Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Juice Attenuator?

Hey guys, I got a second VJr head and cab from a guy on craigslist the other day, and he threw in a TubeJuice 15w Max attenuator. I haven't tried it yet, but I was curious if anyone here had one and what their opinions might be of it. I am going to try it out tomorrow probably but I haven't had time so far. Poor fella must have been down on his luck, sold me the VJr half stack and the attenuator for 150 dollars. I almost felt guilty. Version 3 VJr too! Anyhow, opinions on attenuator anyone? I'll give my review after I've tried it.

I have a 50w one that I bought way, way before the advent of the vvr.

Mine is a ceramic dual coil wound one that's wired for 16ohms.

Works fine, I can dial the volume down just fine..

I even have used the '16ohm' TubeJuice with my 8ohm speaker on the 8ohm jack. Did do any thing to the amp.

I like the vvr better though.

Just got done trying it out. It really works well and doesn't suck out too much of the high end actually. I didn't put it all the way up to max attenuation, as I didn't need it that quiet. It definitely takes it down to bedroom levels and still sounds clear. So whether it's "an $8.95 L-Pad in a box" or a "high frequency comp" uber-attenuator I got free with my 2nd VJr, it does a damn fine job of letting me push my amp to sweet overdrive with minimum loss. Sounds great, I recommend it if you want an inexpensive way to play without irritating wife and kids.

I watched the Youtube clip after I tried it, as I didn't think to check there for info, and I must say it's an accurate representation of it's sound quality. Color me happy. :-

Good info in his faq at the website. I am seriously wondering why I never looked at them before. I am too cheap to buy a weber or marshall, but this thing is pretty freaking cool. It's nice to hear that sweet overdrive at a level that doesn't get my kids coming into the garage telling me they can't hear iCarly or something like that. To keep this Epi-forum friendly, I have to say that my EPIPHONE VALVE JR. HEAD AND MATCHING 12 CABINET ARE OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS, IN FACT, I OWN 2, ALONG WITH MY EPIPHONE LP GUITAR.

Whew!

Just got done trying it out. It really works well and doesn't suck out too much of the high end actually. I didn't put it all the way up to max attenuation' date=' as I didn't need it that quiet. It definitely takes it down to bedroom levels and still sounds clear. So whether it's "an $8.95 L-Pad in a box" or a "high frequency comp" uber-attenuator I got free with my 2nd VJr, it does a damn fine job of letting me push my amp to sweet overdrive with minimum loss. Sounds great, I recommend it if you want an inexpensive way to play without irritating wife and kids.

I watched the Youtube clip after I tried it, as I didn't think to check there for info, and I must say it's an accurate representation of it's sound quality. Color me happy. :D

[/quote']

Even if it does drop some highs, that happens when you saturate the output transformer in a cranked amp anyway. They go into a more midrange mode as the OT sags.

Archived