Gibson Brands Forums

Capacitor question?

BlueLesPaul2006

I am looking to finish upgrading my electronics I am looking at some orange drop .022 caps however, when looking for a set some are .022uf 600 volt and some are .022uf 200 volt. what should I use for my LP and what is the difference?

.022uf 600 volt

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Sprague-Orange-Drop-715P-022-mfd-600-Volt-Cap-p/sprague-orange-drop-022-600v.htm

.022uf 200 volt

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Sprague-Orange-Drop-715P-022-mfd-200-Volt-Cap-p/sprague-orange-drop-022-200v.htm

I have used 225P and 715P Orange Spraque. Both come in .022uf. and a variety of voltages. I use 400V. As far as the

225's v.s. the 715's I can't tell the difference.

The following is from an Ebay seller: Believe it or not...your choice

*A note about 400V vs 200V. Just like certain sellers are claiming that 225P caps are not Film / Foil, other sellers are claiming that since you don't have 400V running through your guitar, you don't need 400V caps. While it is true that a guitar's signal is only a small voltage, it is also true that the physical size of the dielectric material has a huge effect on the tone. These are big and beefy in size, but not too big to fit like some 600v caps may be.

There is also talk of Polypropylene caps (like 715P) being "similar" to Mylar caps, but having an extra extended temperature stability up to 105C. I can guarantee that if your guitar ever reaches 105C, you won't be playing it anymore.

715P caps are great for high heat applications (like in amplifiers), where the warmer sounding 225P won’t hold up, but using a Polypropylene Cap (715P) in a low heat application like in your guitar is a compromise.

One more note before I get off of my soapbox. Polypropylene is definitely a more stable capacitor material than Film / Foil Mylar, and both are more stable than paper in oil caps like Bumblebees or Vitamin Qs. Stability doesn't necessarily equal tone. If you are upgrading your caps, I'm pretty sure you are looking to improve your tone.

Hope this helps,

Willy

In amps caps form.. they form inside due to the voltages running through them..

you can also check out Sozos site for an idea of that..

guitars don't have enough voltage to form caps the same way amps do. so it seems to me that anything 35 to 200 is certainly enough.

I use the 200V caps... mallory sprague sozo et al and I find they work very well.

If your guitar does reach 105 degrees, you may not even be playing it at the time.

so.. I don't really understand what that guys got against heat protection.

All the rest of it is poorly explained, in my view.

For instance, stability means a lot of things.

Not just long life.. or solid construction.. though I've rarely heard of anyone ever having trouble with anything but an oil in paper cap.. which tend to leak after time.

Stability means consistent performance, and very close tolerances, too.

Neither of which bad for you tone.

I don't doubt that there's some serious discussion that can be had over the subject.. but I sure do wonder why he recommends

.. and happens to be selling.. what so many claim is unnecessary.. high voltage guitar tone caps.

Kinda makes you wonder why everyone is fine with the tiny ceramic chip treble bleeds..

So I'll say it again.. I use the 200V spragues and they sound fine to me.

Life expectancy? Nearly as long as the guitar, I'd expect.

TWANG

> it is also true that the physical size of the dielectric material has a huge effect on the tone <

huge effect

What a crock of $^*# !!

Take 10 IDENTICAL guitars and amps

Wire ten different .022 µF caps, ......200V-600V orange, blue, pink, black, grape........round, Chicklets gum, square, what the heck EVER and if say you can HEAR a difference, I repeat...........What a crock of $^*# !!

huge effect on the tone ?????????? Were are talking about bleeding off highs ( how fast and what freq's) with a pot here.

:-

Put the solder gun down, grab a pick and PLAY the thing and nobody gets hurt !

Guitars are one part science, one part craftsmanship (to whatever extent), and one part lore. This cap thing is a part of that lore. The orange drops have a certain panache that is not necessarily merited, but not harmful either. If you want to use orange drops use 'em. 200v is fine. sjtalon, watch your blood pressure. ;-) Cheers.

Put the solder gun down' date=' grab a pick and PLAY the thing and nobody gets hurt ![/quote']

Heh, heh, heh, heh...

...and nothing wrong with calling 'em the way you see 'em. :- Something this forum could use more of lately..

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

BlueLesPaul2006,

I would check out either RS Guitarworks for real paper in oil capacitors.

Thats, rsguitarworks.net

or, check out Tonemojo.com, for some real real PIO caps and other stuff, Jimmy Page wiring harness etc.

Better stuff that the regular Orange Drop stuff IMO.

Better stuff that the regular Orange Drop stuff IMO.

Orange Drops work fine in guitars. Here's an article you might find interesting:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx

This line sums it up for me:

"I’ve spent a lot of time with A/B comparisons, blind tests and measurements and I never could (h)ear any difference."

Archived