Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird True Vintage

Eddie Rondack

Played one today at a local guitar shop... wonderful, like buttah...

I thought someone said somewhere that they were putting a new type of pickguard on these... one that has the design "inside" the pickguard so it wouldn't rub off...

Not on the one I played today, an '07 model... it was right on top and extremely "rubbable"...

What's up... did I dream it?

I wish I could offer you more insight as far as longevity, but I can only speak for mine which is showing no wear at all. Is it because it's engraved and has better paint, or is it because I barely touch the pick guard on my guitars? I can't answer that.

I also have never seen an H'Bird MC to see how the pickguard compares to mine.

I can say that I have been lurking these Gibson forums for a few years, and since the introduction of the "MC" line and the "TV" line, I have not seen a single post where someone is complaining about the paint coming off the pickguard. Whereas prior to the introduction of these lines, it was commonplace for people to complain within a few weeks that their pickgaurds were already worn.

EDIT:..typo

• 1 year later...
I thought someone said somewhere that they were putting a new type of pickguard on these... one that has the design "inside" the pickguard so it wouldn't rub off...

Not on the one I played today' date=' an '07 model... it was right on top and extremely "rubbable"...

What's up... did I dream it?[/quote']

The idea behind the True Vintage is to make it as close to vintage as possible. So logically, why would they introduce a completely modern way of doing the pickguard on a guitar people are paying EXTRA for to avoid modern touches?

A lot have been said in this forum about TV. I would add that you can have 3 différents sounds.

Strumming with plectrum is full of wealth, not as much as a D28 or J45RW because it keeps that nice mellow, but amazing for mahogany.

Using a round corner of the plectrum (and not the edgy one) gives you more the sound of modern classic Hummingbird, airy and sweet.

Playing with fingers gives a soft and muffled sound. Most woody.

You can do anything.

Using a capo higher than 3rd fret is more done for the compressed sound of J45, but everything else is more efficient with the Hummingbird TV in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Archived