Gibson Brands Forums

Bought and Returned a Dot at Best Buy

BillyGibson

I went to Best Buy Tuesday to look around at lunch. They had a Dot priced at 299.

This was not a studio either, but a regular Vintage Sunburst with 2 tone and 2 volume

knobs. I played it a little and took it home thinking I got a deal. After playing it some

more, I discovered the neck was wavy about 1/2 way up. I thought it was my imagination.

I started looking at it from different angles. Sure enough - waves on the neck near the fret

board. The more I ran my fingers up and down it, it felt like a wash board.

I took it back yesterday. The salesperson admitted about 1 in 5 Dots is having

this problem. Since he had my money, he wanted to up sell me a Sheraton II

for another $400. They didn't have any more Dots. I looked at the Sheraton. It was

their only one too and was a little beat up. He offered to come down to $599. I passed.

Then he wanted to sell me a Fender Tele. Huh? I got my money back and left.

I'm off to Guitar Center today at lunch to look at a Dot Delux Flame Top they are holding

for me. I called them last night and they have one left. I hope it's a good one. With the

gold hardware and flame top, it looks as good or better than the Sheraton II and is $300

less.

Well, if what that salesman at BB told you is, in fact, true...that would be a 20% unacceptable ratio,

and that's WAY out of line, in manufacturing quality! That's disturbing...IF it's in fact, true?? The thing

that disturbs me, and I'm quite sure others here...is that these "horror stories" are (seemingly) on the

increase...7 years, beyond what should be any "change-over" bumps in the road. I'm sure that Japanese,

Korean...(even Indonesian) percentages are far lower! Hopefully, anyway.

Anyway...good luck, with Guitar Center...hope they have a good one, for you!

CB

Honestly, I'm not even sure why Best Buy has the music section these days anyway. It's like trusting Wal-Mart with major car repairs. Some things should have their own stores, and I think instruments should be sold with instruments. At least you got to try it out, unlike guitar shopping at a pawn shop. Best Buy's target market is probably younger teens with rich parents who are impulse buying.

Way to go, Bill. Of course, you will find it back in stock until someone comes along with lower expectations and takes it home. At least you didn't have to eat it. If you had purchased it from an online retailer, it would have cost you the shipping to return it.

Buy those guitars from a mom and pop dealer. Then you can cherry pick and get the one that was put together the right way.

Guitar Center came through for me. I bought the Dot Deluxe Vintage Sunburst with a Flame Maple Top. Gold pick ups, and gold Grover Tuners. I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera. My wife used it last and it's not where it normally is kept. I don't think I should go wake her up at 5:30 a.m to tell her I need it to post a picture. What the heck. Maybe I'll do it anyway...

I'm now feling pretty old after talking to the salesperson there. He said, they only had one of these because the kids all want the "shredder" guitars. This one went unnoticed, so it's in great shape, i.e., it didn't get played very much. I brought it back to work to show a few friends. My assistant said, my dad would like that. I'm old enough to be her dad too. Then another said, my grand pappy would like that too. I'm only 45!

This guitar is outstanding. My friend at work who usually goes with me to look at guitars has over 60 of them now. He said, the neck on this feels like a Gibson. He also likes the golden color of the sunburst better than the yellowish color of the Gibson. He was impressed with this one.

I'll definitely post a picture when I find the camera sometime over the weekend.

Guitar Center came through for me. I bought the Dot Deluxe Vintage Sunburst with a Flame Maple Top. Gold pick ups' date=' and gold Grover Tuners. I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera. My wife used it last and it's not where it normally is kept. I don't think I should go wake her up at 5:30 a.m to tell her I need it to post a picture. What the heck. Maybe I'll do it anyway...

I'm now feling pretty old after talking to the salesperson there. He said, they only had one of these because the kids all want the "shredder" guitars. This one went unnoticed, so it's in great shape, i.e., it didn't get played very much. I brought it back to work to show a few friends. My assistant said, my dad would like that. I'm old enough to be her dad too. Then another said, my grand pappy would like that too. I'm only 45!

This guitar is outstanding. My friend at work who usually goes with me to look at guitars has over 60 of them now. He said, the neck on this feels like a Gibson. He also likes the golden color of the sunburst better than the yellowish color of the Gibson. He was impressed with this one.

I'll definitely post a picture when I find the camera sometime over the weekend.[/quote']Yep, that's what I ended up with after playing several guitars. I am "officially" old at 51. O:) But our band plays stuff from the 60s, so I guess I am older than I look (or something like that).

I spent a lot of time tweaking the intonation of my Dot Deluxe. I had some trouble with the first 3 frets being 2 cents sharp. I bought a new nut and lowered the action as low as it can go. I still have some intonation issues, but its now workable.

And, for solos, the Dot is sweet and easy to play. Have fun.

Timandbob: I've been fiddling with the Buzz Feiten tuning system thingy which compensates for the tuning problem on the first 3 to 5 frets. After the hype has settled, it seems that all you need is a shelf nut such as the Earvana, a good ear, adjustable bridge, and a Feiten-tempered electronic tuner like the Korg DT-7 or Peterson V-SAM tuner, or if you're really picky, the Peterson 490 8-octave - the most accurate. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Archived