Gibson Brands Forums

Taking the Volume/Tone knobs off Safely?

Geetar_Axl

It doesn't really matter. You'll use them by feel anyway. You could make 1 your loudest number if you wanted. However, here's what I do to put them back on. I rotate the pots wide open (like I was playing on 10). Then I put one on while holding it in my lap like I was playing - usually I start with the volume on the bridge pickup. I line it up so 10 looks good to my eye. I press it on part way. The I set the guitar on my workbench (or ironing board perhaps =P~ ) and I push it on all the way. Then I line the others up to match and press 'em on. Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Havent used it yet. How often should I polish? Its still very clean and shiney. I was thinking everytime I change the strings..but that may be a bit much.

I found a way to get the knobs back perfect, on 10, the 0's are all pointing towards the left! Easy stuff now.

Did a search and couldn't even find my own post from a couple months ago, so here is a "reprint".

After trying to remove the knobs on a couple of Gibsons where even the screwdriver/spoon trick wouldn't work (at least without danger of breaking anything)' date=' I came up with this...

Lay something like a polishing cloth down on the top of your guitar and slip one edge under the knob.

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/2manyGuitars/misc/knob1.jpg[/img]

Pull the sides around until the cloth is wrapped all the way around the shaft of the pot.

knob2.jpg

Twist the cloth a few times so it's securely wrapped under/around the knob.

knob3.jpg

Grabbed the twisted side and also the opposite side and pull up. Most of the pressure will be on the twisted side, but you need to pull on both so the knob goes straight up.

knob4.jpg

Your guitar should now look like this...

knob5.jpg

By the way' date=' how often should I polish?[/quote']

When it's dirty .

Ive had my standard four years and have polished it four times .

Just keep it wiped down with a cotton or microfiber cloth .

I never take the knobs off to clean it either . the cloth fits under them just fine .

Just play it buddy ,It's not tiffany crystal ...

Yeah I've got a car micro fibre cloth, its very thick and massive. I was gonna cut it into 4 (Cleaner, buff, polish, buff) but I think I may buy that gibson pack or something. How many come in a pack usually?

Are they Microfibre cloths?

Archived