Gibson Brands Forums

i think i might have a defective epiphone masterbilt dr 500m

dynasty32

i purchased an epiphone masterbilt dr-500m last august through a music online store. It cost me 450. When I got it initially it was fine, but when i wanted to change strings on the guitar after the couple days i got it, I too the low e string off the guitar and then I was trying to pry out the guitar pin, but it would not budge at all. I had to use excessive force and it still didn't budge at all. I forgot how I removed it but I must of have done something. anyways, I barely played this guitar and it looks completely new, never took it out of my house.

I don't think that's really normal for acoustic guitars to do that. I mean i understand some guitars might need a bit more force to get the bridge pin out, but I couldn't. Plus I dont want to go through this every time i change I restring my guitar. The other bridge pins come out fine I guess. Also the guitar buzzes on the lower fret on the b string alot.

So I contacted Gibson and they said that I have to contact a local place that is affiliated with them to see what the problem is. So what my question is since the guitar in warranty, and the problem was not cause by me, will they repair it for free? Also I contacted the website I go the guitar from but they said they can't do anything since it's past 6 months.

To make a comparison I had Yamaha acoustic that i had before i sold it for the epiphone and it was only 200. I liked that guitar had no problems, no problems getting the bridge pin out either. And also the tuners weren't so stiff on the yamaha.

Another thing is i guess the epiphone masterbilts don't have grooved saddle holes right? my yamaha did and it made string changing easier since i could fit the string into the small slot in the middle of the saddle hole.

So do you think Epiphone can either repair it, or give me a replacement? or give me a store credit? and I can buy a les paul.

So do you think Epiphone can either repair it' date=' or give me a replacement? or give me a store credit? and I can buy a les paul.[/quote'] Hmmmmm ......... an easy way to deal with a difficult pin is to undo the strings from the tuners and stick your hand through the sound hole with something flat and hard, such as a quarter, and push up the "stuck" pin from below ...... no problem. Good luck with getting Epi to replace it for a minor annoyance.....

So when you finish with the new strings on just slide your pin back in till it is snug as a bug, don't have to push it all the way in just till it grabs and then you are set to tighten her up and no its not unusal for a pin to be stuck sometimes they get pushed harder then needed at the store,manafactures or some kind person at the guitar store has decided that the pin was sticking up to much. Ship

Dynasty...

So I contacted Gibson and they said that I have to contact a local place that is affiliated with them to see what the problem is. So what my question is since the guitar in warranty, and the problem was not cause by me, will they repair it for free? Also I contacted the website I go the guitar from but they said they can't do anything since it's past 6 months.

I recently had some warrantee work done on my AJ500RC Masterbilt. (The bridge was lifting) I had problems with the store where I purchased it. I got frustrated and contacted the Epiphone (Gibson) people directly.

They fixed it perfectly, with no charge of course, and I'm a happy camper with my guitar back.

By the way, the Gibson warrentee is for life as long as you are the original owner.

Good luck!

CTF

If your only beef is that the pin wouldn't come out easily..., I wouldn't worry about it. If this is this guit tar's first change, either someone at the factory over pushed the pin in or maybe the bridge swelled a bit. Unless your beef is something happened while you were stuggling to pry it out. Is there something else?

Properly installed the pin should be pushed in just barely enough to keep gravity from pulling it out when you flip it upside down. Any more and you risk cracking a brace, or enlarging the hole.

Hi -

I have a DR500M too, and had a similar experience the first time I changed strings. I managed to undue the pin as someone else mentioned above - by pushing it up from the inside. Since then, I have not had that problem. As far as the "buzzing b string", did you change the gauge of your strings? Perhaps the selling dealer could due a minor set-up for to resolve that issue. Good luck,

Regards,

Archived