Gibson Brands Forums

Brand New Dot Fretbuzz

BigD89

I recently purchased an Epiphone Dot deluxe VS at Guitar Center. It is my first electric and I have only been playing for about a year. When I got home to play my new dot I started to notice a fret buzz on the second fret G string. The guitar has stock strings so I was wondering if it would go away if I changed them. Any Suggestions to a beginner?

big d there are lots of info on setups here. do a search "setup" being a new player you have a great opp. to learn more about your

instument while you learn how to play. there is a lot of basic maint. that is not rocket science that all guitarist should know, google how to set up a guitar, go slow and your guitar will play and sound better. in time you will learn to set it up to your prefrences. good luck. cheers. T.N.T.

I recently purchased an Epiphone Dot deluxe VS at Guitar Center. It is my first electric and I have only been playing for about a year. When I got home to play my new dot I started to notice a fret buzz on the second fret G string. The guitar has stock strings so I was wondering if it would go away if I changed them. Any Suggestions to a beginner?

BigD......they didn't offer to st it up free before you left? BAD THEM !

Take it back, tell them it has fretbuzz, and they'll set it up for you at no charge,

if not, then tell them you're not satisfied and want a replacement.......they'll set it up quite nicely then, at no charge.

The guitar has stock strings so I was wondering if it would go away if I changed them. Any Suggestions to a beginner?

Also' date=' to answer your question, yes definitely change those stock strings (if you bring it in for a "setup" GC will change them for you). Stock strings are often crappy quality. The string change alone; however, will probably not solve the fret buzz issue. Usually when a string buzzes, that means it's too close to the neck. That's why everyone is suggesting a setup - one of the things they do during a setup is adjust the height of the strings. The string height is called the 'Action' of the guitar. Some people prefer the strings to be fairly high off the fretboard, most people prefer it as low as possible [i']without [/i]causing a buzz.

all good advice BigD.

stock strings were on at the factory.. came all the way from china.. stayed on the guitar while it was shipped here and on the shelf.

It's probably either a low nut slot.. or a low bridge saddle.. I've had several epis in my shop, brand new ones, and the fretwork is really consistent and pretty well done time after time. So I don't think it will be anything serious.

Your guitar store should help you at no charge or replace the guitar.

You should get a new set of strings for sure, though.

And don't go budget.. new guitar! pick out something nice.. major brand.

and definately google set up information and learn about it just as you learn to play.

Those fiddle guys with the symphonys often know nearly as much about their instruments as the people who

build them. It's a good thing to know to keep from being ripped off.. overcharged.. sold repairs or adjustments you don't need..

and for emergencys, too.

TWANG

Archived