Gibson Brands Forums

Taking the Volume/Tone knobs off Safely?

Geetar_Axl

Hey guys,

I did a search to find if anyone had a guide to doing this but nothing. I read that you just pull them off, but is that safe? I need to know for when I polish my LP.

Also, I really cant find anything on taking off the Tune-a-matic bridge and Stop Bar either, Does the Tune just pull off the body and same with the Stop Bar posts?

Thanks guys!

I read that you just pull them off' date=' but is that safe? [/quote']

Don't pull them off. They are a pressed fit and it's unlikely they will stay on afterwards.

This is assuming you get them back on straight and they don't wobble.

Worst case, you may bend a pot shaft.

Just clean around them carefully and you won't have to buy new ones.

Also' date=' I really cant find anything on taking off the Tune-a-matic bridge and Stop Bar either, Does the Tune just pull off the body and same with the Stop Bar posts?[/quote']

The bridge simply lifts straight up when you take the strings off.

Pay attention which direction it was installed, which side the screw heads are on.

Swapping it will throw your intonation WAY off.

Make SURE you don't turn the thumbwheels under the bridge, they spin freely with no string tension pushing down.

Stop bar is a surprise for EVERYBODY first time they pull the strings off a Les Paul.

It simply falls off the posts and scratches your finish all to hell if you don't pay attention.

Loosen that last string and if you aren't paying attention, that big chunk of steel dings your guitar top!

Personal preference here;

If the stop bar posts move freely (they are threaded into the top of the guitar) run them all the way down to the body.

There will be all kinds of people arguing against this, but it puts less stress on the posts with the bar all the way down.

But like Neo said, it may damage them wont it?

Neo will I need a tool to screw them into the body? Or will it be safer to take them off?

So I should tape the Tune-a-matics thumbwheels and then take the tune off, do the thumbwheels come off with the tune-a-matic bridge?

Thanks for you help guys!

But like Neo said' date=' it may damage them wont it?[/quote']

AS 90 says it'll work, go for it!

I prefer to leave them on.

Neo will I need a tool to screw them into the body? Or will it be safer to take them off?

What? The stop bar studs?

A big screw driver will turn them if they are stiff' date=' usually they turn by hand.

Don't scratch them all up - or scratch the guitar!

So I should tape the Tune-a-matics thumbwheels and then take the tune off' date=' [/quote']

Tape 'em if you want. Works great.

do the thumbwheels come off with the tune-a-matic bridge?

No, they thread off the top of the stud if you WANT to remove them. Don't turn 'em.

Word of caution , the best method is to put a cloth under the control and wiggle it from side to side until it pops of but make sure you protect the whole body because one of mine came of went 2 feet in the air and landed back on the body putting a nice dink in the nitro. DAM.

The cloth thing is too hard, Im going the ol' Shoe lase trick or plastic bag one (Some other LP forum member came up with it) I came up with an easier plastic bag method, rip a hole in the handle and slip the hole over the knob and I think that would work!

There are many "home remedies" for this operation. I use two thin flat putty knives stacked on top of each other. The bottom one protects the finish while you use the other to gently pry the knob up off the first one.

Although a bit pricey, Stew-Mac sells a tool just for this purpose:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

As mentioned wiggle the knobs. The first time I tried with the shoelace it went flying in the air and took be 10 minutes to find it. Just wiggle back and forth until almost off (you will feel it getting easier to pull up) then just pull it up and off by hand.

As for the thumb wheels, I take em off so I can polish there better. I you want your action exactly as it currently is (and we've already discussed how many people are not comfortable doing their own) you can just measure their height and return them to that position.

Regarding the bridge, when you put it back together just remember that the saddle screws face the neck not the tailpiece.

Have fun you will know a lot more about your guitar at the end of the day.

Regarding the bridge' date=' when you put it back together just remember that the saddle screws face the neck not the tailpiece.

[/quote']

A word of caution.... my saddle screws face the tailpiece. Don't Customs face the neck/pups?

A word of caution.... my saddle screws face the tailpiece. Don't Customs face the neck/pups?

Yours is backwards then. :) Did it come new that way? I think Gibson's default is facing the pups. I have seen them reversed, but I thought only because the user reversed them (and then obviously reset their intonation!) Some people find it easier to adjust from the tailpiece side.

The shoelace should do the job. Don't buy the tool you'll save the money once you

see how easy they can be removed.

Once the TOM is off the screw turn easy, so tape will help if you don't want the string

height to change.

The stop tailpiece can slide away fast once you've removed the strings. You can loosen

the strings and pull it back and off before removing the strings.

Or maybe you can try suction cups.

Good luck.

Yours is backwards then. :) Did it come new that way? I think Gibson's default is facing the pups. I have seen them reversed' date=' but I thought only because the user reversed them (and then obviously reset their intonation!) Some people find it easier to adjust from the tailpiece side.[/quote']

Yes sir... from the factory like that. I am pretty sure I have read that they reverse that for customs, though I can't recall off the top of my head whether it was a post in this forum or "somewhere in inter-web land".

Yes sir... from the factory like that. I am pretty sure I have read that they reverse that for customs' date=' though I can't recall off the top of my head whether it was a post in this forum or "somewhere in inter-web land".[/quote']

Good to know... but puzzling. Both of my LPs came with bridge screws facing the pups.

And looking at Axl's larger pics of his new beauty in the other thread, I see his bridge screws faced the tailpiece too. Please ignore my previous comment telling you to face them inward, Axl! eusa_doh.gif

Archived