Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Bridge Upgrade

Thermos

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the bridge in my 2007 Dot. I can't set the intonation correctly on the G with the original bridge so I'm not looking for a straight replacement to a bridge of the same make. I've searched around these forums and the web and I found this and this. I found what I think I'm looking for here, here, or here. Here are my questions:

1. Are Gotoh Tune-o-matic bridge a good upgrade and which one would fit my Dot?

2. Is there a difference in quality between nickel and chrome or is it just looks?

3. Should I buy an accompanying tailpiece? Does an upgraded tailpiece make a difference?

4. Do I need to replace the posts along with the bridge and if so, do I need the studs or standard posts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for those answers. For the tailpiece, check out this out. Why are the bridge and tailpiece sets so much more expensive? Where would you buy a quality bridge and tailpiece set and how much can I expect to spend? There's a bridge and tailpiece here, but the tailpiece is chrome as is the one on the other site. Where would you find an aluminum one? Thanks again!

I use a wound "G" on all my hollow or semi hollow electrics. Regardless of bridge type, they just seem to intonate better. I must admit, I have to stuggle validating putting wound "G" strings on Fender Strat or Tele. Just seems un-natural too me.

Musikron, can I ask for one more bit of advice - I planned to upgrade the bridge and tailpiece on my Wilshire reissue with gotoh replacements, the crap Epi stock posts rattle loosely in the bushings (among other problems). To replace the threaded bushings in the guitar body, can one simply pry them out carefully with pliers, or is there a trick to getting them out cleanly? Many thanks for any advice - from anyone!

To replace the threaded bushings in the guitar body' date=' can one simply pry them out carefully with pliers, or is there a trick to getting them out cleanly?

[/quote']

Use a short wooden dowel approx. half the length of the bushing and let it fall in the bushing. Now screw the post back in and the bushing will pry itself up.

I use a wound "G" on all my hollow or semi hollow electrics. Regardless of bridge type' date=' they just seem to intonate better. I must admit, I have to stuggle validating putting wound "G" strings on Fender Strat or Tele. Just seems un-natural too me.[/quote']

The three-saddle Tele bridge is DESIGNED for a wound G. Three pairs of strings, two pairs wound, one pair unwound. At the time of the Strat design the wound G was the norm as well, plain Gs weren't common until the 70s.

Use a short wooden dowel approx. half the length of the bushing and let it fall in the bushing. Now screw the post back in and the bushing will pry itself up.

Kind of. I have used wood before and had it split and then I had it wedged in there along with the bushing. They make bushing pullers, but I don't use one. I have a small piece of acrylic I use in the same manner as Ricochet.

Archived