Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page lost Les Paul Custom w/bigsby

ToneBaron

Jimmy Page Gibson Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby

JimmyPageGibsonLesPaul.jpg

Early in Jimmy Page’s career, one of his most relied upon guitars was the three-pickup 1960 Les Paul Custom “Black Beauty” with a bigsby tailpiece. In 1970, the guitar was stolen and never recovered, but thanks to the Gibson Custom Shop, this guitar is backing the form of a new Gibson Custom Shop Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom.

So who wants one?

If so, with or without the Bigsby?

• 3 weeks later...

I also, see some differences comparing the one in the photo above, to the one in the link. Aside from the differences in the black Vs. gold Bigsby, notice the middle pickup is turned in the opposite direction, and it would appear, unleess it's a flash bulb reflection, that the original had chrome inserts in the top hat knobs. While subtle, they are differences.

I also' date=' see some differences comparing the one in the photo above, to the one in the link. Aside from the differences in the black Vs. gold Bigsby, notice the middle pickup is turned in the opposite direction, and it would appear, unleess it's a flash bulb reflection, that the original had chrome inserts in the top hat knobs. While subtle, they [i']are [/i]differences.

I agree - there are several differences between the new JPC and the original that was lost. My question to Gibson: is this a matter of not having the original guitar to work from, plus a fading memory from Mr. JP re: the original specs on of that guitar? Or, did Gibson and JP intentionally make changes to the new guitar?

I have #162, and while it is a beautiful guitar I'm a bit disappointed that is is not as was advertised: an authentic reproduction of JP's lost LP.

O:)

Basically what we paid $1700 extra for, over the available 3 pickup VOS model in ebony, is:

1) Black paint on the Bigsby

2) Page pickups

3) 6 way switch

4) 1 push pull pot

5) Upgraded tuners

6) Page COA

7) Silkscreening on case and truss rod cover.

If I missed something please let me know.

So that probably comes up to another $500 in parts at best.

I suppose the balance of about $1200 gets split between retailers, Gibson, and Mr. Page.

I have been a corporate image consultant for the past 20 years, and in my opinion this is a text book case for customer dissatisfaction. I have a rather lengthy explanation that backs up this opinion but I will spare you.

Bottom line from my perspective. I blew $6000 plus tax and time on a guitar worth almost $2000 less.

It IS a great playing and sounding guitar and the Gibson craftsman have made a great product, but the marketing and design team have failed for the reasons touched on in this forum.

Basically what we paid $1700 extra for' date=' over the available 3 pickup VOS model in ebony, is:

2) Page pickups

3) 6 way switch

4) 1 push pull pot

5) Upgraded tuners

6) Page COA

I suppose the balance of about $1200 gets split between retailers, Gibson, and Mr. Page.

I have been a corporate image consultant for the past 20 years, and in my opinion this is a text book case for customer dissatisfaction. I have a rather lengthy explanation that backs up this opinion but I will spare you.

Bottom line from my perspective. I blew $6000 plus tax and time on a guitar worth almost $2000 less.

It IS a great playing and sounding guitar and the Gibson craftsman have made a great product, but the marketing and design team have failed for the reasons touched on in this forum.[/quote']

Very well said, I think. I'm still waiting for mine so I'll see for myself I guess. My question would be, is there some special attention either to wood, or set up, i.e. quality in general that would make these guitars worth the extra money? I mean, one of the implications is that Page himself approved of these, even though that's only true technically for 25 of them. Maybe I'm an optimist, but it's that implied value that I'm hoping will be a reality and end up in a phenomenal guitar. I'm anxious to hear opinions on whether anyone feels this is the case.

Basically what we paid $1700 extra for' date=' over the available 3 pickup VOS model in ebony, is:

2) Page pickups

3) 6 way switch

4) 1 push pull pot

5) Upgraded tuners

6) Page COA

It IS a great playing and sounding guitar and the Gibson craftsman have made a great product, but the marketing and design team have failed for the reasons touched on in this forum.[/quote']

But to be fair, you could raise these questions about any 2 guitars that differ in price. Is the figured top and slimmer neck of an R9 worth the premium you will pay for it over an R8 or a Goldtop? is a Historic LP Black Beauty worth more than a non-Historic LP Custom? Value is in the eyes and mind of the buyer, as i'm sure you kow from both your personal and work experience.

Clearly, you don't think the guitar was worth it, which is OK (i hate it for you, but obviously you're entitlted to your opinion). I'd like to think there's something i could post here that would help you change your mind, but i don't think there is...

• 2 weeks later...

if you look on the dvd, he replaced the neck and bridge pickups

dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, and i couldnt recognize what was in the neck , but it had zebra bobins

i really wish i had the new page les paul- the 60s neck, the switch possibilities

ahhhh add another one to the list(behind a gold top, a wine red delux, an alpine white custom, and a sunburst jr)

[-X

where do i find the winning lottery tickets ???

Archer993 wrote:

Basically what we paid $1700 extra for, over the available 3 pickup VOS model in ebony, is:

2) Page pickups

3) 6 way switch

4) 1 push pull pot

5) Upgraded tuners

6) Page COA

It IS a great playing and sounding guitar and the Gibson craftsman have made a great product, but the marketing and design team have failed for the reasons touched on in this forum.

****************************************************************************************

Maybe an analogy would help. A chicken dinner is a chicken dinner, the cost of the materials to make it are roughly the same anywhere. But if you had hired Emeril Lagasse to "design" your chicken dinner, you can bet that it is going to cost much more than the sum of the raw materials because you are having a master chef come up with a superior recipe. Jimmy Page is a "tone" master as we all know. He mods his guitars to get the tone combos he is looking for and all would agree that he is pretty damn successful at it. So he has taken a 60 Black Beauty and put in the mods that he would have done to his original had it not been stolen. The total package is now worth more than the sum of the parts. You pay for that expertise in design.

Yeah, you can do it cheaper yourself, but is it worth more with YOUR name on it or his?

My apologies, I did not mean to come across that way. The problem with working with text. After rereading the post I can understand how you might come to that conclusion. My real point was that if I was to do the same mods no one would pay extra, but if a celeb does it ... then yeah expect to pay more.

Again, sorry if it came across harsh.

My apologies' date=' I did not mean to come across that way. The problem with working with text. After rereading the post I can understand how you might come to that conclusion. My real point was that if I was to do the same mods no one would pay extra, but if a celeb does it ... then yeah expect to pay more.

Again, sorry if it came across harsh.[/quote']

OK, thanks.

Archived