Gibson Brands Forums

Dirt cheap slide guitar...

Lord Summerisle

How 'bout one of these!!??!! I want one.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm?action=detail&item=116746

Does anything say "slide" more than a Powerslide?

Wow! That meets this criteria:

LS wrote: Must be a bit "individual" (flashy' date=' even) - not keen on a LP or an SG, can't afford a Firebird.[/i']

If you're looking for attention on stage, I think that would definitely get it.

That Peavey is definately a contender. For $99, musicians friend has a lap steel.

I spell slide S U P R O. Mine is a Supro Spectator from the 50's like this....

SuproSpectator.JPG

Lap slides are often 22" scales. So those mini-strats for $99 would also be a cheap contender.

That Peavey is definately a contender. For $99' date=' musicians friend has a lap steel.

I spell slide S U P R O. Mine is a Supro Spectator from the 50's like this....

[img']http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steels/Supro/SuproSpectator.JPG[/img]

Lap slides are often 22" scales. So those mini-strats for $99 would also be a cheap contender.

What I like about the Peavey is that you can play it like a Dobro, a-la Jerry Douglas, or like a tradional guitar using slide. I would really like to find one in Canada.

The Wilshire alsways kinda reminds me of the Rickenbacker 425.... Thin' date=' sexy and beautiful!!!!! I want one too! Pitty they don't produce 'em with Mini-Humbuckers... =(

JM[/quote']

The mini humbucker equipped Wilshire will be out in July along with a $400 price tag.

As someone said, it don't really matter. Biggest thing you will have to decide is to go with metal or glass slide. If you choose metal you will have to use heavier guage strings and may have to have a new nut cut so the strings ride a bit higher. With the glass slide ya can stay with strings as light as 11 guage and often just have to tweek the action up a bit.

For a lot of decades I used a single pickup Dan Electro Silvertone - the one with the amp in the case. Think it cost me about $30 on the el cheapo rack at Manny's on 48th Street.

More recently I have been using an old Teisco "Tuilp" I scored from a pawn shop for $75.

Biggest thing you will have to decide is to go with metal or glass slide. If you choose metal you will have to use heavier guage strings and may have to have a new nut cut so the strings ride a bit higher. With the glass slide ya can stay with strings as light as 11 guage and often just have to tweek the action up a bit.

I do use a metal slide from time to time, but funnily enough my main slide is a ceramic one. It was given to me by a Canadian guy about 10 years ago.

It's an odd thing, I've never come across another one like it. Feels like a flower pot on the inside, and is glazed black on the outside. I've used it for years (and am always very careful not to break it).

Archived