Epiphone Les Paul Jr....

SketchyEtchy

Guest icantbuyafender
Wooooo' date=' looks like I will be making a nice purchase then. Thanks

Kai [biggrin

Wow thats a fresh take on a LP jr.

good find.

Hang on, there are several levels of Epi LP Juniors:

1. The current Epi LP Jr. (the one in the GAK link) has a plywood body, bolt-on neck, very inexpensive Humbucker PUP, and the pressed metal tuners will need to be replaced ASAP. The PUP sounds harsh IMHO and should probably be replaced also. Sell for $129 USD, $89 - $99 on sale. $229 as part of a starter pack: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Gutiar-and-All-Access-Amp-Pack?sku=513158

2. The last round of budget Epi JRs, at least had a P-90 (more consistent with the Gibby original), which could be upgraded to a Lollar or some other nice P-90. Same POS tuners as the current model (sorry Epiphone) and same bolt-on neck. Same or similar pricing as above: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300376960762&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3. The discontinued Les Paul Jr. '57 reissue ("Custom Shop Limited Edition") had a solid mahogany body, a P90 and real Grover tuners. Sold for $299 originally, and now fetching upwards of $400: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250504868834&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

After that, you're into the Gibsons which range in price from $839 USD for the standard model to as much as $4,999 for the John Lennon model:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=580091

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-LimitedEdition-John-Lennon-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=514572

All except the JL are a decent value for the money, as was the original "budget model" LP Junior.

Just understand that a $100 LP Jr. is still a $100 plywood MIC guitar, nothing more. I know, I have one, and it already has a new Seymour Duncan pickup and tuners: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12150

It's actually a really fun git to play with the upgrades, I was just rockin' out this afternoon on the Smithereens Blood and Roses. A fun song to play...

(N)ot sure if I want it now due the neck being attached on. Hmmmm [biggrin]

That's the way the Epi Juniors come, bolt-on neck. Now if only Gibson would let the Epi come out with a set neck as a Ltd Ed!! (I know, I know, too close the the Gibson, but still . . .)

I love the look of this one! The all black is sharp. Sort of a take on the Goth's, but not the matte finish.

Sheila

So what your saying is' date=' don't bother with the Jr off "gak" because its gonna cost roughly the same amount as getting a P-90. [/quote']

It's really a very basic starter guitar. If you have some spare parts lying around that need to be repurposed then it's a fine super-cheap platform. But wait until it's on sale, I got mine for $78 USD, brand new.

On the other hand, if you LOVE the Jr. vibe, look for an Epi '57 (set neck) reissue on eBay, Craigslist or a local shop. Otherwise, save up your sheckles for standard Gibby Jr. I've got both on my list....

Brianh' date=' plywood? GAK ad says alder. I know nothing meself. Don't fancy it either.[/quote']

Dunno. The ones they're selling in the US have a creme PUP surround and are glossy black or sunburst over plywood. This flat black one could be something new, only for the European market.

Or it could be Alder plywood.

Only one way to find out - someone needs to buy one and dissect it...

They did' date=' but it's disco'd, a shame: [/quote']

Needed to add the word "again" to my original sentence!

I knew they had them, and as you see they are now selling for more than the Studio, their lowest level set neck. $425 used! (Out of curiosity, does anyone remember what the 57 Reissue sold for new?) Thanks for sharing that one Brian and yes, it's a shame they aren't around. I hear they are quite good.

Sheila

I love the Jr. vibe' date=' and this is in my price range, and i could change the bits, but its the bolted neck thats putting me off. So i might just save and see if i can find a Ltd Epiphone or Gibson. I still got my SG tho [biggrin']

Epoxy the neck to the body and then reattch the screws. That would make it a "glued in neck"

I knew they had them' date=' and as you see they are now selling for more than the Studio, their lowest level set neck. $425 used! (Out of curiosity, does anyone remember what the 57 Reissue sold for new?) Thanks for sharing that one Brian and yes, it's a shame they aren't around. I hear they are quite good.

Sheila[/quote']

One of the local shops has one for $299. A TV yellow second. As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with it it got the wrong truss rod cover. a "Les Paul Custom" instead of "'57 Reissue". I kinda like it, but I don't think I could ever love it. I ought to snatch it up and put it on eBay...

I knew they had them' date=' and as you see they are now selling for more than the Studio, their lowest level set neck. $425 used! (Out of curiosity, does anyone remember what the 57 Reissue sold for new?) Thanks for sharing that one Brian and yes, it's a shame they aren't around. I hear they are quite good.

Sheila[/quote']

I believe they sold for $299 new - that was a freakin' steal, should've bought two! Someone here or the Wiki said they got one new on closeout for $180.

There's a whole thread on JRs with Gary's awesome mods over there: http://epi.p3net.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2659

I believe they sold for $299 new - that was a freakin' steal' date=' should've bought two! Someone here or the Wiki said they got one new on closeout for $180. [/quote']

WOW! Assuming you got "one" then? I've heard they are oh-so-close to the Gibby's, which of course sell for $800/900. I'm more than thrilled to have my Epi Studio, but now I've got the bug and what one of everything!

I'll find Gary's thread and check it out. Thanks, Brian!

Sheila

WOW! Assuming you got "one" then? I've heard they are oh-so-close to the Gibby's' date=' which of course sell for $800/900. I'm more than thrilled to have my Epi Studio, but now I've got the bug and what one of everything![/quote']

Not yet, just the $78 Black Friday special in the other post.

But I know where one is, and I'm not telling!

PS: I think there's a shot for the one-of-everything virus. But there's a shortage, same as H1N1...

Not yet . . .but I know where one is' date=' and I'm not telling![/quote']

Happy Hunting, and don't forget the pics!!

PS: I think there's a shot for the one-of-everything virus. But there's a shortage' date=' same as H1N1...[/quote']

Not sure I want a cure for this! Of course I may need to win Mega Millions to get another fix, but I can live with the love!!

Sheila

One of the local shops has one for $299. A TV yellow second. As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with it it got the wrong truss rod cover. a "Les Paul Custom" instead of "'57 Reissue". I kinda like it' date=' but I don't think I could ever love it. I ought to snatch it up and put it on eBay...[/quote']

Don't think you'll make any money off that. The one on EBay now for $425 is the more desirable sunburst, isn't a second and has the correct TRC - and it still isn't selling.

$300 for a good-condition '57 Jr. RI is about right, I almost snagged one a few weeks ago for $325 with a Lollar P90 and the original PUP.

PS: If you buy one, watch out - you may get the bug...

Archived