Gibson Brands Forums

Just played a Gibson 2008 Standard Ebony - Massive disappointment!

wiggy

I was in one of my favourite guitar shops earlier today looking at overdrive pedals and when I wanted to try one of them out they set me up with a brand new 2008 Ebony Standard and a Fender Blues Deluxe so that I could have a play.

They say you should never meet your heroes and this certainly seemed to prove it - what a massive disappointment - the LP was horrendous.

I don't want to get into the Epi vs Gibson thing and my opinion has always been that Gibson use better materials, electronics, hardware, etc but in this case I genuinely believe that my Epi is a better guitar and that's simply not how it should be.

The Gibson was so light that I really could believe that it's not just chambered but actually completely hollow or made from balsa. Now I know that's not necessarily a sign of lack of quality but it just didn't feel like a quality instrument. in fact if it wasn't for the fact that the shop is one of the main Gibson outlets in the UK I'd have said it was a cheap Chinese knock off. The compound radius neck felt no different to the 'normal' neck on my Epi and despite it being Plek'd wasn't anything special in terms of playability.

The pcb mounted controls felt cheap and nasty even compared to the cheap and nasty ones fitted to my epi (and that's saying something!) They function better but I can't help wondering for how long.

What really stood out though (or rather didn't) was the lack of sustain, both acoustically and plugged in, compared to my Epi. My Epi sustains forever and when you pick a note you can feel it run up the neck and across the body - the Gibson was dead in comparison.

I so wanted the Gibson to be everything I had imagined it would be and I feel totally let down.

I know this is only one guitar but if this is indicative of the current LP Standards then they don't deserve to be called Les Pauls.

My 13 lbs 1980 LPC just about makes every guitar I pick up feel less substantial[biggrin]

One thing I have learned when playing guitars off the walls of music stores is they are never set-up to where I like them. But I look beyond that, and look for the potential of the instrument. Certainly $1500 plus is a bit for "potential." Other than my Moser guitars, I have yet to purchase a guitar that didnt need fret dressing and a complete set-up to accommodate my playing style.

You just proved the fact that all guitars are different.

This is true on acoustics more so than electrics, but there are times when the sum of the parts even great quality stuff like Gibson uses don't gel and times when the cheaper components can come together and make a great guitar.

That is why I won't ever order a guitar on line again. Plus part of the fun of buying any guitar is playing a bunch and finding the one you really bond with.

Dave

Sorry, for your negative experience, Wiggy. It happens, unfortunately.

Admittedly, I have purchased "on line," and through E-bay. But, in only 2 instances.

My Riviera P-93LE from MF (there were NO versions of that guitar, locally, at the time...

and "locally," to me, is 100 miles away). And...my MIJ '61 SG Standard, that I got

off E-bay, from Japan! They ARE great guitars, both! Needed a very slight "set up,"

but only to "MY" preferences.

But, I do understand the frustration, at playing a Gibson Les Paul, that's just not "There!"

I have played several, over the years, that were "bricks," both in weight and (more importantly)

tonally. My '80 Les Paul Custom is an Anvil, weight wise, but it's a tone monster, and has wonderful

playability! So, try before you buy, is always preferable. You CAN get lucky, on line, but I would

always prefer to play (several) until I found "The One," especially at Gibson prices these days!

CB

Thing is this wasn't so much about the playability of the guitar which I totally agree is a matter of personal preference, playing style and that undefineable something whcih one guitar will have over all others you try. This was much more about the lack of quality feel and impression of the guitar as a whole - it simply didn't feel like a quality instrument in the way that you would expect a Gibson to (that feeling of quality you get with say a 335, a Firebird or an Explorer.)

That's what I meant when I said that my Epi genuinely felt like a much better quality guitar and, good as the Epi is, that simply shouldn't be the case. Certainly when the Gibson is 4x the price (£1799.00).

I had a similarly disappointing experience with a Gibby LP studio a little over a year ago. Here's what I posted at the time:

In passing, I had a chance to try a new Gibson Les Paul Studio (Black with gold hardware) today. I've been GASing for a Gibby studio for a while now and thought I'd see how it compared with my EE manufactured Epi LP Standard Plus.

Here are my conclusions:

-Firstly, the nut was cut VERY poorly. The strings were packed so tight in the slots that at least three were binding- pinging away like crazy. It was impossible to keep in tune. OK it can be fixed but I expected better.

-The action was quite low and comfortable but, then again, my Epi LP is just as fast and comfy; albeit with a slimmer flatter profile. Perhaps the fretboard felt a bit smoother on the Studio, although its more rounded profile could have accounted for this. The Studio's neck felt a bit wider than the 50s neck on my Gibson SG special but was still quite nice. I like either 50s or 60s profiles.

-Even with a bit of bow, there was some buzzing going on there. Nothing that couldn't be sorted I would imagine.

-The finish was nice enough but I didn't notice any appreciable difference compared to my Epi, bar the quality of the electronics being lower on the Epi.

-The pickups were nice (hotter than on my Epi LP) but nothing special on the Fen**r valve amp which was provided (sorry forgot to check which model). I much prefer the pickups on my SG special- brighter and more vintage sounding, and the crisp, growly P90s on my Wildkat are much much nicer too.

-I then turned the amp off and played it 'unplugged'. This killed it for me- It was dreadful! Very thin and tinny sounding. Unplugged, my Epi LP sings like a bird- beautiful thick fat sounding resonance that sustains for ever, even when the strings need changing. No wonder the studio sounded nothing special plugged in. Amplified, it just didn't seem to sustain as much as I'd expected. Maybe the chambered body was the problem or perhaps it just the luck of the draw depending on the slab of wood you get.

-Looks wise, my Epi blows away the Gibson with its lovely flame veneer top, burst paint job and the cream binding.

-Cost wise- about 2.5 times greater for the studio

I know this head to head comparison is hardly a controlled experiment but I'm no longer GASing for that studio.

I'll keep my Epi LP thanks.

Alan

Yeah, I picked out my last 2 Fender's (Highway 1 Strat and "Texas" Telecaster), and my LP Classic, totally

by feel, and how they sounded unplugged. I was going to change pickups, on the Fender's to "noiseless,"anyway...

and the LP was so nice, unplugged, that when I did plug it in, it was even better...hot pickups, and all.

I may (at some point) put some '57's in it...but, it does what I want/need, right now, anyway.

CB

I found much the same thing when I bought my Ultra 2.

Played it side by side with 3 different Gibson Les Pauls, through the same amp.

A studio, a standard and a custom, all played through a Fender Twin Reverb.

The Ultra just felt better. Lighter, and the tummy cut is a big thing for comfort. The satin finish neck

on the Ultra kicked butt.

Yeah for about 2500.00 more, the Custom was as good. Perhaps a bit fuller tone on the treble side.

The fret dressing was virtually the same on all of them; they needed work. Factory setups are very generic.

The Ultra 2 of course has the Nanomag, making it a far more versatile instrument,

for way less money.

And I can still spend a couple hundred on pickups and get the sound I want.

Guest icantbuyafender

The Plek thing leaves the frets too high for my liking. The best neck I've ever played was an Agile that cost my buddy less than an epi.

Maybe Gibby should contract Agile to have them dress their frets for them. :D

I think you've gotta play a few more to get the full big picture. I've played some HUGE Gibby dogs before, both in setup, and in pure build. But I've played some great ones too, the nicest playing, feeling, and sounding Gibson Les Paul I've played so far was the new Gary Moore BFG. Subjective? Sure. But I"ve played many different types of guitars and LP's, and damn this guitar was special, liked it better than the R's, and as much as my Elitist Goldtop(hmhmhm).

So, go back, try some more Standards, and if you like em' heavier, for less dough try some Traditionals, then come back with a complete report. If you still like the standard Epi line better, sweet!!! You'll save yourself tons of money in your guitar playing lifetime!!!

I was at GC today and picked up a LP Studio in a satin black and let me tell ya...the fret ends were sticking so far out I got a little cut from sliding around. That's the 2nd Gibson I've played that was like that...you would think the frets would be dressed for that kind of price. Sounded great though...

I was at GC today and picked up a LP Studio in a satin black and let me tell ya...the fret ends were sticking so far out I got a little cut from sliding around. That's the 2nd Gibson I've played that was like that...you would think the frets would be dressed for that kind of price. Sounded great though...

Were they both in the same store? It's entirely possible that a combination of an unbound fretboard and a very dry store will do that.

My Spirit had sharp frets when I bought it. A few days in the basement and it wasn't anymore.

Were they both in the same store? It's entirely possible that a combination of an unbound fretboard and a very dry store will do that.

My Spirit had sharp frets when I bought it. A few days in the basement and it wasn't anymore.

Fret finishing seems to be one of the areas that guitar manufacturers are using to cut costs. Both Gibson and Fender are turning out some guitars that are absolutely savage on the hands without a trip to our tech for some filing. I mean' date=' were talking about giving pre-test drive [b']tetanus boosters[/b] on some of these!

Jim

ok i recently bought the epiphone 84 reissue explorer. Even though i get **** for it on the esp forum..they say its garbage and its firewood. I have been playing for almost 24 years and had so many guitars..this guitar is amazing playing wise and sound wise. It's solid and not cheap at all. i recently went to guitar center and picked up a lesp paul studio silverburst and was just like you guys..majorly dissapointed.

It felt hollow and cheap and was quite dissapointed and then i picked up the epiphone les paul custom with the silverburst and had such a weight difference. The epiphone felt more real. i didnt get a chance to plug them in but the gibson's action was so high that you could of used it as a crossbow.

and i agree with the gentlemen at the top..there isn't a guitar i have seen in a store that didn't need a setup or a fret dressing after i bought it..

I have a whole new respect for epiphone lately , they might be made oversees but i believe they are putting more care into them than the americans are

The Gibson was so light that I really could believe that it's not just chambered but actually completely hollow or made from balsa.What really stood out though (or rather didn't) was the lack of sustain' date=' both acoustically and plugged in, compared to my Epi. My Epi sustains forever and when you pick a note you can feel it run up the neck and across the body - the Gibson was dead in comparison.

[/quote']

Looking at the pictures it seems to have a one piece mahoghany neck, but under

the maple top skin, the weight reduction and chambering, probably have affected

sustain capabilty.

I guess, it's the old story..do you want the sustain and the added

weight of a solid mahogany carved maple top, or less weight with a chambered

body.

It's hard to come up with a comprimise to satisfy both requirements unless you go

with a neck through design, where the neck and tone block are one piece with

added wings to make up the body.

I just bought a Vox vt30 after trying it out at GC. I bought a new one boxed up. I told my wife they gave me a VOS '57 goldtop to test it and how it felt totally different than anything I've ever played. It had a really nice thick neck. She said, "you may have to look at one this year". This is the first time I've ever considered buying a Gibson, now that I have permission. The VOS is a $3,700 guitar.

I just looked at a standard 50's neck LP and was somewhat let down. The neck didn't feel any different than my epi '56 goldtop. And the green tulip tuners felt cheap, next to the grovers. It's cost was $2,295. And being a floor model, it was pretty banged up.

I don't feel like paying $3,700 for a Gibson just to get a little thicker neck. And at $2,295, there wasn't enough difference for me to pay that either.

Right now, I'm sticking with Epi, unless I happen to bump into a exceptional used Gibson.

totally agree i would not pay that much for a gibson...the quality does not justify the price lately on them..they are really slacking lately

Because if they cost $1-2K a piece, what's the point in quality control? Gibson doesn't have seconds. If something fails inspection it gets cut in half and put in a dumpster. (I know a dude, who bought a Les Paul with an Explorer neck. Both pieces had been fished out of the dumpster and put together by a Gibson employee) That's just throwing money away, when they can just toss it out there and some poor boob will buy it.

That must be the reason so many guitar factories use this PLEK-machine' date=' especially the non-budget ones

[biggrin

Peter

They do it do cut corners and save money. It increases profits by reducing labor costs while increasing volume. Its all about the bottom line. A cold hard fact, is I have seen more brand new Gibsons in the last 18 months that have horribly botched fret jobs than I ever have in my life. Many were literally unplayable.

Not at the same store...the first Gibson I played that had sharp fret ends was a few years ago...it was a LP Voodoo. I also owned a SG Voodoo that needed a fret dress...not to mention the headstock broke off...while in the case! The damn thing fell over in it's case and broke. I almost cried. That was the last straw for me...now I am content on buying Epiphones. If it breaks then I won't be out of 1000.00+ dollars. Plus tonally there really isn't that much of a difference. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW, I don't think chambering automatically reduces sustain. I know it's a different body shape, but my Gibby LP DC Studio sustains just as well as the solid mahogany Gibbys. It has set mahogany neck, chambered mahogany body, and carved maple cap. At the moment I have 2 solid slab-tops to compare it with, a LP Special and a LP Special DC. All sustain very nicely unplugged.

I picked up a new Gibby LP Studio in a shop and could tell straight away it was chambered because of the lightness. However, it sounded dead unplugged. I suppose different batches of wood make all the difference...

Archived