Gibson Brands Forums

What Epi Les Paul do I have???

darren london

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that is nothing like anything I have ever seen before or can find any record of.....

According to the serial number, it was made in August 1988 in Korea which would make it one of the 1st Epi LPs and indeed on the back of the neck is a sticker that says 'Made in Korea'

It has a Les Paul single cutaway slab body with dot inlays rather like a junior but has no pickguard (nor has any screw holes for one) but has a Gibson style "open book" headstock, a set neck, two open black humbuckers and black tuners, tune-o-matic bridge and stop-bar tailpiece. The headstock says 'Epiphone' in pearl(oid) and on the 3-screw truss rod cover are the words "Les Paul".

It looks pretty similar to the current Les Paul Special II model BUT has a 3-way toggle on the top bout like a normal LP and also has the normal LP 2x volume, 2x tone knobs.

According to all literature, in 1988 they only made standards or customs (of which this isn't one) and cheaper bolt-on neck models (of which this isn't one either).

I have owned this guitar since 1990/91 and bought it second-hand from a well known reputable guitar shop in London.

Can anyone please shed any light on what it is I have owned for 18 or so years????

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived