Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone elite j45

doogerboosh

Hey Guys, new to this forum, go easy on me if I am breaking any rules...

I've gotten into searching for epiphone elitist les pauls lately and ran into an acoustic elite j45-vs. I tried to find as much information as possible, but am a bit stumped.

The guitar dater project doesn't recognize the serial number, so no help there. Also I've read some talk about the elite j-45 but not the vs.

I wondering, do you guys know of this guitar and what do you think of it? If it is an Elite, it is definitely made in Japan right? Also, how much would it be worth? I know when these were actively sold new, they went for around $1k, no? (I wasn't into guitars then so I wouldn't know :)) Would 700 be reasonable? It seems there an active pickup installed as well...

I also read somewhere here that the epiphone j-45, elite or not, doesn't sound that great (as opposed to epiphone texans or what not) what do you all think?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance for any help!!

Also called the Model ELJ5 Japan, jumbo style, with a solid spruce top, solid Mahogany back and mahogany sides 1 piece mahogany set neck rosewood fingerbaord 20 frets with bone saddle and nut gover tuners made between 2003-2004 had a MSR $1614.00 about $1200 street price and one in excellent shape would sell for $700-800 one in average shgape $375-450

They were probably one of the nicer models made durting that time and could play, if you cna do try first but and if there are to many bumps and bruises on her I would certainly talk him down closer to the average price range.Ship................but a very nice ax.They were pretty darn close to the Elitist 65Texan (ELTX Japan ) except the Texan had an adjustable saddle

Also called the Model ELJ5 Japan' date=' jumbo style, with a solid spruce top, solid Mahogany back and mahogany sides 1 piece mahogany set neck rosewood fingerbaord 20 frets with bone saddle and nut gover tuners made between 2003-2004 had a MSR $1614.00 about $1200 street price and one in excellent shape would sell for $700-800 one in average shgape $375-450

They were probably one of the nicer models made durting that time and could play, if you cna do try first but and if there are to many bumps and bruises on her I would certainly talk him down closer to the average price range.Ship................but a very nice ax.They were pretty darn close to the Elitist 65Texan (ELTX Japan ) except the Texan had an adjustable saddle[/quote']

To the above, I just want to add that both the Elitist Texan and Elitist J45 were built to their orignal scale; the Texan is long scale, and the J45 is short scale, just for the record.

Red 333

Yes' date=' they're made in Japan. $700 sounds about right if it's in excellent condition and comes with a hard case.

Will you have a chance to play it before you buy it?[/quote']

Unfortunately, I will not...

I think in this case, there's no original hard shell, but there is a generic hard shell....

Also, what do you think about the aftermarket fishman pickup? What generally are thoughts on these aftermarket mods? Does it increase value or decrease value? I suppose if you are a recording artist, it is an added benefit, but for me personally, i prefer original stock...

Knowing these facts, would $700 still be alright?

Based on recent Ebay auctions, 700 sounds pretty fair, but is no bargain without the original case. Will the seller allow you to return it if you're not happy?

I still think $700 is a lot of money and there are lots of good guitars at that price. There are excellent axes coming out of China now in that range. You could also get a used Larrivee.

Don't get me wrong. The Epi Elite series is first rate. Just be certain you're getting the best deal for your hard earned cash.

Based on recent Ebay auctions' date=' 700 sounds pretty fair, but is no bargain without the original case. Will the seller allow you to return it if you're not happy?

I still think $700 is a lot of money and there are lots of good guitars at that price. There are excellent axes coming out of China now in that range. You could also get a used Larrivee.

Don't get me wrong. The Epi Elite series is first rate. Just be certain you're getting the best deal for your hard earned cash.[/quote']

I think return is possible, just minus some shipping costs on my part, etc.

Assuming the original case is about $150... probably $500 for the whole thing is more reasonable huh?

As far as value goes, I was kind of lured in because of the quality of the Elite/Elitist Les Pauls (better than Standard or Studio USA Gibsons in my opinion). I figured an Elite/Elitist acoustic might have the same bang for the buck. If he doesn't bite for that price drop though, then I'll just give up.

As for the installed pickup, any thoughts on whether this increases / decreases value?

I believe that most mods, especially to acoustic guitars, decrease the re-sell value but $500 may a bit on the low side. If the guitar is in very good condition I would think $700 is more realistic being that they are getting harder and harder to come across.

• 2 months later...

Funny...I just got mine last month, an Epi Elite J-45 Vintage Sunburst with a Fishman pickup installed, and no original case. I paid $399 for the guitar and $70 for the EDREAD case from Sweetwater, and had it set up by my tech.

It is now my favorite guitar. Seriously. It plays so nice, projects like a cannon, and sounds wonderful plugged or unplugged. I love the Fishman, being able to play this guitar plugged just adds to its versatility. I agree that it somewhat devalues the collectability, but I don't see myself selling this one anyway. I think it is done pretty well and the pickup is pretty unobtrusive, and the jack is through the end pin.

I think I got an outstanding deal, and I would pay $700 for THIS guitar if I had to buy it all over again. These Epi Elites were not made in large numbers, so I think they will have some value. I have tried several Masterbilts, and I think this is a superior product. Fit, finish, playability, & sound in my case is excellent.

The Elite series is going to be better than the majority of other stuff you could get in that price range IMO. I would quite happily pay that for the guitar. For me personally the aftermarket fishman is a bonus because I play my acoustic live a lot for gigs and recently bought a korean EJ-160e with added Piezo. That cost me £350. I would happily pay £500-600 for a Japanese Epi with pick up.

No elitist case is a bummer. Try and find out whether it is factory 2nd or stamped USEd because i thought all elitist guitars came with the case and have never understood how it could be separated from it.

The Elite series is going to be better than the majority of other stuff you could get in that price range IMO. I would quite happily pay that for the guitar.

Better than even a lot of stuff way above that price range. They can certainly hold their own with thier Gibson counterparts.

Red 333

Funny...I just got mine last month' date=' an Epi Elite J-45 Vintage Sunburst with a Fishman pickup installed, and no original case. I paid $399 for the guitar and $70 for the EDREAD case from Sweetwater, and had it set up by my tech.

It is now my favorite guitar. Seriously. It plays so nice, projects like a cannon, and sounds wonderful plugged or unplugged. I love the Fishman, being able to play this guitar plugged just adds to its versatility. I agree that it somewhat devalues the collectability, but I don't see myself selling this one anyway. I think it is done pretty well and the pickup is pretty unobtrusive, and the jack is through the end pin.

I think I got an outstanding deal, and I would pay $700 for THIS guitar if I had to buy it all over again. These Epi Elites were not made in large numbers, so I think they will have some value. I have tried several Masterbilts, and I think this is a superior product. Fit, finish, playability, & sound in my case is excellent. [/quote']

Good score!;) =D>

Now...we just need to see some pics!:-s

Archived