Gibson Brands Forums

My Epi Les Paul Classic with NEW PUPS!

w1av

Just got everything finished today....NEW GFS Vintage 59's.....NEW pots, caps, jack, switch and new #10 strings.....what a beauty!!! I am sitting here just staring at this baby......I ditched the cream colored pup rings and have black ones on there now. The black rings give much more contrast to the chrome pups.

lespaulmodify002.jpg

lespaulmodify004.jpg

That does look pretty b1tchin! Now we need to hear some Skynyrd-type stuff from it. C'mon...I know it can do it. I personally would have left the cream rings on, but that's just me. When're we jammin' anyway? I'm right over here in beautiful, downtown Westerly, you name the time, and the place. But it's gotta be in about 6 weeks...that's when my neck oughta be healed up. Seriously...I'm itchin' to jam with real, live people.

Yep it's a decent rocker! I paid $450 new about ten years ago & once I upgraded the pickups I was in Seventh Heaven.

I recently got a black Epi LP Custom in a trade. It is going to stay stock for now.

I really love the Gibson Pro's though.

Just got everything finished today....NEW GFS Vintage 59's.....NEW pots' date=' caps, jack, switch and new #10 strings[/b'].....what a beauty!!! I am sitting here just staring at this baby......I ditched the cream colored pup rings and have black ones on there now. The black rings give much more contrast to the chrome pups.

As you know I just put a set of GFS pickups in and im not sure if i like them. How do you like your 59's? youtube a tone clip.

musik15.gif

Yeah I am really liking the idea for a BLACK switchplate and those chrome knobs!!!! That'll complete the look for sure I think. And Matiac I used to live in Westerly for a couple of years and it was great with the beach just 8 minutes away!!!! I wasn't playing hardly enough back then ('04, '05) when I was in Westerly....I got really deep into computers and designing CD projects. And I hear ya on playing guitar with real live people.....My girlfriend and I played out a bit all last Spring and Summer and aside from playing at home together once in a while, we had managed to get out to some people we know and jam for a while. So Who knows? I might get time to drive down to my ol' hometown. And BlueLes Paul2006, after getting this particular guitar all set up and modded when I first listened to it this afternoon I was quite pleased. The Epiphone stock pickups were really not too bad. I was very satisfied with the TONE but needed MORE high end on the middle and neck positions. These GFS 59's sound a little similar to the stock pups, but with more definition, clarity and high end. Also they are not overly bassy which I like. I guess it depends on what you play too. I record quite a bit and for my style this guitar fills a specific need. But I also play keyboards too, not nearly as good as I play guitar, but I keep to just rhythm on keys. And also I play bass guitar too, so there's alot of sounds comin' at ya when you are putting a song together. And luckily for me my guitar sounds pretty good with these pickups, I suppose if I played a different style, like rock or country the specific TONE I prefer and use would be different. Sorry for babbling, I had some coffee. By the way I am planning on making a short video clip playing this guitar AND my Telecaster with a jazz backing track. I am hoping the audio comes out good.

And BlueLes Paul2006' date=' after getting this particular guitar all set up and modded when I first listened to it this afternoon I was quite pleased. The Epiphone stock pickups were really not too bad. I was very satisfied with the TONE but needed MORE high end on the middle and neck positions. These GFS 59's sound a little similar to the stock pups, but with more definition, clarity and high end. Also they are not overly bassy which I like. I guess it depends on what you play too. I record quite a bit and for my style this guitar fills a specific need. But I also play keyboards too, not nearly as good as I play guitar, but I keep to just rhythm on keys. And also I play bass guitar too, so there's alot of sounds comin' at ya when you are putting a song together. And luckily for me my guitar sounds pretty good with these pickups, I suppose if I played a different style, like rock or country the specific TONE I prefer and use would be different. Sorry for babbling, I had some coffee. By the way I am planning on making a short video clip playing this guitar AND my Telecaster with a jazz backing track. I am hoping the audio comes out good.[/quote']

I feel the same way the tone is similar but it is brighter. and do give us a link to the video when you make it.

Here's a comparison....I think for this particular sunburst finish, the black rings and chrome pups look sleek and streamlined....the black switch plate and chrome knobs will really look good on this guitar!

2geetars.jpg

The Epiphone stock pickups were really not too bad. I was very satisfied with the TONE but needed MORE high end on the middle and neck positions. These GFS 59's sound a little similar to the stock pups' date=' but with more definition, clarity and high end. Also they are not overly bassy which I like. .[/quote']

Interesting... I just picked up an Epi LP Std. Plus, and I'm having the same issues. Bridge pickup sounds great, but neck is way too muddy & the middle position is muddied out by the neck (even when lowering volume of neck pup). Basically, it's a nice guitar with 1 out of 3 pickup positions usable (for me.) I was considering dropping Lollars in this thing (cost almost as much as the guitar!) but now you have me interested in the GFS '59s. Question: you say they are brighter with more clarity... I wouldn't want the bridge pup any brighter, it sounds pretty darned good the way it is... but more brightness/less WOOF on the neck might just make all 3 positions usable... do you think a '59 in the neck would fix that?

I very seldom use the bridge pickup except for maybe if I am playing with friends and it's time for a solo. But I mostly record and will almost always use the middle position and now with the GFS 59's in there, the NECK is sounding sweet! I noticed a BIG improvement in the tone of neck pickup. As far as the bridge tone with the 59's there really wasn't much difference tone-wise. The sound is fine but I haven't had a chance to "rock out" yet and turn volume up much past 3. We are supposedly going up to North Providence to jam tonight after dinnah. Yah, thats how we say it here..."dinnah". There is no "ice pick in ear" or "shrillness". Like I mentioned before, the GFS 59's sound close to the stock Epi pups as far as the basic LP tone you get with these guitars. But there is definitely more clariy and tone is well defined and clearer. I have these same pups in a semi hololw guitar and the bridge pup sounds good too. I wouldnt worry about replacing both.:-k

Nah' date=' ditch the ring altogether and throw some classy Black Speed Knobs on it![/quote']

+1. Definitely on the speed knobs... and if you keep the selector switch ring, I would definitely go black on that too. And black on the switch tip either way. (Might as well swap out the switch for a Switchcraft one, so you can use the Gibson replacement tips...)

My 2004 Classic was the exact opposite. The neck pickup was spot on, while the bridge was way too hot, and when both were used, the bridge overpowered the neck to the point you couldn't hear the neck...didn't complement each other at all. Then I came across a set of Gibson "T-top" pickups, and tried them both in the bridge position, neither one worked well with the stock neck, so I put them both in, and it just opened the guitar up, it was like a whole different guitar, and never looked back. They're perfect for the type of schtuff I play, and I couldn't be happier, and the best thing about the pickups is they were free. They were covered pickups out of a '70's SG, and when we took off the covers, discovered they were T-Top.

Archived