Gibson Brands Forums

Making my guitar tone less bright without a tone pot?

mrjones200x

I just got back my homebuilt strat Van Halen replica guitar and its a simple setup. 1 volume (500K) to Epi LP std humbuckler (Uncovered) Pictures are on the chipped and scratched thread if anyone interested.

The guitar is very bright sounding indeed and i would like to lessen this if possible. The guitar doesnt have a tone knob as the design of the guitar doesnt have one. Could i some how use a capacitor in this simple circuit to make it less bright and where would it need to be placed and what value? At the moment i can achieve a great sound from both my amps but the treble is on zero on my laney and my Valve junior has the tone on about 1 out of ten and id like a bit more control on the amps if i wanted it to be darker sounding which isnt poss now there already on the min setting.. O:)

Cheers.

You could use a 300K potmetervalue?

In theory it is possible to lower the resistance value of a pot by placing a resistor in parallel with the pot(outer lugs).

Sorry, don't know the equation of R-values in parallel. Keep in mind there is some funny stuff going on which screws with the taper of the pot.

I just did this to one of my guitars (not an Epi, but that doesn't matter.) Use a 250K vol. pot. It takes a little of that "high-end spike" off. And the "golden rule" is to use 500K with humbuckers, but don't buy into that- tone is what YOU want to hear.

The guitar I did it in was a P-90 guitar...a PRS SE One, which is basically a copy of the Gibson Les Paul Jr. Came with a 500K vol pot. Did a little research, and found out the original (vintage) Gibson Les Paul Jrs had 250K or 300K pots - NOT 500K. Switched it out, much better.

I would suggest that the easiest and most versatile add-on would be an external EQ, such as the Boss GE-7 (7 band graphic EQ). I have one and it was money very well spent. I replaced the master tone control on my Epi Zephyr Blues Deluxe with a 6-way pickup selector pot, and use the GE-7 to shape the tone. You won't believe the difference it makes with virtually any guitar/amp combination. Good luck!

Turn the treble down, on the amp! Mid-range and "brightness" or presence, too...if you have them.

And, if nothing else, turn the amp toward the wall, or corner. Speads out the sound (not as pointed and harsh),

and generally "warms" it up, as well. Just some ideas...

Fender amps, too...have a more pointed, almost "ice pick" like treble/mid-range...at least in my experience.

VOX (and Marshall) have a less pointed (but still nice) treble. I've noticed this, time and time again...A B'ing

them, side by side, at the same volume and tone settings. So, in that way, the amp you're using will factor

in, as well.

CB

Maple fretboard does equal brighter tone, all other variables aside. You could also rewire the guitar with a concentric pot, basically two pots in one hole with stacked knobs. They're more common on basses, but have been used on guitars as well... My older model Parker Fly had one on it for the piezo pickup. You would use the top knob for volume, and the bottom knob, or outer ring, whatever you want to call it, as a tone control. Or, just drill another hole for a tone knob, that's what Eddie would do if it was his guitar and he wanted a tone control on it. He'd probably use a dull pair of scissors to drill the hole with, knowing his track record, LOL...

Archived