Gibson Brands Forums

Epi pot values?

Tiki

Can anybody tell me what pot values Epiphone ship their stock Sheraton II with? Is it 300K or less? I have been playing my new Sherry and I'm getting plenty of noise from the guitar ... ground noise that lessens when I touch the tail bar but then when I remove my hand the noise comes back again. Clearly I need to replace the electronics and pots complete to remedy this ... I was just curious about the pos vals also?

Thanks, Tiki.

This sounds like a grounding issue rather than an electronic problem.

I can't say that I would change all the electronics because of ground noise.

Firstly I would try a new cord to make sure that is not the problem. Cord ends are infamous for bad connections.

If you have a multimeter check all over the guitar for ground. Make sure you have a good ground at the output jack.

I might also check the amp input, and even the house power for ground.

I would check all the wiring to make sure it is well connected, with nice shiny solder joints.

Get a small automotive mirror to look inside, so you don't have to remove pots or switches.

Sometimes removing these can cause further problems. If they turn with the wrench, the wires may tear off, or weaken.

Remember that most of the time it is something simple. Check all the obvious first.

Gord,

It's not the guitar cable, I have plenty other guitars and none of them make this grounding noise - I know it is the wiring of the Sheraton and it's not the amp either. When I touch the tail piece the hum goes away ... when I remove my hand it's back again ... when I start playing the hum tends to fade away and it not and issue. I am not electronically inclined and don't have a multi ... don't have a little dentists mirror to slip into the treble hole either to check with. I did notice that the input jack screw was not tightening up and was just going around when I got it home ... not sure if this is the issue or not?

I am still curious to know the pot values of the Sheraton ... I do intend to change them and have the guitar rewired, new switch etc - makes sense to get it all solid when I change the pick ups. I ask about the pot values because I might try upping the pot values to 500k before totally abandoning the stock PU's just to see how they respond.

There's a pretty good article about choosing pots at the bottom of the web page here http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/article/show/35.

Here's a small bit of it:

"Basic rule of thumb goes like this: single coil pickups get a 250k pot, humbuckers get a 500k pot. Why is this? The higher the value of the pot, the brighter the sound, so higher value pots are used with humbuckers to allow a bit more high end to get through with what is, by design, a warmer sounding pickup. Lower value pots are used with brighter sounding pickups to tame some of the extended high end that is associated with single coils."

Johnny,

Thanks for the info ... I was reliably informed however by somebody over at the gear page that Gibson guitars all come stock with 300K pots ... not 500k. I'll read the article however and see what I can see .... anymore thoughts on the hum?

Best.

Tiki

Here's a link to a Sheraton wiring diagram

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/sheratonII%20wiring.JPG

You'll see that the pots are all shown as 500k audio taper. However a note in the left hand corner states " "USA Sheraton 1 and II use 300K linear taper Volume pots and 500K audio taper pots."

I'm with Gord on the hum problem. It's probably something as simple as a dry joint or a slightly loose wire. It may even be something to do with the loose jack socket as if it's got twisted I suppose it could cause a short.

Hope that helps a little

JG

If you are planning to take it in to have the gear replaced, make sure to get the tech to check all grounds.

If the tech is worth his salt, he will anyway.

Almost any time you get a hum with your hand removed from the guitar,

there is a bad ground somewhere.

When you put your hand back on the guitar, it gets quiet because it is grounded through you to the floor.

Archived