Gibson Brands Forums

50's 60's wiring....????

Was doing some research looking at some information outside the forum today about people putting new pickups in Firebirds and those who have changed out the pickups keep referring to either replacing the assembly with 50's or 60's wiring. Can anyone shed light on what the difference is .....

Interesting this, must be very important along with pot, capacitor, wire choice if trying get an authentic vintage tone and performance...

Will have speak to Carverman about this, he mentioned something to me about this in an earlier thread.

You can find your vintage tone pickups, but stands to reason your assembly must also, suit the tone your seeking as well.

Will have to find out what set up of the assemblies on the early USA made Sheraton 1's...................

Thanks guitslinger

My GLP supposedly (as told by an "authorized" Gibby repairman)has '50's wiring, but Bill Lawerence "circuitboard" pickups, which I have to replace because they're screwed........

I'm posting the long/painful version of this story in the Lounge.........and i'll let ya know how the p'up swap goes.

50's wiring has the tone control connected at the output lug of the volume control instead of connecting to the input lug: the difference is 50's wiring does not lose as much of the treble frequencies when the volume is turned down.

Correct except for the lug. :-)

[edit] unless you want independant volume controls...[confused]

Archived