Gibson Brands Forums

Bit the bullet, bought a ToneRite....

dhanners623

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your humble yet foolish correspondent just finished trying the ToneRite on a second guitar, a custom-built dreadnaught I got in late '05. I've mentioned it before; it is basically a kit-built D-18. It's a cannon, with a strong (but not overpowering) bass. A very good guitar. Records very well; in fact, I used it on nine of the 12 songs on my latest CD, and while I myself was happy with the way the record turned out and it has gotten some good reviews, I have since been informed that my music is "incredibly mediocre." I suppose it is good to be "incredible" at something.

Anyway, this guitar's sound did not need a lot of tweaking. It had really good tone and was plenty loud enough. I didn't do the full 96-hour ToneRite treatment, but rather 36 hours.

After the treatment, the notes seemed to have more definition. There was noticeably more "sparkle" to the sound. The tone is definitely improved. (At least that's what the cult leaders at ToneRite HQ tell us to say.)

One odd thing -- before, when I'd tune each string to the proper pitch and play a C chord in the first position (as we incredibly mediocre musicians are prone to do) there was a hint of something being "off." Usually the low E string. Seemed to be an intonation issue of some sort. When I tuned it to pitch after the ToneRite treatment and tried a C chord, it sounded ok. I'm sure there's something else at work, as the ToneRite is not a cure-all for every ill the guitar has. It just seemed notable to me, though. Then again, when you're mediocre, virtually anything can seem "notable." We mediocre folks are entertained just watching paint dry or bread getting toasted. ("It pops up all by itself?!?")

That said, as far as your foolish and incredibly mediocre correspondent is concerned, the ToneRite is 2-for-2 on my guitars. One more guitar to try it on.

Signed,

A Foolish and Incredibly Mediocre Musician

I'm wondering if there is a hierarchy of mediocrity, such as:

1) Mediocre;

2) Moderately Mediocre;

3) Incredibly Mediocre

Perhaps the originator of the phrase can return and enlighten us if there is indeed a mediocrity scale. I am not holding my breath, though.

Hi I am Johnny Ashburn, a Chaplain with the DOD in the State of Georgia with the State Defense Force, National Guard and Air National Guard. ( Just an introduction).For many years I have had a deep seated resentment of the Gibson Company, one of my good friends was a master luthier making Lloyd Loar Copies of F5 mandolins until they had the great fall (they did him and them wrong, but oddly enough I love Epiphones. I chose Epiphone over Gibson for this reason and , of course the cost. I played a$3700 GIB. Les Paul today at G.C. and my Epi sounds and plays so much better than the Gibby.

Can you tell me if you have had the same or similar experiences?

Thank

CPT. J.M. Ashburn

Deputy Command Chaplain, GaSDF , TAB 8 Georgia DOD , 1ST Brigade

I played a$3700 GIB. Les Paul today at G.C. and my Epi sounds and plays so much better than the Gibby.

According to a statement by the " real godfather" of the Gibson Les Paul guitar...Ted McCarty"

once stated (in response on Solid Body Sonics of the Gibson LP)....a matter of opinion

on the late 50s Les Paus.

"Those old ones were fine instruments. They had more sustain than any solid body

that has been built since then".

The author of the book (The early Years of the Les Paul Legacy), in describing

the uniqueness of late 50s LPs..the ones that fetch a premium price these days,

goes on to mention..

"Natural variations occurred with denser woods which gave the instruments more

sustain, while lighter versions were very open and resonant. The actual seasoning,

or aging effect is created when the woods natural "fluids" slowly evaporate in

it's arteries, giving it an aerated effect, while at the same time lightening it and

giving it a more lively resonance. ...truly another great Gibson tone machine".

Hi I am Johnny Ashburn' date=' a Chaplain with the DOD in the State of Georgia with the State Defense Force, National Guard and Air National Guard. ( Just an introduction).For many years I have had a deep seated resentment of the Gibson Company, one of my good friends was a master luthier making Lloyd Loar Copies of F5 mandolins until they had the great fall (they did him and them wrong, but oddly enough I love Epiphones. I chose Epiphone over Gibson for this reason and , of course the cost. I played a$3700 GIB. Les Paul today at G.C. and my Epi sounds and plays so much better than the Gibby.

Thank

CPT. J.M. Ashburn

Deputy Command Chaplain, GaSDF , TAB 8 Georgia DOD , 1ST Brigade[/quote']

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the Epi Forum.

However, as a matter of courtesy, and please I mean no offense by this, but its not a good idea to "Hi-Jack" someone's thread, meaning starting a new topic inside the Original Posted topic.

Again..... WELCOME !!! [cool] But please start a new thread and in the appropriate section(s) of the forum.

Looking forward to reading, sharing with you and your experience, questions and answers on these guitars we love.

Archived