Gibson Brands Forums

newish guitar day ( been about a month or so ago.. lol )

Memphs1978

Good guitars. I liked the butterscotch version with the black pickguard but most of them had white pickguards. The first mod for the '51 is to replace the rotary selector with a three-way toggle. :-

Hey any downsides to that guitar? I'm looking at picking up something similar - want a really cheap Fender strat that still plays ok - less interested in how it sounds as that can be improved . . . are you happy with your Squire? it looks real nice

Jeez. $150 for a used '51 plus $600 for a cheesy Fender decal and an over-the-top relicking job. Looks like he got a little too into it on the bottom edge there. That's not relicked... that's abused.

Then there's the whole question of why one would try to make a guitar that was only on the market within the last five or so years look as if it's 50 years old...

thats just silly.. to me it plays as good and seems to be as nice as some of the MIM stuff really i like the neck im thinking about trading necks with my squire tele ( no skunk stripe ) but really its nice its fun and sounds fantastic for $80 lol

About the only beef I have with the '51 is the thin body. The selector switch was an interesting idea that unfortunately just isn't practical from a player's perspective... it's too fiddly to switch plus you have no idea what position it is in just by looking at it. Easily remedied though.

Nonetheless the '51 is fast achieving cult status as a great guitar... and truth be told it presents the player with a very wide range of tones and the neck is very nice on them. A very few of them were made in China and if you get a hold of one of those you've really got something.

Getting one for $80 is just freaking awesome.

Archived