Gibson Brands Forums

old epiphone sheraton

joelab

Hello.

It's my first post. I have an old epiphone sheraton serial # 1101867. From my limited research, it looks like a Japanese made one. Here's a link that has what it looks like. it has a frequensator tailpiece and is real nice. you can tell it's quality.

http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/es-sential-hollowbodies/1261-epiphone-sheraton-ii-2.html

Anyway, my question is how much is it worth? It's in real good shapr. I bought it for $150 about 20 years ago in a pawn shop in plano tx. i knew it was a deal at the time. it also looks to have an original case, but the case is gibson.

So what's it worth and is e-bay a good place to sell?

joelab

Hello.

It's my first post. I have an old epiphone sheraton serial # 1101867. From my limited research' date=' it looks like a Japanese made one. Here's a link that has what it looks like. it has a frequensator tailpiece and is real nice. you can tell it's quality.

http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/es-sential-hollowbodies/1261-epiphone-sheraton-ii-2.html

Anyway, my question is how much is it worth? It's in real good shapr. I bought it for $150 about 20 years ago in a pawn shop in plano tx. i knew it was a deal at the time. it also looks to have an original case, but the case is gibson.

So what's it worth and is e-bay a good place to sell?

joelab

[/quote']

First we need to determine what exactly you have. The serial number decodes for both a Japanese Sheraton made in October of 1981 and a Korean-made Sheraton made in October of 1991 (which could seem like " about twenty years ago"). The link you provided had a lot of photos and you weren't specific about which photo you thought resembled your guitar. The guy in the Mickey Mouse gear at that link did provide a nice history lesson though. The fact that you say it has a Frequensator tail piece which indicates Japanese manufacture but that could also be after-market. The truth telling is in the headstock. Continuing the trend of my Mickey Mouse friend on the other forum I offer a history of Sheraton headstocks to determine what exactly you have.

The very first Sheratons appeared in 1958 shortly after Gibson introduced the ES-335 and were made in Kalamazoo but you already know that if you read the history lesson. This is what the headstock looked like:

d581_3-1.jpg

Value of the 1958-1962 Sheratons: You don't want to know.

The headstock changed in about 1962 to this:

p5_uwmcjzypt_so.jpg

Value of the 1962-1970 Sheratons: >$5K

Now, about 1979 a line of Japanese-made(by Matsumoku) Epiphones expanded to world-wide distribution. This is what you believe you have and if your headstock looks like this, you do:

c49e_1.jpg

Value: $700-$850

In 1985/1986 the first Korean-made (by Samick) Sheratons came along. The very first Sheratons had this headstock:

45725_1077_cimg3115-1.jpg

Followed later in 1986 by this headstock:

episher_headstockfront-1.jpg

These early Samick-made Sheratons can be had for around $375-$450.

In 1988 the Korean-made Sheratons' headstock again changed to this:

Bc00MHgB2kKGrHqUOKikEq5NWiDvWBK2MDf.jpg

Value: $375-$450

About the same time as the Elitist appeared with this headstock (1998):

sheraton5-1.jpg

A similar headstock logo started showing up on the Korean and later the Chinese-made Sheratons:

b43b_1_sbl.jpg

Value:Elitist-$700-$850. Later Korean and Chinese Sheratons- $350-$450.

There was also two Japanese-made (by Terada as were the Elitists) John Lee Hooker model Sheratons, a "Sheraton I" which had a Frequnsator and a "Sheraton II" which had a stop tail piece. The "Sheraton II" designation is usually a reference to a Korean-made Sheraton with full-sized humbuckers and a stop tail piece. After the JL Hooker endorsement was over the over-runs were sold without any reference to Hooker. I don't have a photo of these models but the headstock was similar to the one used on the Elitist models.

Value: $850-$1050 for any of these Terada-made Sheratons (super nice guitars!)

So, if you can determine what you have from the headstock, I've stated a ball park value. E Bay is a good place to sell but as with anywhere, it's possible to run into headaches. If you can't determine what you have, post a photo and someone here will let you know. At any rate I think you'll get far more than $150. Good luck.

Larens

Archived