Gibson Brands Forums

2x12 cabinet building drawings

Hey ive just got myself a celestion G12T75 speaker coming to replace in my laney amp but this will go into a cab in the end with another or maybe a V30?

Anyhow i think i might build my cab and do the covering myself. Cant be that hard with the right drawings/info ect. Any help would be great as never looked to do this before.

Thanks

Ok thanks mate i checked loads of links but must of missed them.

There all for the wiring side of thing which will help in the end but i need to build the actual box yet. I need dimrnsions or a build plan. Could do it myself but i want to get dimentions right as it might sounds pants if done to small/big ect.

Thanks

only problem M is that lopoline is in the US and it looks like MrJones in is the UK so shipping would be costly. And Avatar speakers only now ships to Canada and it looks like theyhave some place in Holland

If he was in Canada i might recommend this guy... http://www.saxon-cabs.ca he'll custom the box too. Got him to make me a very small 1x12 cab (as small as we could get it anyways around a 12" speaker) plus a split back for $139cdn... and shipping was cheap but to the UK>>> don't know how much shipping would be.

Check this out.. this was from the wiring link I gave you: http://colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html

Look part way down for the heading: Speaker Cabinets/Cases/Wood Items

http://www.gear-vault.com/understanding-speaker-cabinet-designs/

http://www.gear-vault.com/cabinet-fever-part-two-speaker-components/

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/SpeakerCab.htm

http://rickjohnsoncabs.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=29

I had some plans on file but can't find the fricking things now. I'll keep on looking, but IMO you really don't need them....it's not that hard.

Check with different vendor sites on their speaker cab specs...most will have the dimensions. Heck, even MF and GC list the dimensions on some of the cabs they sale. IMO pretty much all you need...as I said not that hard.

Now the tolex...LOL, I had someone else do.

Anyhow I too find it cheaper just to order the silly things....here's another site if you decide to go that route. Never used them so have no first hand experience. But know a lot of folks that have and have been very pleased.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cabinets.asp?id=44972

EDIT// guess we was typing at the same time Eracer...just read about the US and UK thing. I think my site is on the US too...Oops, sorry Mr J.

For my self it's just not at the monetary level, but also time...LOL, actually a big part of it. Then you got the grill cloth, tolex, corners, handles, etc...it adds up. At the end the time VS the savings isn't worth it to me....at least not any more. I even get my plywood for free...figures, since it is cheap as you say.

FWIW...last time I did one I just used regular plywood. As I said I get mine for free...use what they have. Anyhow nothing fancy since it was going to be covered, but in good shape. Last thing I've build gear related was a head and used the same thing.

I wouldn't use MDF in a cab, besides weighing a ton it doesn't vibrate correctly.

The tough part about building your own cab is doing the tolex... that's the hard part.

You can use any joint you like for the wood. Dove tails are the strongest but you can use butt joints with support inside as well.

I made a pair of 8" cab's and used butt joints, knowing that I wasn't good with tolex I just used the textured spray paint.

Check out how you can make a cab look nice without tolex, carpet or paint

http://www.bobburtcabinets.com/catalog.90.html

The tough part about building your own cab is doing the tolex... that's the hard part.l

Yeah...what he said.

Them fricking corners and overlaping the edges. Some folks say it's easy...screw that! LOL, like I said I had some one else do mine...btw, that was free too. Well, free cash wise....still have to pay back favors some how.

I have done some PA speakers and tall racks that I did cover with that black carpet material. Automotive trunck liner is what I used, worked great too...a bit pricy but much cheaper and easier than tolex.

Everyone keeps saying its costly to build your own but a full size sheet of plywood is dirt cheap (8ft by 4ft)

Ply is best yeah? Or MDF?

you're looking at the wrong stuff then. Price 13 ply baltic birch and see how cheap it is. Then, add in the t-nuts, jacks, wiring, tolex, grill cloth, jack plate, handle, corners, and feet, and you'll find yourself VERY close to the cost of a pre-made cab., especially if you were to buy used.

have you bought your speakers yet?

what about this: Orange 2x12 with 30's

M-Theory is on the money again.. I found a mint 4x12 Crate for $200 it sounded ok, then Warehouse guitar speakers were just coming out, so I bought 2 - V30's for $20each plus shipping of $45. Wow they made the Crate SLM's sound like junk... now I wanted to replace the other two Crate speakers. but I had to pay $80 each V30 now plus $20 in shipping.

Now I'm at $465... I could have bought a Marshall 4x12 with Celestion's already loaded.

I've been trying to unload my 4 Crate SLM's for some time, can't even get $20 each for them to make some money back.

have you bought your speakers yet?

what about this: Orange 2x12 with 30's

Good price at £150. Those cabs are well expensive new. Ive got one celestion G12T75 on the way in the post and at home i have a celestion super 65 in my laney combo.

If i build or buy a cab i will get another G12T75 so they match. Theres a cheap harley benton cab for £106 with two speakers (unknown) 2x12 size. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212.htm or just get the 2x12 with 2 V30's for £160? Gonna sell my epi amp for some funds. Doesnt get played and now i feel i can sell it now ive changed a crap tube it sounds great again.

Maybe worth a look.

For cheap tolex-alternatives visit you local upholstery store.

Decent tolex only runs about $15 or so per yard. How much are you really going to save with cheap crap, and then have to put up with easy tears because of the "savings choice?" I suppose you could save even more by making the cabinet out of heavy cardboard too.

you're looking at the wrong stuff then. Price 13 ply baltic birch and see how cheap it is. Then' date=' add in the t-nuts, jacks, wiring, tolex, grill cloth, jack plate, handle, corners, and feet, and you'll find yourself VERY close to the cost of a pre-made cab., especially if you were to buy used. [/quote']

M is right, there's no savings building your own when so many shops have streamlined production facilities and can buy materials at bulk prices way below what you could ever find for one or two cabs. Plus they provide warranties, dovetail joinery and a wide array of styles and finishes that would be difficult to pull off even in a well-appointed home shop.

I regularly see used Avatar cabs for sale on Craigslist for a little as $75 (unloaded) and $200 (loaded) here in the Mid Atlantic. But if you had access to a professional shop (at a trade school for instance), and just wanted to do it for fun, or a class project, it could be rewarding....

Decent tolex only runs about $15 or so per yard. How much are you really going to save with cheap crap' date=' and then have to put up with easy tears because of the "savings choice?" I suppose you could save even more by making the cabinet out of heavy cardboard too. [/quote']

Look i never said i was gonna use cheap tolex. There is one reason i dont need to use top of the range bits and bobs as it wont leave the house. I only play guitar at home or at my friends and he has speaker equipment we use there. It is going to be a stationary cab in one room. I would buy the nesassary stuff for the cab to be built solid and look nice after finishing and have a couple of handles incase i ever move home.

Decent tolex only runs about $15 or so per yard. How much are you really going to save with cheap crap' date=' and then have to put up with easy tears because of the "savings choice?" I suppose you could save even more by making the cabinet out of heavy cardboard too. [/quote']

I've never seen tolex for 15 bucks a yard my way. Generally it runs for about 30 over here. So yeah, if he wants to save a buck and he's not a gigging musician and he wants to have a choice between a 1000 different alternatives instead of 10 exitingly different shades of dark grey, I would suggest him to visit the local upholstery store.

Cardboard? Actually I'd applaud such innovative and forward thinking if it weren't for the mockery...:-

I've never seen tolex for 15 bucks a yard my way. Generally it runs for about 30 over here.

Duct tape? If looks and durability are of no concern, why not REALLY save some cash? For that matter, just paint it and call it done.

Cardboard? Actually I'd applaud such innovative and forward thinking if it weren't for the mockery

I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to cheap out on something as critical as a speaker cabinet, especially since used ones aren't very costly.

So MrJones.. if you're not worried about it leaving home or the looks for that matter.

(FYI... I watched some Steve Ray Vaughan DVD's, The Bass player Tommy Shannon was using what looked to be two 2x12 home made cab's for some time.

Also the band that lives next door to me, thier cab's now have most of the tolex ripped off from the touring across the country in thier van.. road beaten I'd call it.. looks is what you make of it, sound is what you think you hear)

Go to the lumber yard and pick up some 3/4inch or 1" - 13ply birch plywood...

you can make the box as big or small as you like.

the smaller the box the less bottom end, bigger boxes are boomy.

you know just in simple thinking that two 12" speakers are 24"..

you'll need at least 1" between them.. probably 2 and at least another 1" or 2 on the left, right and top.

So your baffle would have to be 24+2+2+2=30" wide and 12+2+2=16" high.

the hole is usually 11.1" round, you can mount the speakers form behind with screws or in front with screws.

I’ve read but never heard but you supposedly loose some sound with a speaker mounted from behind.

now the next step is to build the box around the baffle... Butt joints are the simplest but you'll need a brace in each corner (this also helps to fasten the baffle and the back)

For this I might pick up some 1”x1/2” kindling or something that is as long as I need to fill the box on the inside from the baffle to the back.

so the top and bottom have to be 30”+ thickness of wood right side + thickness of wood left side.

Left side panel and right side panel are the same height as the baffle board which in this case is 16"

Depth of the cab is your choice 10” is about as narrow as you want, but how deep the cab is your choice, remember the deeper it is the more volume (that's interior space volume) the more bottom end you’ll have.

Last choice in the cab.. open or close back.. split it and just unscrew the back when needed.

Back on more bass, back off less bass more mid's and trebble from the back of the cone.

Don’t worry about should I angle one speaker or such, this should get you started.

If you don’t like the look of beige coloured plywood, buy some spray paint of you choice of colors, I used stone speckle red on the baffle and black with red speckle on the box when I built mine

Look i never said i was gonna use cheap tolex. There is one reason i dont need to use top of the range bits and bobs as it wont leave the house. I only play guitar at home or at my friends and he has speaker equipment we use there. It is going to be a stationary cab in one room. I would buy the nesassary stuff for the cab to be built solid and look nice after finishing and have a couple of handles incase i ever move home.

Not trying to discourage you - I love to fool around making things out of readily available items (see my home-made IKEA planter box tube amp)' date=' just trying to save you some ££. I've recently rebuilt a few old fender cabs, and let me tell you, even a rebuild is a more expensive and time consuming effort than you might think when you get into it, especially if you want it to look somewhat presentable.

In any case, make sure to post some pics of the cab when it's complete, restored, or bought straight up.

Archived