Gibson Brands Forums

About LP custom weight

StayIn

I believe the weight variances may be tighter than 4 lbs. Some sites list an average weight, some a shipping weight (with the added weight of cartons, foam, documentation, etc.). What would cause a variance in actual weights between Guitar A and Guitar B would be wood density (heavier wood), hardware (bigsby?). The differences are probably a lot closer to 1 to 1-1/2 lbs.

Who ever has the guitar should weigh themself, then re-weigh holding the guitar (in the case). Subtract, and the difference is the weight.

Sheila

NOTE: Keep in mind, airlines round weight UP!

The weight of the guitar depends on the density of the wood used in that particular guitar which does vary considerabley, even with the Gibson models. I'm reading the The Modern Era of the Les Paul Legacy by Robb Lawrence, and he states that the '52 to '59 LPs weighed in at between 7.5 - 9.5 lbs, but went up to between 9 - 11 lbs in 1969 due to the influx of denser materials.

Asian Epi LPs are made with various "Mahogany type" woods which can also var considerably, so yes, each guitar will have a different weight based on whatever wood was available to that factory, in that run, and for that specific unit.

Just figure 11 lbs + case weight and you'll be fine.

Hey guys!

Does anyone knows how much weights Epi LP Custom? Its all about travelling on plane and paying no overweight taxes [biggrin]

Thanks a lot!

Thought this was an Epi LP custom:

27_01.jpg

Very light indeed.

But to be fair' date=' this is a Les Paul Custom (SG) too:

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/EpiLPCustomSG.jpg[/img]

Yes, that's a better picture Brian. Deflepfan - On Brian's pic you can see the 'Les Paul Custom' inscriptions between the neck pickup and neck; and on the truss rod cover.

The SG was called a Les Paul before it became known as the SG (solid guitar).

Epi's G400 custom is a reproduction of those early new shape 'Les Pauls'.

Alan

Deflepfan - On Brian's pic you can see the 'Les Paul Custom' inscriptions between the neck pickup and neck; and on the truss rod cover.

The SG was called a Les Paul before it became known as the SG (solid guitar).

Epi's G400 custom is a reproduction of those early new shape 'Les Pauls'.

Alan

I'm more than aware of that. Les hated it and wanted his name off of it so it went to the SG. When one speaks about an LP, 99.99999999% they mean the single cut, unless they're taking about the pre-SG LP double cuts. Why Gibson/Epi has his name back on it I don't know though.

Sheila

I believe the weight variances may be tighter than 4 lbs. Some sites list an average weight' date=' some a shipping weight (with the added weight of cartons, foam, documentation, etc.). What would cause a variance in actual weights between Guitar A and Guitar B would be wood density (heavier wood), hardware (bigsby?). The differences are [b']probably a lot closer to 1 to 1-1/2 lbs.[/b]

Right you are. The wood density will vary and depending on the mahogany used it can vary as much as that.

That being said, I weighed my Epi Custom LP with an "accurate" dial type fish scale and it weighed in at 10lbs.

The LP (Rockcase) tweed case for it weighed in at approx 9.5lbs.

So together they weighed almost 20lbs..so at least the scale is consistent.

If one is using a carton to protect the LP case from airline damage then, one should probably add another

2-3lbs for that as well.

NOTE: Keep in mind, airlines round weight UP!

Yes, and their scales are probably programmed to round off to the next lb or two..even if it's only an oz over the

lb limit as fuel is getting more and more expensive.

So you probably can't go wrong in quoting 25lbs with a shipping carton..and 22lb with the guitar shipped on an

airline in just the case alone...which is a dangerous thing to ship in baggage..

because of damage to the case and latches and maybe even the guitar...

especially, if the case gets heaved onto a baggage cart...broken headstocks can occur!

I'm more than aware of that. Les hated it and wanted his name off of it so it went to the SG. When one speaks about an LP' date=' 99.99999999% they mean the single cut, unless they're taking about the pre-SG LP double cuts. [b']Why Gibson/Epi has his name back on it I don't know though. [/b]

Sheila

Umm..probably because he's dead and can't argue with them about it? :-k

I wouldn't be surprised if they pay some kind of royalty to his estate for that.

I remember that during the Memphis factory tour, the tour guide stopped by

Lester's picture in the hall and mentioned that he still gets a yearly stipend

from Gibson for use of his name.

Guest icantbuyafender

I love my chubby LP's

The heftier the better, to me anyway. Its a les paul, its gotta be heavy. :]

SG's are in a league of their own, a Junior league if categorized by weight. :-k

Archived