Gibson Brands Forums

My electric set up...

marbleheader

electricguitar.th.jpg

For about 20 years now, this has been my set up: a 1963 Fender Super Reverb amp, all original I might add! Even the speakers are original. And my baby, a 1962 Fender Stratocaster. And ever since about the mid 90's, no floor pedals, I go direct into the amp...I was in the middle of a gig at HOB in Cambridge and none other than Ronnie Earl approached me and looked at the pedals on the floor and said to me "you don't need that junk!" and with that said, I disconnected all the pedals and have never used one since...true story. We ended up becoming very good friends, he taught me a lot.

electricguitar.th.jpg

For about 20 years now' date=' this has been my set up: a 1963 Fender Super Reverb amp, all original I might add! Even the speakers are original. And my baby, a 1962 Fender Stratocaster. And ever since about the mid 90's, no floor pedals, I go direct into the amp...I was in the middle of a gig at HOB in Cambridge and none other than Ronnie Earl approached me and looked at the pedals on the floor and said to me "you don't need that junk!" and with that said, I disconnected all the pedals and have never used one since...true story. We ended up becoming very good friends, he taught me a lot.[/quote']

Hello homie! Nice set up! Neat story! Thanks for sharing both.

That must be a sweet sounding setup,your Strat must be an early "L" series,they were phenonimal.I have a '65 "L" series Strat and Jaguar and I play them through a '69 Bassman head and a circa '66 Leslie Model 16 and they sound lovely.It's hard to beat the clean bell-like tones of '60s Fender gear.

I don't need no stinkin' pedals. For some 45 years I plugged a 1958 Tele straight into a 1955 Fender Twin-Amp or when I wanted a bit of slapback echo - an early 1960s Maggie 260.

And since this is an acoustic forum - I just slap a DeArmond 210 pickup across the soundhole of my old Gibson SJ and plug straight in - no pedals, no preamps, no EQ - no nuttin.'

I too am a non pedal user. I've tried a bunch of 'em, they never really did anything for me, and I could always get a much nicer sound just using my amp controls.

That's a good looking Strat, and a nice amp too.

I bought a 1960 strat a yea r later traded it for a 61 jazzmaster which i still have' date=' play it thur a 60 bandmaster,I really thought the jazzmaster was way better then the strat and still do,I know no one else does.[/quote']

I would like to know why you think so. FYI--I am an acoustic player looking to go electric, so I'm genuinely curious, not looking to make an argument. Actually think you just might be right, at least for some purposes.

Archived