Gibson Brands Forums

Photo Opp: Dot Deluxe in Silver

I'm in the thought process of starting to mod my dot deluxe. I've taken off the strings, bridge, nut, tailpeice and now I'm not sure whether to change it all over to chrome or whether to keep it gold.

I'm thinking that with the extra cost for a Gold Bigsby and new Gold humbuckers I'd be better off just going for chrome and changing the machine heads as well... but the machine heads that are on there at the moment are doing a fine job. I just hate the way the gold plating fades and goes green after a long time.

Ebaying gold parts will often get you a pretty good peice of the money you need for the chrome.

I've got a few chrome parts that are used, but off brand new guitars, which I'd let one of you have pretty cheap, too.

I did better selling off my aged sheri tuners than I thought I would.

And there are some chrome parts that are serious upgrades, but don't cost a lot to start with, too.

People are always divided about gold plate.. some really like the way it wears.. and others want it to stay pristine.

TWANG

I don't know that the Dot Deluxe would look as good with Chrome hardware. On mine i considered it very briefly but, think i'll stick wit gold. Mainly because I've seen some guitars with the aged gold hardware and think that it's pretty neat.

I don't always see it going green...

The plus is that Chrome parts are less expensive.

As far as pckups go...getting ones that are gold but, have more black in them might add a different character to it as well. That's what I'm considering in the future.

I don't mind it aged so much. The humbuckers and the tuners on mine are still pretty good and the tailpiece aint too bad but the bridge is a mess of green residue that has built up on the saddles and has made it pretty unplayable.

I've just always preferred silver - everything. I just ordered a pair of nickel Phat Cats. Eventually all hardware will be nickel. The reason I chose this Dot over four others is the tone of the wood was by far more resonate. I'm not a great player, but I have a very good ear. I've probably played this guitar unplugged more than amplified. It's been 3 years and I'm finally getting around to making her sound better amplified and straightening her out looks wise at the same time. I can't wait to hear how she sounds with the new pups and electronics.

@TWANG

That's solid advice about selling off the old gold parts on Ebay. I hadn't thought of that.

had the same trouble with my sherry, gold tarnishing.

ordered chrome pups, and im switching the chrome bridge, etc from my sg onto my sherry, although ive gone for black grovers, i think i might buy another set of chrome ones and see what looks best, and use the other on the sg,

my sg will be left as a frankenstein guitar made up of parts from other guitars, leaving my sherry with a black/chrome look.

i like the gold, but just cant be bothered with the tarnishing.

Archived