Gibson Brands Forums

cheap Epiphone

bill67

Whats the cheapest Epiphone you can get thats close to the Squire 51 in sound and quality.

Sorry Bill' date=' but I reckon you're barking up the wrong tree with that one.

[u']Squier 51:[/u]

squier51.jpg

I like these guitars. I have heard them described as Dr Frankenstein's Fender - which is quite appropriate...a bit of Strat, a bit of Tele, with a body shaped a bit like a old P-bass...single coil at the neck, humbucker at the bridge. What you can't get away from, however, is the 25.5" scale and the bolt-on neck. It's a Fender, after all.

As the Squier 51 is sadly no longer available, I'd just take a look at the current Squier range instead. People are raving about the Classic Vibe series. However, for your purposes (something closer in spirit to the 51), you might want to consider the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster SSH ( http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301230506 )

0301230506_xl.jpg

They go for around $349 - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSVMSSHOWT/

Yeah, the Squier '51 was a strange egg, even for Fender; great guitar. Unfortunately I can't think of a single Epi that will come close to a Squier '51 sound-wise. What you'd have to do would be to pick up a Special II, then replace the bridge pickup with a 4-wire humbucker so that you could coil tap it like the '51, and replace the neck pickup with a single coil. Not exactly simple or cheap. Basically the thing to do is to cruise the 'Bay for a used '51.

That is nowhere near 'exactly the same' as a Classic Vibe model. First, the CV Tele is pine, not alder, and the hardware is of much better quality and nickel-plated to boot. The neck on the CV is pretty shiny too.

That is nowhere near 'exactly the same' as a Classic Vibe model. First' date=' the CV Tele is pine, not alder, and the hardware is of much better quality and nickel-plated to boot. The neck on the CV is pretty shiny too.[/quote']

Having played both I can tell you they feel exactly the same. Sure the CV has a pine body, but I would rather have alder, the necks are identical. Both have excellent build quality. I would rather pay £89 for an SX Tele and slap on a new bridge than shell out £279 for a CV - and I LOVE the CV.

Havong seen a few SXs over the years I will give you that they are excellent guitars for the price... but when you say the necks are identical I can't help but wonder what you've been smoking. And the hardware is cruddy low-grade crap compared to the CV.

I can't help but wonder what you've been smoking.

Why are you being so rude? I really dont like the negative tone of your posts. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours doesn't mean you should act like a big baby.

Anyway, they have improved the whole line recently, and in Europe we get slightly different necks. I can spend £80 on the guitar, £20 on electronics, £30 on the bridge and tuners and £30 on pickups and make a CV killer for £120 less.

Archived