Gibson Brands Forums

Trying New Strings on My Masterbilt

HI -

(Had this included under a different topic (Saddles), but decided to open a new one "Strings"........)

I've been trying different strings on my DR500-M, more out of curiosity than for any other reason. Here's my conclusions, so far - would love to hear from others with their experiences regarding string choices:

John Pearse 80/20 Bronze, Light - mellow and (too) quiet, "stiff", harder to play than the original factory strings, but a very good sound, would be great with mike or pick-up set-up. James Taylor may have used these.

D'Addario Phos. Brnz., Light - bright, but "too stiff"" and harder to play than the original factory strings.

D'Addario Nickel Wound XL - very different sound, was hoping for that "early Beatle-acoustic sound", comes close , IMO. Easy to play, but hard to stay in tune as you move up the neck and/or press hard on the strings.

D'Addario Chrome Flat Wound XL - mellow (too), but very easy to play; I truly believe I play better with this string than I ever have due to that flat surface. My wife concurs.

I intend to also try D'Addario Half Rounds XL (on order) and Tomastik-Infeld Flat Wounds strings before I return to the original Gibson Masterbuilt brand. But I do like the nickel string sound for many of the songs I play, and the playability of the flats.

Regards,

Just put on my first set of Slinky Coated Titanium RPS Technology Acoustic 12s (on my DR-500). Boy is that a mouthful! Anyways, I like them after about 45 mins. although I never did much care for gold colored E-Bs. Nuthin' like new strings!

Hi -

The bronze strings were .12-.52; nickel wound .11-.49; chrome flats are .11-.50. I haven't tried coated strings, but I am enjoying the flats the more I play them, but not the mellow sound.

I read that the Rotosound country gold 12th will lower the action a bit - is that true and how/why does that happen??

I read that the Rotosound country gold 12th will lower the action a bit - is that true and how/why does that happen??

Sounds like BS to me' date=' but I'll bite. OK Rotosound, I'm from Missouri, so show me. Show me how your strings slightly reduce action, other than going down in size, say to 11s from 13s.

SUPER BRONZE (Phosphor Bronze)

Originally known as Country Gold’s, a great sounding acoustic string due to it’s ‘contact core’ design. Pioneered by Rotosound in 1974. The choice for long sustain and brightness, these strings also slightly reduce the action on any instrument, available in five, six string gauges only.

No mention of how the strings accomplish this.

The word "action" is mentioned on the website only this one time.

I'll post any reply they offer to my inquiry. I do not expect one.

Well' date=' maybe there is something to this lower action. Here is the prompt reply,

Well it is because the wrap wire does not go right to the ballend so for example on a 0.052" gauge string the wrap wire is 0.020" therefore your action is lowered by this amount.

Hope this helps!

Even though it is a string diameter reduction as I guessed, it is clever. So I just ordered 2 sets.

eGuitarNut -

Thanks for sharing your reply from Rotosound.............seems like a simple, but yes clever, engineering solution to an almost everyone encounters at some point. Will you let us know your thoughts once you have had the chance to try the new strings?? Most reviews are positive with this particular brand of string...........look forward to hearing yours,

Regards

Even though it is a string diameter reduction as I guessed' date=' it is clever. So I just ordered 2 sets.

[/quote']

Interesting. Thanks for investigating this and posting the reply from Rotosound, and the pictures, too.

Mediums!

It doesn't matter what brand you buy, that's up to you, but try a set of mediums. You'll appreciate the difference, and it will become clear that it's worth putting in the effort to get your fingers a little tougher to get the sound you're looking for.

And BTW, strings can't lower your action. That's BS.

Hi -

eGuitarNut, thanks for the info. link. Craig Lemke seems to have done a very detailed and technical review of the claim that "Contact Core Strings" can lower the action of guitar strings. I don't see how any more specific measurements can be done to test the claim; it would be good to see another test done in the same manner to validate Lemke's results, however, since he is a seller of Rotosound strings. His other string reviews seems to be valid as well. I'm not defending and/or supporting Mr. Lemke, I find his review and test quite interesting since there is some form of measurement to support his results.

I can't personally handle medium strings anymore, having lost some finger strength over the years perhaps due to too much (computer) key-stroking. The trade-off of a fuller, deeper sound for being able to play a bit better is one I grudgingly accept, but I may try a set of contact core strings to see if that makes a difference.

Regards,

I received my strings yesterday, but it will take awhile before I try them, as I have newer strings on my guitars just now and I really haven't played a lot lately. I've lost my callus'. I played so much Saturday (and had a ball!) that I was too sore to play on Sunday. Just spent 45 mins. playing and fingers are OK. Now need to wear out strings this week end. :)

I thought the article (sales ad?) by Lemke was well written and proceeded to read his other articles as well. I didn't buy from him (in fact, he didn't have anything for sale at that time.) He did pique my interest, I must admit.

Surely someone here on these message boards has used these strings and could render their opinion.

I agree with Sangemon, Mediums of whatever brand suits you is good advice.

Hi -

Here's the reply I received from Epiphone regarding my past inquiry about using medium gauge strings on Masterbilt guitars:

REPLY:

Sorry about the confusion! All Masterbilt steel-string guitars come

from the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt .012-.052. It will not void your

warranty to use medium-guage strings, it will just require the appropriate neck

adjustments to accommodate for the increased neck tension. I hope this

information is helpful! Thanks for the inquiry!

Best regards,

Benton Cummings

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

For the warranty, I'm not sure what the "appropriate adjustment" is, who makes the adjustment, and what documentation would be required for Epiphone in the event of a warranty claim. There sems to be several owners who have or are using medium gauge strings...........maybe they can add some insight.

Regards

I have been using 12s on my EF500R since I bought it. I see no reason to use mediums. This thing is a cannon as it is, so if the reason is for more volume (moving the top a bit more), then it seems unnecesary to me. I already like the tone, so there is no reason there.

I believe the guitar was built for 12s, and since mine sounds and plays just fine with them, I will continue to use them. Your mileage may vary.

Pete

I was hoping for a bit throatier tone--the sound is great overall.

Perhaps try a set of Dean Markley Goldbronze Alchemy strings....I find that they provide that "gutsy" sound I want. They are expensive, about $12 a set retail, but they have excellent tone and they hold not only that tone but also a tune for a long time!

If you need just a bit more tone, how about trying a thicker pick rather than thicker strings?

BTW, the DM's are available in .011-.052, .012-.054, and .013-56's. I use the .011-.052's and get better tone than I do out of D'Addario .012's. The .012-.054 DM strings are about all my fingers will tolerate, but I do have them on one guitar and it has become my favorite for fingerstyle.....they have a wonderful tone and have lasted for 3 years without needing to be changed out.

I have 13 guitars and so none of them gets played a lot, but each of them gets played and all get played about the same. I've replaced the .011-.052's a few times but the .012-.054's have not needed to be changed. I'll be switching most of my guits over to the .012-.054's when they need to be replaced (have a few that were designed for light gauge strings and those I'll keep the .011-.052's on). Soon as the lifting bridge on my AJ500RC is repaired, I'll be putting a set of .012-.054's on it, the .011-.052's sound VERY good but I think there's more in that guitar and perhaps a heavier set of strings will bring it out.

Dugly

Thanks from me too guys - I have been trying to figure out what strings to put on my DR-500R since mine are pretty worn out. Can't wait to try some of what you've all been posting, although honestly I really like and am used to the Gibson Masterbuilts that came on it originally.

Hi Salamar -

I too, enjoyed the original Gibson Masterbuilt strings that came on my DR500M, and have three sets at home for future use. On a whim, I started trying other brands/types of strings and have been smitten for now with flat wounds. I will be trying some steel half-rounds, soon, and then some phosphor bronze half-rounds in the near future (http://store.daddario.com/category/145772/Flat_Top_Phosphor_Bronze_Wound).

Regards,

Archived