Gibson Brands Forums

any ideas?

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

On adding a toggle to a LP jr.

I want to add the P-rail by seymour duncan, but with a toggle to switch between P90/singlecoil/humbucker sounds.

Like, how would i go about this if i wanted to add it to the upper bout where a normal LP has its toggle switch located? I know putting it by the volume would be easiest but, i wanna different look.

You'd have to go with minis.. build a new plate.. and have two switches there..

I assume you want your three way for using both pups.

and a dp3t for the p rails.. in that spot it would have to be beside it.

Very doable.

Guest icantbuyafender

I'd want a 3 position toggle to from singlecoil/humbucker/p90 but I want it where normal LP's have the switch.... how the heck did lennon get his routed to have the extra pickup and switch there..... cause that's what I want minus the added pickup. how would I go about this TWANG?

with the existing volume and tone

You'd pay a lot of money to someone with experience.

In the case of Lennon's guitar, he had it routed to accept another pickup, and a very large pickup at that. From there, routing out a switch and drilling channels to connect them all isn't that hard.

Duane did the nearly the same thing to his Junior as John did, so he could tell you in detail.

The differences are the pickup and the construction - John used an original Charlie Christian, while Duane used a reproduction without the very large mounting plate. The neck joint also changed in the fifty years between when the two guitars were built.

Guest icantbuyafender

Would I just need to use a drill to make the connecting channels?

I hope duane reads this and gives some pointers...

i have done what you aspire to do to your jr, except i used push-pull pots to switch between pup options. I did not want to drill holes. It sounds very nice and it is easy to switch. The plus is i got a four sound with a very hot humbkr when both pots are down. The diagram comes in the package with the p-rail. Just an option to drilling holes!!!!

Archived