Gibson Brands Forums

Step up from g-310?

Rap

Hey guys, I've been playing a 310 through a Valve Jr. for about six months now and would like to move up to a better guitar. I like the feel of the sg, so I'm thinking about either a g-400 or a Prophecy. I'm playing mostly blues and classic rock. ( A sales guy at GC is trying to convince me to go with a Strat, but I've been pretty happy with my low end epi.) Would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to offer. Thanks.

that not really something i like doing... i like diffrent guitars for diffrent reasons... from what i hear the classic vibe stuff is top notch alot of ppl love the G400 you might sence your more or less playing a bolt on neck one now... lol and the Agile stuff... dollar for dollar you cant beat it.. but in the end its ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT AND LIKE

I've been looking at SG's myself lately and really like the Epi 66 Reissue Limited Edition, it's selling everywhere for about $399.00 it has a very comfortable neck profile ( atleast for me ) and has some really good growl plugged into a variety of amps. Get out and try some different things you'll find what suites you best. Good luck!

mgm

Guest icantbuyafender

a gibby SG faded used to be around the price of a GX prophecy SG which would be way MORE than a G-400.

the G400 also comes in '61 pickguard or the popular large guard of the 310

G400 comes in faded or regular finishes, plus the neck is SET in and if you notice, the 310 bolts on at the 19~20th fret while the G400's neck has been set in to where the WHOLE fretboard is completely accessible. one of the sublte yet amazing features.

ive got one, and I love it.

OK. So these posts have me leaning toward the g-400. When I do a side by side comparison between the '62 and the '66, the main differences seem to be the finish, the pick guard, and the pickups. Can anyone tell me the difference between an Alnico V, an Alnico "Classic", and an Alnico "Hot"?

I believe the Classic has Alnico-2 strength magnets, as opposed to the Alnico-5. I would bet that the "Hot" has more windings to go with V's; however that is just a guess.

I'll put a reasonable plug in for the '66 RI (I got a silverburst). Nice modern (poly-u) finish, smoothly functioning electronics. The fretboard reminds me of the old SG's I would occasionally get to play through the years: actually a little rough. That should get wore down with use. The frets were nice right out of the box. Pickups sound good, but I've not really heard them full out so my judgment is still reserved.

This special edition has the mahogany body and set neck, and is lively and loud unplugged. A good basepoint for me, cause anything else can be worked. Happy Hunting!

I have 3 LP-style guitars (love LPs), just grabbed an EPI SG "Special" off

ebay for co-worker who wanted starter guitar for 11 yr old grandson. It

arrived at work today. I did the "set up" on the guitar for him, but kept

looking at the Bright CHERRY RED color, the SHAPE, and now I'm starting

to think - I WANT AN SG!!!! THAT WAS A SWEET-LOOKING LITTLE GUITAR.

So now I'm already cruising the strip on ebay looking, looking, looking....

Do I really NEED one? Hell, NO/YES/NO/YES/NO/YES......

I have 3 LP-style guitars (love LPs)' date=' just grabbed an EPI SG "Special" off

ebay for co-worker who wanted starter guitar for 11 yr old grandson. It

arrived at work today. I did the "set up" on the guitar for him, but kept

looking at the Bright CHERRY RED color, the SHAPE, and now I'm starting

to think - I WANT AN SG!!!! THAT WAS A SWEET-LOOKING LITTLE GUITAR.

So now I'm already cruising the strip on ebay looking, looking, looking....

Do I really NEED one? Hell, NO/YES/NO/YES/NO/YES......[/quote']

What a moronic question! YOU NEED ONE!

I just watched the last 3 minutes of an ebay auction for an EPI SG-310,

Cherry color. Was at $102.50 until last 30 secs then jumped to $118.50,

which was selling price + $30.00 ship. Chose not to bid, didn't care for giant

pickguard. I guess that means I prefer either the smaller G-400 pickguard look or

NO pickguard at all (but, but that would mean EPI SG Special...NO,NO,NO,!!!!!)

See all kinds of SG's out there, like G-400, Prophecy too rich for my blood...sort of.

Could buy one, but would put big dent in money under mattress. I don't want

the AIG folks to use MY money to get bonus and buy a guitar... Ah, don't EVEN

get started on that...Taxpayer money AIN'T for personal bonus......

Rap,

Take a serious look at the worn (read "faded") g-400.

wornBrownG.jpg

(I admit I prefer the red.) It's inexpensive, the faded finish feels great, the '61 neck joint is FAR better than the later hunk-O-wood SG neck joints, and the neck is slim and fast. All-in-all, its a lot of guitar for the money and a lot of fun. Cheers.

Guest icantbuyafender

shall I reiterate?.

buy a worn faded or a used g400

it'll leave you dough to put in some high output GFS humbuckers to reaaaallllly drive that valve jr the way that it should. O:)

even stock the g400 sounds better ro me than a 310 cause of that magical set neck sustain.

screw the neighbors its late... but I'm off to rock out w/ my '02 cherryg400

Archived