Gibson Brands Forums

Routing a cavity.

duane v

Do you have a dremel and router attachment? They are light weight, maneuverable, and affordable. I wouldn't do body routes all day long with just a dremel, but for the occasional one, it'll do great. Its what I use here in the shop BTW.

StewMacs router base is worlds better than dremels. There is another one that is slightly cheaper that is good as well, but I can't recall who makes it.

And a template goes without saying.

I used a dremel to widen the pickup cavities on my Epi LP just a little to gain clearance for the ends of the SD pearly gates pickups I installed, but routing a whammy bar would be significant. It could be a nice mod, but I'd practice extensively on some scrap 2x lumber before attacking the Epi. I'd want to make sure I had it right!

thanx fellas

I ordered the single coil template from stewmac and I down loaded the kahler tremolo route template. I'm pretty sure the Gibby MM is made of mahogany, so it shouldn't be too tough to dremel out.

will have images when completed[cool]

duane, i got the templates from stewmac. they are great, but u still need to be careful as u get to the edges of the template.

I have a dremel style tool and a beefy ryobi one. The dremel will be great to get started, and i would go with a stronger router for getting the meat of the wood out of the body.

from my first attempt on my recent project. I felt the dremel was good, but i had an issue with depth and stabaility of the bit as i went deeper into body. had to get a stronger and bigger router and bits to do the job which made it alot easier and quicker.

I got the ryobi from homedepot and it was on sale for under $50. Have fun!!!!

I'll try to be as careful as possible. The one saving grace is both routes will be covered by the trem and the massive face guard on the joan jett MM[biggrin]

I'm having the face guard cut for the single coil at vintagevibe, he will also be rewinding the 70's MM pup for me as well.

I'll try to be as careful as possible. The one saving grace is both routes will be covered by the trem and the massive face guard on the joan jett MM[biggrin]

Whatever route you decide on ([biggrin] ) don't skimp on the router bits...you'll thank me later.

Archived