Gibson Brands Forums

Black Epiphone Supernova on eBay

Spiteface

I was reading another forum I post in on a semi-regular basis, and saw that someone on there is parting with one of these things:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Supernova-guitar-in-Black-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ260380698886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item260380698886&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1761|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

No reserve either. If I wasn't already planning to spend an insane amount of money getting new pickups for my black Dot, I might be tempted to bid on this. WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME LIKE THIS?

How many diiferent colors were the Supernova released in? I've seen' date=' Union Jack, Manchester Blue, Sunburst and now Black. were there any others?

mgm [/quote']

I think I have seen a chery one too.

I was reading another forum I post in on a semi-regular basis' date=' and saw that someone on there is parting with one of these things:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Supernova-guitar-in-Black-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ260380698886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item260380698886&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1761|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

No reserve either. If I wasn't already planning to spend an insane amount of money getting new pickups for my black Dot, I might be tempted to bid on this. WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME LIKE THIS?[/quote']

I'm afraid that the seller IS going to find its true value.

I'm afraid that the seller IS going to find its true value.

I know what you are saying JS. I have one in Machester City Blue I love it , you are able to get a wide arry of tones out of it. With that said I've seen a couple of Union Jack's go on Ebay with BIN between $1400.00-$1500.00, I love mine but in my opinion thet aren't worth that much. Does anyone here remember how much thet sold for back when Epihone was still producing them?

mgm

Well I did a little research an old review on shanzuguitars.com stated that they retailed for $900.00 including case, I'll keep looking.

Smokey, are all of those Nova's in your avatar yours? They look awesome!!!

mgm

They're extremely overrated. For the money you could buy an Elitist Epiphone or a great Riviera/Dot/Sheraton and mod it up to a much much higher standard. In some cases a Gibson would be cheaper than some of those Union Jack ones!!

I can see the appeal for big Oasis fans, rich Epi collectors or a tribute artist but beyond that they're too novel for me. Why have a Noel Gallagher guitar when you can have one of your very own and make it yours? That's one thing that annoys me about the Lennon EJ-160E. The tacky signature and logos...

Why have a Noel Gallagher guitar when you can have one of your very own and make it yours? That's one thing that annoys me about the Lennon EJ-160E. The tacky signature and logos...

Exactly' date=' I love Oasis and mostly play 'britpop', I wanted to emultate Noel Gallagher but as Noel never used his own sig guitar I decided an Elitist Sheraton would be more worthy as a Noel 'sig'.

th_sheraton.jpg

They're extremely overrated. For the money you could buy an Elitist Epiphone or a great Riviera/Dot/Sheraton and mod it up to a much much higher standard. In some cases a Gibson would be cheaper than some of those Union Jack ones!!

I can see the appeal for big Oasis fans' date=' rich Epi collectors or a tribute artist but beyond that they're too novel for me. Why have a Noel Gallagher guitar when you can have one of your very own and make it yours? That's one thing that annoys me about the Lennon EJ-160E. The tacky signature and logos...[/quote']

You name it, bro!!!! I have nothing against John but that signature always annoyed me! Less is more! The J-160e would be a truly great guitar if they'd do a non-signature model!

but well... Chinese isn't that appealing to me eiter (have you seen the chinese Ej-160e's? The look strange in my opinion... that's not me being racist but they did something to that finish and the wood is another quality too...)

JM

Exactly' date=' I love Oasis and mostly play 'britpop', I wanted to emultate Noel Gallagher but as Noel never used his own sig guitar I decided an Elitist Sheraton would be more worthy as a Noel 'sig'.

th_sheraton.jpg

Definitely a closer match. Really, although some people rate them as good guitars in their own right, the Supernova really was just expensive merch.

I can't help thinking that if the Union Jack finish had come out first, it would have sold more, the supernova came out while Oasis were still hugely popular (Not to say they aren't still popular now, but still more so back then), coming not long after the Maine Road shows (when Noel debuted the Union Jack sheraton), it might have sold more.

The elitist Sheraton is a much closer match for the one he used for Knebworth, and much of the Be Here Now touring.

I'm more than happy with my Dot right now, to be honest. I'll be even happier with it once I get new pickups for it - I'm buying some Bare Knuckle pickups this weekend.

Definitely a closer match. Really' date=' although some people rate them as good guitars in their own right, the Supernova really was just expensive merch.

I can't help thinking that if the Union Jack finish had come out first, it would have sold more, the supernova came out while Oasis were still hugely popular (Not to say they aren't still popular now, but still more so back then), coming not long after the Maine Road shows (when Noel debuted the Union Jack sheraton), it might have sold more.

The elitist Sheraton is a much closer match for the one he used for Knebworth, and much of the Be Here Now touring.

I'm more than happy with my Dot right now, to be honest. I'll be even happier with it once I get new pickups for it - I'm buying some Bare Knuckle pickups this weekend.[/quote']

Agreed you are paying for something that Noel lent his name to, the Supernova isn't exactally like anything that he actually played. I was able to get a Supernova in Manchester Blue in mint cond. for $500.00 US which is around what a late 90's-2000 Rivieras are going for.I myself have been thinking about getting a DOT and with a few mods you could have a guitar as good as if not better than a Supernova.

mgm

Archived