Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone classic 57 pickups

epi76

Does anyone have any opinions on replacing stock 310 p-ups with classic 57's for around $50? I'm already planning on replacing the guts with cts pots and better caps, but thought I might as well replace the p-ups while I'm at it. Any comments on these inexpensive pickups or any others is greatly appreciated.

...and the '57s ARE NOT close to the same quality as the Gibson '57 Classics. I agree with AS90' date=' get a G-400.[/quote']

You can say that again! Gibson '57 Classics are my favourite pickups ever.

Thanks for the recommendations on buying a g400, but I've already ordered the new wiring, so I'm going to hang onto this guitar for awhile. I have becomed attached to it, and if I were to totally buy a new one I'd consider buying a LP.

Only wondering if it would be considered worth while to put in the epi 57' classics, or even the stock pickups from a g400. This would only cost around $50 or so more. Thanks again for your replies...

You can say that again! Gibson '57 Classics are my favourite pickups ever.

I can agree with AS90 here. I played a Gibson CS-336 (CS = Custom Shop) at the music store the other day that

has Gibson '57 Classics and I fell in love with this guitar. I am seriously thinking [biggrin] of going back and taking the

plunge on that baby.

Only wondering if it would be considered worth while to put in the epi 57' classics' date=' or even the stock pickups from a g400. This would only cost around $50 or so more. Thanks again for your replies...[/quote']

Personally, I wouldn't buy them. I pulled the stock pickups in my G-400 and replaced them with a set of GFS Vintage 59s. I loved them, I have since sold the guitar. The pickups have 4 wires so you can split the coils if you want to, which I did. I had two G-400s and decided to get rid of one to get an Agile AL-2000.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vi59alblnicl.html

You can get them uncovered for $5 less, black, white or zebra. I have 59s in my Dot and Sherry and I love them.

Although the Gibson '57 Classics are awesome, I personally wouldn't stick that kind of money into a 310. Unless you plan on pulling them out if you ever sell the guitar.

With all this anti-stocker fluff going around, I'm gonna chime in and say that I love the tone of the classics on my Explorer. Only problem is I need a tidbit more drive to get my amp to that sweet spot on the first overdrive channel, so I'm considering changing in the GFS Loudmouths from my strat. They don't sound as nice clean though.. Might have to put the EMGs in it yet >.>

Thanks again for all of your input. After lots or deliberation, I've decided to order gfs "loudmouth" humbuckers to put into my sg, with a coil splitting pot. I'll try to post some pics and results later on. Cheers!

Archived