Gibson Brands Forums

Just played a Gibson 2008 Standard Ebony - Massive disappointment!

wiggy

Does your experience about this point include the custom shop V.O.S. models ?

Peter

Nope, everyone I work for with that kind of money buys a vintage axe. Only seen one new Custom Shop this year, and it was free! I have one guy with a Gibson endorsement that gets a new guitar or two every year, (high end one off jobs, nothing off the rack at all) but they get special attention before they get shipped to him, so I can't judge by that experience alone. We send them the specs for the setup and fretwire he likes (think super jumbo) and they make it happen. But they aren't made on the production link, and they don't get pleked. I only repair 'em after he kills them on tour.

But I have seen PLENTY of LP Standards, Classics, Customs, the new '59, an ES175, and a few SGs off the top of my head that all NEEDED a lot of fret work to even play all the notes, much less feel good. Not a one of these guitars was under $1500, most about twice that and for that scratch, the thing should at least be playable. I know you can't give a factory set up to please everyone, but you can cleanly dress the frets for your customer base.

I just get the impression most manufacturers just don't care about making good guitars, only making good money. That is the only thing that can explain so many backwards steps in QC and R&D.

FWIW' date=' I don't think chambering automatically reduces sustain. I know it's a different body shape, but my Gibby LP DC Studio sustains just as well as the solid mahogany Gibbys. It has set mahogany neck, chambered mahogany body, and carved maple cap. At the moment I have 2 solid slab-tops to compare it with, a LP Special and a LP Special DC. All sustain very nicely unplugged.

I picked up a new Gibby LP Studio in a shop and could tell straight away it was chambered because of the lightness. However, it sounded dead unplugged. I suppose different batches of wood make all the difference...

[/quote']

IMO it's the fatness of the sound, rather than the sustain, that is diminished by chambering.

Alan

So I was in GC Nashville today, (the best GC I've ever been into, the staff is pleasant if not the brightest bunch around, and the merchandise ins't all beat to hell.) I picked up EVERY Gibson they had with unbound fingerboards. ALL of them had razor frets. From the faded models to the custom shop, if the board wasn't bound the fret ends were razor sharp. So much for Quality Control. On a side note NONE of the Epis I picked up had this issue. Hands down Epi QC is better that Gibson QC. And that's not quite right...

So I was in GC Nashville today' date=' (the best GC I've ever been into, the staff is pleasant if not the brightest bunch around, and the merchandise ins't all beat to hell.) I picked up EVERY Gibson they had with unbound fingerboards. ALL of them had razor frets. From the faded models to the custom shop, if the board wasn't bound the fret ends were razor sharp. So much for Quality Control. On a side note NONE of the Epis I picked up had this issue. Hands down Epi QC is better that Gibson QC. And that's not quite right...[/quote']

Thats probably GC fault. They don't keep the proper climate in there for healthy guitars. The guitar is severely dry and the fretboard has shrunk away from the fret's causing the ends to protrude. There is a reason I won't buy a guitar from them.

Thats probably GC fault. They don't keep the proper climate in there for healthy guitars. The guitar is severely dry and the fretboard has shrunk away from the fret's causing the ends to protrude. There is a reason I won't buy a guitar from them.

The board didn't seem dry, but it can be hard to tell. But if that was the case you'd think that any other instument with un-bound fingerboards would have the same issue. Nope... Just the Gibsons. And I picked up and played A LOT of stuff. (I was there 3 hrs.) only the Gibsons had razor frets. Not the the Fenders, PRSes,Gretches, Epis, Warwicks, Framuses...*wanders away mumbling to self*

Wow, can guitar necks really shrink that much? I never knew that. If you have bound necks, won't the frets start to dig into the binding or even cause binding to delaminate?

Archived