Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for new pickups for my Es-335 Dot

braden90

Alright, so I have the Epiphone ES-335 Dot and I hate to say the stock pickups don't provide much clarity. I play rock music and own an orange dual terror amp. I am aiming for tones similar to those of the foo fighters, a nice clear overdrive. Being a bluesy guitar, it can get pretty muddy with the stock pickups. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum [biggrin]

First things first..................we need to see pics of your guitar!

I would recommend that you take your guitar to a tech and have the wiring upgraded to high quality stuff, alot of people on here would say that's the first mod to do on an Epi and I totally agree. You'll be suprised just how much of a difference it makes to the tone of a guitar, and especially in eliminating that 'muddiness'.

There really is no point in putting an expensive set of pickups in a guitar when the electrics will just restrict and constrain the sound that they are meant to produce.

Once you've done that, then start looking at pickups, you'll have to play lots of different types to find the right sound for you, I think the Gibson Burstbucker 2 in the neck and Burstbucker 3 in the bridge is an excellent combination in my Dot but others will recommend different pickups.

Good luck in your search!

I totally agree with Fantana, get some good pots in there with quality caps and see how the sound is after that before just changing out you pups. I put a set of new Epi pups into my old Gibson melody Maker ('57 CH in neck and HOTCH in bridge) and it sounds just fine. In fact it sounds better than my G400 does, and most likely because the MM has Gibson original CTS pots and caps in it.

I've just been through an upgrade on my Dot. I did new pots (CTS) and Paper in Oil Caps (.022mfd). I adjusted the Epi pickup heights and it made a big difference. I'm keeping the Epi pups because in reality they aren't too bad!

I've modded guitars for years and gradually have learnt that one should experiment with the "stock" pups for a while before rushing off to ebay to get Seymours or Gibsons.

I think there is a lot of hype out there, possibly spread by the aftermarket pup manufacturers, that all stock pups on less expensive guitars are no good. Experiment for a while, you might be surprised.

Stewart

Right, you'll need.....................

New input jack

New pots (short for 'potentiometers', these are the volume and tone dials)

New caps (capacitors)

New toggle switch

New wiring, preferably braided.

Basically it's all of the electronics inside the guitar!

The general concensus is to use CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, Orange drop caps and braided wiring. Your guitar tech will be able to supply and fit all of these things.

Thanks for the advice. Now' date=' I'm not a guitar tech or anything like that so I'm wondering, if anyone feels like elaborating what exactly replacing the electronics entails, and what exactly are "pots."

Thanks again for the knowledge[/quote']

Just a word of caution, get a guitar tech to quote a price for the job first. Working inside a semi hollow is not eas,y so he may charge more for the work.

Thanks for the advice. Now' date=' I'm not a guitar tech or anything like that so I'm wondering, if anyone feels like elaborating what exactly replacing the electronics entails, and what exactly are "pots."

Thanks again for the knowledge[/quote']

As others have said, not the easiest upgrade in the world. Check this vid:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived