Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "semi-rigid" case for the IB'64 Texan?

dhanners623

Anyone know if Epiphone offers one of their "semi-rigid" (tougher than a gigbag, but not a hardshell case) cases for the IB'64 Texan? If so, do you know a model number or name so I can order it from my local Epiphone dealer?

I spent a good part of the day hitting the music stores in my area looking for one, to no avail. With that long scale and long headstock, a lot of the semi-rigid (Gator is an example) cases were too short. And I want a case that I can sling over my shoulder. (And I don't like gigbags.)

Anyone know if A) Epiphone offers one and [biggrin] what they call it?

Not that one' date=' but the Masterbilt AJ case should work - same body style, same scale... it's just a matter of whether the long Epiphone headstock will fit instead of the short Masterbilt headstock.[/quote']

That is the the one. An AJ is a dreadnaught shape (a slope-shouldered dreadnaught). The Texan will fit. This is the same case the McCartney Texan came with. It's a good case. It's also available from Musician's Friend.

The EF Masterbilt case is the one the Texan will not fit in.

Red 333

Oh' date=' wait. Several of the customer comments for the EMBADCS case say their AJ guitars fit in it. So if the Texan fits then that's what I'll order....

Hey, it's Saturday morning, so you'll have to excuse me for being dense.[/quote']

Order the dreadnaught case, not the EF case.

Red 333

Just got off the phone with the Sweetwater folks. Ordered the dread case.

Thanks for all the help, gang. I appreciate it.

I've got similar-style lightweight cases for a couple of my other guitars, and I really do like them. They come in particularly handy when going to festivals and whatnot. You learn pretty quick at your first bluegrass festival that a hardshell case gets very heavy very quickly.

Just got off the phone with the Sweetwater folks. Ordered the dread case.

Thanks for all the help' date=' gang. I appreciate it.

I've got similar-style lightweight cases for a couple of my other guitars, and I really do like them. They come in particularly handy when going to festivals and whatnot. You learn pretty quick at your first bluegrass festival that a hardshell case gets very heavy very quickly.

------"You learn pretty quick at your first bluegrass festival that a hardshell case gets very heavy very quickly."

thats the truth for sure-been doing the Philadelphia Folk Festival for years! and with all those hills and mud, no body wants to lug a chunk of log one armed for days on end-a good old padded gig bag works fine for what i bring (my washburn D100dl) its an all lam/mahogony body so its my "fest gutiar" that can beat the heat and moisture. My Epi stays home or used for local stuff so it doesnt have to brave the weather that often. Dont want any cracks on that cherry top of my beautiful Hbird, i do the same with my Solver Creek (all solid) which i keep in a hard case to prevent damage and weather inconsistances [biggrin

The case arrived today. It is pretty nice, but the guitar fits AWFULLY tight in there. In fact, at first, I thought the case was too small. But I was able to skooch it in there and was able to zip the thing closed. There's no headroom at all, though; the headstock is mushed into the foam.

All this makes me wonder -- Of you guys who have the case, does the foam "adjust" with age and the guitar fit more easily? I want it to be a tight fit, but this almost goes beyond tight.

• 3 weeks later...

As I have two Masterbilts, I just tried the EMBADCS on my newly-arrived IB'64 Texan. I am incredibly unhappy with the fit. It is a very tight fit indeed and it was a huge struggle to zip the case closed. The way the headstock is protruding onto the foam makes me nervous, quite frankly, as it seems like a headstock crack waiting to happen. Surely Epiphone offers some better option than this.

I will attest it is a tight fit, but after having my case a few weeks -- during which time I took it on the road for a series of shows -- I'll report that the case worked just fine. The foam "loosens" up after awhile and the guitar goes in (and comes out) much easier than it did. It is still a very snug fit, but it isn't like packing 10 pounds of taters into a 5-pound bag.

I've thought about the headstock issue some -- I had the same concerns -- but I came to the conclusion I wouldn't worry about it. The guitar isn't going anywhere, so it isn't like an impact is going to send the headstock slamming into the foam at the end of the case. The important thing is that the neck is cradled at two points, so that will reduce much of the whiplash the neck might experience if there is some sort of impact.

I will admit the case is the snuggest fit of any guitar/case combo I've ever owned, and there is absolutely no play. Which, all in all, isn't an entirely bad thing.

My other big beef with the case was the combination lock. Whoever assembled the case misaligned the latch and the lock, so it was nearly impossible to close properly. I finally wound up removing the screws that held the latch in place and taking the latch off entirely -- but leaving on the lock part, since it is inset into the case and would leave a hole if removed. I've never really used a case lock anyway.

frenchie, great idea! I may try that later...:-)

Seriously, I just got off the phone with Epiphone Customer Service and their case that is supposed to fit the Texan is the EDREAD like this one here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EDREAD/

Their recommended option for a soft-sided case is the Epiphone Western Gig Bag which appears to be the flimsiest type of bag with a price tag to match (about $19). I think I'm going to try the EDREAD.

frenchie' date=' great idea! I may try that later...:-)

Seriously, I just got off the phone with Epiphone Customer Service and their case that is supposed to fit the Texan is the EDREAD like this one here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EDREAD/

Their recommended option for a soft-sided case is the Epiphone Western Gig Bag which appears to be the flimsiest type of bag with a price tag to match (about $19). I think I'm going to try the EDREAD.[/quote']

That'd be the one if you want a hardshell case. I was looking for the semi-rigid though. Decent protection and easier to carry. Just sling it over the shoulder.

That'd be the one if you want a hardshell case. I was looking for the semi-rigid though. Decent protection and easier to carry. Just sling it over the shoulder.

Sling over the shoulder is a good thing. As I have 2 EBADCS cases around (albeit with Masterbilts in them), I'll get the EDREAD and use one of the EBADCS cases if needed.

Man, I've been playing the Texan a bit today and what a great guitar!

Archived