Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting Truss Rod - What ways do "y'all" use?

animalfarm

I keep seeing pics of the Factory Jigs involving a metal rod

with dial indicators. Would love to have one, have no idea where

to source one.

I just straightened the necks on both my Epis with amazing success

using just an 18" metal machinist's ruler.

Before, I would usually just sight down the neck using the strings as a

reference, and did the usual "hold string at 1st fret, hold string at 13th fret"

measure gap at 7th fret.

Works OK.

This time, I placed the ruler on the 1st fret and the last fret with the guitar

held vertically, ruler between 3rd and 4th strings, and a bright light behind

to allow me to see the gaps under the ruler. WOW, more than I expected.

Soooo, a 1/8th tightening turn, retune to pitch, leave git for a couple of hours.

Recheck, another tightening turn, retune, leave guitar alone. Did this slowly over

a day and a half. Final result was machinist's ruler touched every fret with NO

gaps on ANY fret. I set the action on both to 4/64th Low E, 3/64ths Hi E, and

I have ZERO fret buzz. I don't believe I've EVER seen the necks this straight -

Totally amazing, I did something right???

How do others adjust your git necks?

I generally use some form of wrench.

The neck relief gauge you mentioned can be found at Stewart MacDonald, but I do this for a living, and have never felt the need for one. Now, they do have a jig that can simulate string tension on an unstrung neck I have been interested in.

I'm very primitive and don't have any fancy gauges or anything. I would like to get a string height gauge, and a straight edge and what not, but so far my method is adequate. I press the string at the first and last fret and then press it at the 12th fret to check the height there. According to the owners manual that came with my Strat, the height at the 12th with the first and last pressed should be around .010". If it's too large, then the neck is bowed and I tighten the truss rod, ususally only about 1/6 of a turn at a time, until I find it acceptable. I then retune and check the action. All my guitars have low action, 6/64 bass, 5/64 treble. Animalfarm's method sounds good, and seems to yield even lower action, probably because it's a bit more precise than my method. I like my action low, but not super low because it simply feels weird.

Guest icantbuyafender

Not one to thread-jack.... but

If a truss rod is broken, like the head is stripped, if it is straight as is would it still do what its meant to do? (just not be adjustable)

Not one to thread-jack.... but

If a truss rod is broken' date=' like the head is stripped, if it is straight as is would it still do what its meant to do? (just not be adjustable)[/quote']

A temporary thread-jack is OK on this topic, due to the prohibitive cost of the

tools to repair, a luthier would be a good direction to go. BUT, here's the StewMac

link with the tools and HOW the repair is done:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html

Regarding a String Height guage:

I have 4 or 5 from Harbor Freight, was 99 cents, now $1.99. Great

for setting action, pup height... Measures in 64ths and 32nds...

93684.gif

Link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93684

My method is pressing the 1st and last fret and check in the middle. I'll adjust till dead straight on both E-strings, but I'll tolerate relief on the low E enough to slip a piece of paper or thin businesscard underneath. I actually enjoy adjusting the neck. I find it to have meditational qualities alltho it only takes a few minutes.

Guest icantbuyafender
My method is pressing the 1st and last fret and check in the middle. I'll adjust till dead straight on both E-strings' date=' but I'll tolerate relief on the low E enough to slip a piece of paper or thin businesscard underneath. I actually enjoy adjusting the neck. I find it to have meditational qualities alltho it only takes a few minutes.

[/quote']

You like yours to be straight flat ?

hmm, I guess Im not the only one who does that.

but im stil wondering... if i were to utilize a guitar neck that had broke truss rod in order to fix up an old bastard child guitar of mine, would it matter if it was not adjustable?

cause its still intact inside the neck...

but im stil wondering... if i were to utilize a guitar neck that had broke truss rod in order to fix up an old bastard child guitar of mine' date=' would it matter if it was not adjustable?

[/quote']

Hmm..I'd say succes would entirely depend on the rigidity of the neck. You might get lucky...or not.

Archived