Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Special - Looking for new tuners. Any idea...?

Hector Arcadius

Hi all,

New to the Epi forum, although I have been hanging out in the Gibson forum as well (same name / avatar etc.).

Although I love my relatively new Gibson Les Paul Studio, I wanna keep playing my Epiphone SG Special that I started on. Problem is: the tuners. I'm thinking to do my very first mod on it (if it goes ok, perhaps I will keep moding it, just for the fun on it...!). I've been looking for some replacement tuners on e-bay (Grovers & Klusons) and what puzzles me is that they seem to have their screw holes in different places than my stock ones.

Is that an issue to worry about? Should I just go ahead and create new holes on my headstock? Are there specific tuners I should search the global market for? Anyone has done the same upgrade before and can give a tip / advise...?

Thanks in advance for any replies guys!

It's highly unlikely you will find a tuner that is an upgrade over the stock ones, and keeps the same screw holes in the back of the headstock. So if you want to upgrade them, you're probably going to have to drill some holes.

For a quality, reliable, precise tuner, you can't go past Grover Rotomatics with an 18:1 Ratio. These tuners come stock on most G400 SGs, Les Pauls, etc.

Here's a link to StewMac

They're not greatly expensive either, and in my opinion are some of the best non locking tuners you can buy. Their operation is smooth, precise, and they are very stable.

They will fit the current pegholes, and are a nut and washer type just like the stock ones. Installation is easy, just remove the old ones, fit the new ones, align, drill, screw, done.

Gonna have to go with Swoopydoop on this. There are practically no aftermarket tuners that match the Epi screw holes, and Grover Rotomatics are also my tuner of choice, after getting a set on my LP Prophecy, they go on every guitar I acquire. Simply outstanding tuners.

Thanks a lot both of you guys! It seems that I cannot avoid some new little holes at the back of the headstock, so I will go with these.

Rock on!

Small remark: On both of the forums I dwell, it seems that Aussies & New Zealands are the most friendly and quick to reply guys. Is that a coincidence? I don't think so. Well done mates! [biggrin]

Got a question here guys. You do understand he's talking about an SG "Special", right? It has cheaper tuners, like Stew Mac's Economy series. His guiar probably has 8mm holes in the peg head. Not 10mm like a Std. SG-400 with Grovers. I ask because, his replies seem to indicate he thinks he's only has to make new screw holes. He may find he needs to drill out the peg head also. Our boy here, may be in for a surprise!

Faded....

Even so, it's not difficult to drill the holes is it? Given that there's already a hole there, it's not hard to run a 10mm drill bit through. I suppose that might damage the finish around the holes. Or is there something else I am missing?

O.K. guys, let's summarise this: New tuners, check the size of their holes, buy the respective drill, drill down the headstock (causing the least possible damage to the finish) then screw the tuners and there I go...

What the hell, if I'm ever gonna start modding any guitar and learn through the process, my inexpensive Special is the place to start I guess!

Thanks a lot for the replies once again!

O.K. guys' date=' let's summarise this: New tuners, check the size of their holes, buy the respective drill, drill down the headstock (causing the least possible damage to the finish) then screw the tuners and there I go...

What the hell, if I'm ever gonna start modding any guitar and learn through the process, my inexpensive Special is the place to start I guess!

Thanks a lot for the replies once again![/quote']

Sounds about right. Might like to remove one of the current tuners when you do a string change, and if you a have a vernier caliper handy, just measure the internal diameter of the hole in the headstock. If it's 8mm as suspected, then you'll more than likely need to enlarge the hole to fit upgraded tuners, as most decent tuners need a 10mm hole. The peg itself isn't 10mm in diameter, but they are surrounded by a 10mm dia sleeve at the bottom end of them, which is cast as part of the tuner, and this is where the 10mm hole size is needed.

I don't really think you'll damage the headstock. I don't think a reamer is any more gentle than a drill, in fact, probably worse.

I have that same guitar. I replaced the tuners with Grover mini rotos. I had to drill the new holes AND enlarge the holes in the peghead.

The other issue is that the original tuners will have left outline impressions in the poly finish. No biggie really, but they will be visible.

Just make sure to either use a reamer or firmly clamp a backing block to the peghead when drilling.

The nut could also be contributing to your tuning issues. The Specials don't get a lot of attention going out of the factory and the nuts can be hit or miss.

EG

Archived