Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD thy self !!!

RaSTuS

Got this weird lookin' acoustic/elec for $98 delivered, I'll post playability in a few days.

Just wanted an acoustic to screw with until something more substantial appears on the horizon.

Power_AcousticElectric_EQ-1_croppedScaled.png

Power_AcousticElectric_EQ-2_croppedScaled.pngPower_AcousticElectric_EQ-3_croppedScaled.png

got a poly carbonate back apparently, whoo hoo.

terrible pix, the sun is low in the sky, long shadows.

Looks like some kind of Ovation copy (or some sub-brand of Ovation I've never seen, who knows. The flat EQ panel and jack on the bottom wall of the guitar seem to indicate this much.)

That has a sweet finish on it, and if it's anything like my Applause it'll play and sound as sweet as a nut.

Congratulations on the new geet. ;)

Looks like some kind of Ovation copy (or some sub-brand of Ovation I've never seen' date=' who knows. The flat EQ panel and jack on the bottom wall of the guitar seem to indicate this much.)

That has a sweet finish on it, and if it's anything like my Applause it'll play and sound as sweet as a nut.

Congratulations on the new geet. =D> [/quote']

Forgot to mention the brand name is Power Guitars (right), in the eBay listing it mentioned ovation style body, here's the url:

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290309434932

Thanks for your reply.

i had that EXACT same guitar dude! i mean EXACT. From what i remember i paid $60 some 3 years ago. don't wanna burst your bubble, but it was without a doubt the WORST guitar i have EVER owned, and i've owned about 25 in my short 28 years on this earth. don't even bother plugging it in... you'll get a mediocre sound at best when playing unplugged. not worth $20 as far as i'm concerned. sorry dude

Well so far i've taken 0.5mm off the saddle, and put new set of EB stainless on, needs another 1mm taken off, action is crapola at the mo, useless even trying anything else until the action is remedied.

cyberpunk409: I hope I have a better experience than you seemed to have had.

And thanks all for your kind words, i'll repost once I get the action right and get a day or two of actually playin' the thing.

Cheers

The reason i bought this in the first place, I go over to my mate's place (across the road) most arvos and he has an acoustic, I used to drag my strat copy over but he has no amplification, so trying to play along together was almost impossible. I got this to tide me over until i'm more financially endowed.

The New Setup

I had already taken 0.5mm off the saddle, this arvo i took another 1mm off it and while i was doing it i noticed 2 things, the faces of the saddle were extremely uneven and the saddle already slopped back and forth (end pin to nut direction) rather loosely in the slot.

There was nothing for it but to put an even surface on the faces of the saddle but this left the slop even more apparent, i guaged how thick some packing would have to be. I decided on a thin strip off the edge off a blister packed card of tablets. It fitted spot on.

After re-tensioning the strings the action was still far too high and with the saddle now only sitting 1-1.5mm proud of the bridge the next option was a truss rod adjustment.

I de-tuned 4-5 steps and started tightening the rod. By eye I kept going until it looked reasonable, re-tensioned the strings and i had fret buzz on the lower 2 strings only so i new i was close. I retarded the rod half a turn, and tried again. Still just the slightest buzz on hard strumming and picking, another 1/4 turn and eureka.

It now plays and feels quiet reasonable, so a crap guitar can be improved quiet substantially if your prepared to spend a few hours improving the set up, it took a lot longer than setting up a reasonable guitar would have done, but it was well worth it.

OH...thought it was 'had nice guitar day'.lol

I was once hoping it meant "Horny Nymphos Getting Drunk"' date=' but alas, it's not.... =P~

.....It now plays and feels quiet reasonable' date=' so [b']a crap guitar can be improved quiet substantially if your prepared to spend a few hours improving the set up[/b], it took a lot longer than setting up a reasonable guitar would have done, but it was well worth it.

Sometimes (for me anyways), that's half the fun of a cheapie no-name or "rolling your own" from odds and sods laying about. Spending some time on getting an average/adaquate guitar to play well can be really rewarding.

B.

Archived