morning. (East coast USA time that is, LOL.)

neck volume ( what is normally nanomag volume ) ' date=' mid volume, bridge volume, master tone. Except instead of still having the selector, the pots would be the only things that control the pickups.

[/quote']

The first part can be done easily. Pretty sure the schematic is floating around somewhere.

Regarding the 3-way selector switch. Two single-coil sounds is pointless. The coils and magnet-field are right next to eachother and won't make a discernable difference. You're better of with parallel, phase or off.

The first part can be done easily. Pretty sure the schematic is floating around somewhere.

Regarding the 3-way selector switch. Two single-coil sounds is pointless. The coils and magnet-field are right next to eachother and won't make a discernable difference.

You're better of with parallel' date=' phase or off.[/quote']

Yes. I've tried a phase reversal mini-toggle and although it's good from the novelty

thin nasal sound, it has limited use as well.

If he wants more of a single coil sound, better off to replace the mid p_up with a

GFS Mean 90. It fits right in to the humbucker cavity, can be raised up and down

and easy to wire up..only two wires.

wow, nice job generation zero, thanks for the help. But as for carverman's gfs mean 90 pickup. You said they only have two wires, dont i need four from what everyone is telling me? because if the gfs mean 90only has two wire, id probly just keep my alnico that's already in there, that one has two wires. Im pretty knew to all this, so thanks for the time guys.

I may be wrong (i've seen me do it b4)' date=' but isn't the Duncan "P-Rail"

a p'up that can be used as a single coil, a P-90, or a Humbucker?

I think it's a S/D...if not, somebody correct me, because I sure want to try one out.[/quote']

Yep that is the P-rail. For my Black Beauty I am considering that one for the middle position witha Jazz and JB combo for the other two positions already purchased. I think a mini toggle may be needed for the P-Rail to work in all modes, but not 100% on that

one pickup that ive been looking at for the past weeks is the '59 vintage sh-1 (in zebra colour). it has four conductors and looks pretty mean. i play led zeppelin style stuff, so soundwise, it should be fun. Another good pickup i want is the ol' p-rail. that one would also be nice. One thing that concerns me is changing the pots, can i use the bridge tone pot for master tone. and what about finding the extra volume pot ( the one that will be mid volume )?

here's the links to the sh-1: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/59_model_sh1_an/

The GFS pickups are great for the money. They are sold factory direct, the only place you can get them is from that site, that's one of the ways they keep the cost down. I don't think I have heard anybody have anything bad to say about them, really.

As for the pots, if I were you, I would just plan on replacing all 4 while you're in there... Decent pots are only 4 or 5 bucks a piece, and will be a noticable improvement over what is in the guitar now. Likewise, if you have the money, it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out all 3 pickups... The 59 or any GFS is going to sound noticably better than the stock epi pickups, at least in my experience.

Either way, I should have that schematic for you some time tomorrow. I don't have time to get to it before work like I had hoped, but I'll bang it out tonight when I get home and post it then. ("tonight" in this context actually means "early tomorrow morning", but I usually come home and get on the computer for a while anyway, usually playing World Of Warcraft, LOL.)

i appreciate the time ,gen. zero. a schematic would be great for the new pups and pots. So basically, this is what will be new on the black beauty:

All new audio 500K ohm pots (4)

3 volume, 1 tone

3 new pickups ( '59 sh-1, maybe p-rail, whatever is good)

polish for the finish

the selctor swithes the mid pup from single, humbucker, off

new gold covers for the neck and bridge pups.

the new wiring job of course

new dials for the new pots

maybe maybe a new pickguard

once generation zero posts the posts the schematic, i shouldnt need any more help. If anyone needs to tell me something helpfull with the mods before their done, be sure to have it. Ill post pics of her after her makeover.

Cheers/Cho! and thanks

Archived