Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul studio project

davidg3333

Only if you happen to have a lot of spare parts hanging around. The hardware to outfit that body with Gibson or other high-quality parts would be $500-700, and a new one is $1,199 at MF with a return policy, warranty, etc. Plus the labor's done, and it would have a higher resale if bought new and left original. My guess is they stripped it to part out. It's probably worth more that way than trying to sell it used in one piece.

I agree with brianh - but this is excellent for someone who knows they like the studio body but wish it had X pickups and Y hardware and Z electronics. A lot of project guitars are very beat up and need a lot of cosmetic and or structural work, but this guy (the Stratsosphere) makes his living by buying new or gently used Fenders usually, disassembling them, and selling off the parts as a profit. Looks like he's taken that into the Gibson realm now too. So, you know that this project body will come to you in excellent condition and need very little work (other than assembly) to get it playing again.

I think the cost estimate is a bit over the top brian.

Maybe if you got all genuine gibson parts and didn't shop a lot.

But tuners pup elec bridge tail can be quite a bit less than that and still get you top notch tone.

And I like mahogany top better than maple. Still it's hard to judge any material without hearing it.

I think it's a fair deal.

If I had the cash I might do it myself.

TWANG

Archived