Gibson Brands Forums

56 Goldtop

Cicho

I found out that the local shop can order a 56 Goldtop.

So before buying it i looked up on the internet and found a lot of mixxed feelings about it. About the P90, how good are they, I read that they are good, but when you run them through a pedal they sound back. And overall people owning a Goldtop could you tell how good is it?

Keep in mind I am a intermediant guitarist, who plays for himself, so from that point of view how good are they?

I had a dual P90'ed guitar before, wish I'd never got rid of it that sounded outstanding, and it was made entirely of maple, so I imagine the Les Paul would at least sound as good, if not better, I voted for the 3rd one.

Well yeah those guys do know something about music...a little...anyway, also i have been thinking if the p90 on the gt56 are noise, is there a way to upgrade them to the same p90 only higher quality? wont that make the noise go away? also i heard you can shield the cavitys where the p90 are.

My '56 GT has the factory P-90s in it........I play it straight thru a Blackstar Engineering tube amp and use no pedals.

Clean, lightly overdriven, or crunched out it gives a raw, vintage tone thats just hard to get with humbucker p'ups.

I've discovered (accidently) that such a simple thing as installing a high grade 3-way switch, actually improves the tone.

Also discovered that when angled the slightest bit toward the floor, the 60hz "hum" disappears.

I have several guitars with humbuckers, i'm leaving this one "as is" due to the unique sound it produces.

Yeah i made up my mind. I am gona get it. Cant wait, need to wait around a month to get it, then ill mount the bigsby b7 to it also, which is lying around somewhere in my room. How are the tuners on that guitar by the way? would you recomment changing them to:

http://guitar-machine-heads.com/hp135149/Machine-Heads-ST6K.htm

If the are bad? but would have to screw the holes, make them wider, i am okay with adding 2 extra holes to mount them in the back, but what worrys me will the fit through the hole? Or that you need to widen the hole?

Archived