Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Std Weight Relieved?

Sinb

Hey whats up everybody? I have a question, My Epiphone Les Paul Std VS Plain Top seems pretty light compared to the LP 100 I used to have. Is my guitar (or all the Epi LP Std's at that) weight relieved? Because The in all of the research I've done, nothing says anything about it being chambered or anything! Or was my Epi 100 just too heavy?

Thanks in advance and I hope everybody has a good weekend! =D>

Peace,

Sinful Bane :-$

RSD is correct. None of the Epi LPs(save the Ultra) are weight-relieved. Over the years Epi has used different woods and combinations to build their Les Pauls. Including the lighter alder and IIRC even basswood in the very early Samick-made LP incursions.

With all the variety in used woods it's no surprise weight can vary greatly between the different models.

I have wondered about that myself. My MIK '56 Goldtop is quite heavy - similar to the Gibby LP Deluxe I had in the 70's. I picked up a MIC '56 Goldtop a while back and I couldn't believe how light it was! It had that top-heavy feel of the SG. Maybe I'm old-school, but I expect an LP to be a heavy, solid guitar. After picking up the Chinese one, I was very glad that I got the Korean one while they were still in production!

• 1 year later...

not sure about that......................I picked up a 2006 MIC Les Paul Standard today and it was light! Popped her on the scales, she was 7.1lbs compared to my Les Paul Custom that weighs over 9lbs! It definitely had to be chambered to be so much lighter than the other one.

It was a lefty though............

maybe just not choice woods?' date=' *this is going out on a limb here* but they might be going for wood that is lighter in weight for shipping the materials to there shop and shipping them out dunno just a thought[/quote']

Funny thing is, the best mahogany is really light.

Original '59 LP's were far lighter than what one would normally consider an LP to weigh. Think 8 lbs compared to 11-12.

Archived