Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton help.

Dluap123

I am hoping that someone can help me figure out a mystery about my new Sheraton. The serial number says that it is a Korean model built in 1996. It has mini humbuckers but it is not a JLH. I know that there were some JLH's that were sold as elites (not elitist) but I didn't think that any of those were built in Korea. Any thoughts?

Believe it or not, this is actually the first time I have ever posted on a board so please forgive me if there is an etiquette to this that I have missed.

Welcome to the forum - strange for me to say as I haven't been here that long myself ( a few months). As I was looking into the JLH Sheraton story, there did appear to be a run of Sheratons made in Korea, from what I can tell they were all black, if your's isn't it would be the first 've heard of. But these also had full size humbuckers, and a "Boogieman" inlay at the 12th fret I think. Later the JLH's were made in Japan, Terada plant, and finished with USA pickups/electronics in Nashville. Finally after his passing, the last were released as "USA Reissue", JLH's without his endorsement info. Again, all I've seen of the Korean jobs were black full humbucker. There's one for sale at Cowtown Guitars for $1900, though they put it on ebay for $1300 with no takers. If you can put pics up folks might be better able to help. Post a pic to an image hosting site like imageshack, copy the direct link url and paste it into your post on this forum, select it and click the sun and mountain icon above and it will pop in as an image.

Here's Cowtown's -

jlhkorean.jpg

Photos, please? Where did you get your information? Guitar Dater? (It's notoriously inaccurate, at times.)

Does your serial number have a letter, preceeding the number itself?

There was an over-run, of AIUSA Sheratons, that had JL Hooker serial numbers,

but not the TRC or Pickguard, with his signature. There were 2 versions, Sheraton I,

with frequensator tailpiece, and Sheraton II, with Stop Bar tailpiece. Both, came in

"Natural," and "Vintage Sunburst." They also had "Nitro" finishes, and a bit different

headstock shape...that was identical, to the Gibson USA Epiphone Sheratons of the 60's,

with a 2-hole TRC. The "Elite/Elitist" have more the current hour-glass epiphone headstock,

with a 3-hole TRC. ALL had "mini-humbuckers!" Korean versions, have full sized humbuckers,

to my knowledge, as well as the "clipped corner" headstocks, and a bit larger "horns" in the upper

bout. They also have 5 piece laminated (length wise) necks. Elitist and AISUA, have one-piece

Mahogany necks.

Someone else here, may know more?

This is my AISUA Sheraton II, so you'll have some frame of reference.

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

*I did change the tuner "buttons" to Grover Imperials...for aesthetic reasons. It came with

the usual Butter Bean shaped tuning buttons. The "Elitist" versions, come with the "imperial"

buttons, "stock!" But, you can clearly see, the difference in headstock shape, and the 2-hole

TRC. Also, note the smaller upper bout "horns," that is typical of both, the "Elitist" and AIUSA

versions, as well as the originals "Kalamazoo" USA '60's models. Also...the "stock," of the head

stock inlay, does not go into/under the TRC, on the USA, AIUSA, or "Elitist" Sheratons.

Cheers,

CB

They are beautiful Sheratons.....no doubt would would really like a nice close up of that pickguard CB also is that Epiphone € on the pickguard painted or embossed...Hope yours is one of those Dluap123 we can not have enough of those on the forum....a big welcome to you...

thanks so much for your answers.

the serial number is all numbers, no letter at all. charlie, since you said guitar dater was notoriously inaccurate, i did a bit more looking and found that no letter often means Japanese made which leads me to believe that this is one of the JLH's made after he died.

take a look and tell me what you think.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

That is a stunner sell it to me......Arf ARf ARf ARF....that looks like an original sheraton 1 with that frequensator.....

It is interesting all the different recipes for a Sheraton and what little difference there is in this particular recipe and say a Riviera for example this 2007 Unsung version...

riviera34.jpg

different headstock, neck and neck inlay....but the main body of the guitar very similar.

being a Hooker fan I think that Sheraton you have there is far more "authentic" than any of these full size humbucker JLH commemorative guitars.....I would like to own a guitar like that, but chances of finding one here in Sweden are very slim....Tyvarr (swedish for unfortunately). So the closest I can get to that recipe is a Riviera...

the serial number is all numbers' date=' no letter at all. charlie, since you said guitar dater was notoriously inaccurate, i did a bit more looking and found that no letter often means Japanese made which leads me to believe that this is one of the JLH's made after he died.

[/quote']

Looks like a post JLH Sheraton I. Actually, the guitar itself was made in Japan at the Terada factory and then shipped to the USA where they were finished and assembled. In fact, the official designation is Assembled in the USA, hence no factory code.

I had one that was made in 2006, the serial # was 96050936.

Looks like a post JLH Sheraton I. Actually' date=' the guitar itself was made in Japan at the Terada factory and then shipped to the USA where they were finished and assembled. In fact, the official designation is [i']Assembled in the USA[/i], hence no factory code.

I had one that was made in 2006, the serial # was 96050936.

Where would you find one like that Jerry and what would you reckon is the book price for one of those...?

thanks so much for your answers.

the serial number is all numbers' date=' no letter at all. charlie, since you said guitar dater was notoriously inaccurate, i did a bit more looking and found that no letter often means Japanese made which leads me to believe that this is one of the JLH's made after he died.

[img']http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr18/lucindapanic/IMG_0362.jpg[/img]

IMG_0363.jpg

Yeah, that's a AIUSA Sheraton I. One of the over-runs, of the JLH versions, that were AIUSA,

but without the JLH TRC or Pickguard! It has all the other attributes, though. Blue lable, with

white overlay, correct headstock, horn shapes, frequensator tailpiece, 2-screw TRC, headstock

inlay, that stops well shy of the top of the TRC, and...of course, Mini-humbuckers.

They were, in fact, made in Japan...but assembled and finished over here, with American pickups,

and hardware. Terada factory, as was mentioned, by Jerrymac. There's even some dispute, as

to whether they were painted (Nitro) here, or in Japan. No one seems to really know, or...they

"ain't talkin'!" (Smile)

You didn' happen to buy that, about 3-4 months ago, off E-bay, from some fellow in Glendale, Ca.?

;>)

CB

Jerry , our serial numbers are very similar,

mine is 96050886.

Thank you all so much for your help. glad you all like it. i picked it up to hold me over until i find my holy grail, which would be a '59 natural Sheraton. it definitely looks the part. i switched the pick-ups to antiquities, which are fantastic, by the way.

Jerry ' date=' our serial numbers are very similar,

mine is 96050886.

Thank you all so much for your help. glad you all like it. i picked it up to hold me over until i find my holy grail, which would be a '59 natural Sheraton. it definitely looks the part. i switched the pick-ups to antiquities, which are fantastic, by the way.

[/quote']

Gibby or SD antiquities..?

They are beautiful Sheratons.....no doubt would would really like a nice close up of that pickguard CB also is that Epiphone € on the pickguard painted or embossed...Hope yours is one of those Dluap123 we can not have enough of those on the forum....a big welcome to you...

Hi Joe....the Epi "E" is a chrome foil letter. Not imbossed, just stuck on.

The earlier (Kalamazoo) original's had those, as well.

CB

as a matter of fact' date=' i did charlie. you know him?

[/quote']

No, I don't think so, anyway. I did used to live in Glendale, about

4 years ago. But, it's a pretty good sized City, so I doubt I knew him.

BUT...I was SERIOUSLY contemplating buying that, at the time.

You got a GREAT price, on it....if you did the Buy It Now?! I wanted

one, in "Natural" with the frequensator, but just couldn't make myself

spend the money, somehow. Too many other "Priorities," right now.

Glad you got it, and IF you ever decide to sell it, reasonably, I'd be interested.

But, If I were you, I'd hang on to it, and play the Hell out of it! LOL!

CB

Hi Joe....the Epi "E" is a chrome foil letter. Not imbossed' date=' just stuck on.

The earlier (Kalamazoo) original's had those, as well.

CB

[/quote']

Very interesting......I am taking that photograph straight into photoshop and I am going to scale a template......... Where can I find out how to put binding a plain black pickguard..??

Also going to find some adhesive backed chrome and take the template to it with a craft knife...

I fancy one of those pickguards on my E-by-G.....

If I can't find one of those Terada beauties here in Sweden then at least I can have a replica pickguard on my Sherri....

Archived