Gibson Brands Forums

Bit the bullet, bought a ToneRite....

dhanners623

...Can spend his hard-earned union paycheck any way he wants to. I think I've made that point a couple of times. I'm not sure I asked for opinions on how I should spend my money.

And in case I wasn't clear before, the Texan I've used the ToneRite on isn't a vintage one. It's a new "Inspired by 1964" Texan.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why are you taking this personally?

Well, when someone calls me a "fool," I tend to take it personally. I guess I'm just funny that way....

If you've used the ToneRite and made your own judgment about whether it works or not, I'm more than willing to listen to your opinion. Short of that, I'm just not sure what informed insight you bring to the discussion with a comment like "A fool and his money...."

What does that comment add to anyone's understanding or knowledge of the issue? It's just a personal attack.

ahrukidding

I'm following this topic with interest.

Can you offer any reason why dhanners is a fool because for the moment your argumentation is a little bit lacking in logic and material proof.

Let's get back to the subject matter and leave the personal jousting out of this.

According to AMS..the "1964 Inspired Texan" has a Sonic/Nanoflex pickup.

Not quite the same then as a 1964 Kalamazoo built Epiphone Texan by Gibson.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EETX-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CK3cuMmovaECFYd-5QodLU3KAg

The review that somebody (beginner) wrote mentions that it sounds a "bit thinner" than

his well aged J-45..but again this is all subjective commentary..there is no

clips to show the difference in tone between a near vintage (30yrs?) J-45,

and this model using (hopefully) the same strings and guage.

So far, this seems to be mostly subjective, based on the users ear.

A fellow told me on another discussion board that he had decided to keep his impressions of his use of the ToneRite to himself because the one time he did express them (and he said the device improved his guitar's tone and volume) all kinds of people who had never used the device jumped on his case and told him he was just imagining things. Like we don't know the sound of our own guitars. Like we're some members of a ToneRite cult and have been blinded to reason. Like we can't trust our own ears.

I used the ToneRite and offered my honest opinion. And for that, I get called a "fool" and I'm told that since I haven't offered side-by-side clips of the guitars, then obviously I'm lying because it is all "mostly subjective."

I can see why that other guy took the approach he did and kept his results to himself. At the end of the day, I really don't have to prove anything to anybody else. I know my guitar sounds better, because it does. Friends who have heard the guitar knows it sounds better, because it does.

Like I said before, when you've used the device and can offer some informed insight into it, I'm all ears. But to not use it and then criticize someone who does, well, I just don't see where that kind of thing comes from.

Sometimes I'm concerned that the many neophytes who frequent guitar forums will blindly buy into the expensive and questionable aftermarket mojo stuff that is offered in guitar magazines, etc., especially if it is being touted by an experienced forum member. Many of these kids barely know how to even play the guitar, and they're being sold on boutique capacitors, wiring, bridges, etc.. So I am on the other side of the equation, saying "Hey, think about it!".

I don't have to try Extenze to know it won't make my member bigger. And I am especially leery of claims made by incredibly mediocre musicians.

Sometimes I'm concerned that the many neophytes who frequent guitar forums will blindly buy into the expensive and questionable aftermarket mojo stuff that is offered in guitar magazines' date=' etc., especially if it is being touted by an experienced forum member. Many of these kids barely know how to even [i']play[/i] the guitar, and they're being sold on boutique capacitors, wiring, bridges, etc.. So I am on the other side of the equation, saying "Hey, think about it!".

I don't have to try Extenze to know it won't make my member bigger. And I am especially leery of claims made by incredibly mediocre musicians.

I am impressed by your ability to pack so many personal insults into such a brief post.

Perhaps you can provide us some links to your own music so we can listen and learn. I'm sure it will give those of us who are mediocre musicians something to aspire to.

OK, I thought I might have been a little harsh. So then I thought, "maybe this guy has a really excellent ear and can, in fact, hear the ToneRite difference". When I noticed your links, I figured I'd listen to your stuff to get a better idea about the source of the ToneRite opinion. After listening, I asked myself why would I give any serious creedence regarding guitar tone to someone who can't sing in key.

Edit: I also wonder about folks whose cages rattle so easily when their ideas are challenged. Perhaps they're not as convinced as they say they are.

RUKIDDING??

You have not been here very long and so far about 90% of your posts have been quite insulting and confrontational.

I also do not buy in to the tonerite, but calling members of our community names and insulting their music is NOT a way to be welcome here and I for one won't tolerate it from someone who has added NOTHING POSITIVE to our community. I may think its snakeoil, but I don't call people fools for it or insult their music.

Why don't you take this opportunity to remove yourself from these boards and go back to harassing kids on facebook? You are quickly wearing out your welcome.

OK' date=' I thought I might have been a little harsh. So then I thought, "maybe this guy has a really excellent ear and can, in fact, hear the ToneRite difference". When I noticed your links, I figured I'd listen to your stuff to get a better idea about the source of the ToneRite opinion. After listening, I asked myself why would I give any serious creedence regarding guitar tone to someone who can't sing in key.[/quote']

And how is the weather in Detroit?

RUKIDDING??

You have not been here very long and so far about 90% of your posts have been quite insulting and confrontational.

I may be wrong, but I think he's been a frequent member of our forum under various names. If the yoohoo ahryoo is who I think he is, it's a pity, because he has an incredible wealth of info to offer, if he'd just stick to his meds. Off them, he is an ahrse.

Good on you, Musikron, for calling him out for disrespecting dhanners.

By the way, I BOUGHT his CD on Amazon, and I like it. I guess that must make me tone deaf, too.

And don't bother with the pithy banter, ahryoo; you were going to say, "a fool and his money..."

Well save it, I'm not one of the inarticulate pre-adolescents you take such delight in baiting. I've left you a wide berth in the past, out of respect for your knowlege, and the positive things you do when you do make the effort to be civil. But your act is tired, and it's time to take it somewhere else.

Red 333

RUKIDDING??

I also do not buy in to the tonerite' date=' but calling members of our community names and insulting their music is NOT a way to be welcome here and I for one won't tolerate it from someone who has added NOTHING POSITIVE to our community. I may think its snakeoil, but I don't call people fools for it or insult their music.

Why don't you take this opportunity to remove yourself from these boards and go back to harassing kids on facebook? You are quickly wearing out your welcome.[/quote']

He should stay around for the humor he provides. Plus, we're all still waiting for the links to his music so we can learn from a master.

Some reviewers actually liked my voice. Like here: http://www.davidhanners.com/press.html (The reviewer, by the way, was a long-time critic for a metropolitan paper, and he also is the author of The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting, an oral history of the band. I'd be ready to posit he knows a thing or two about music.)

At least the singing is honest, although I'm not quite sure what my voice has to do with the ToneRite.

So RED333, who is it? I guess I could get one of my computer geek friends over, hunt down his IP and find out that way, but I don't care enough to go to the trouble.

And who the hell is your avatar red? Is that Hanks daughter?

I read ahrukidding's comment last night, before anyone responded. I thought it was flippant, coming from someone who wanted 15 seconds of fame. So he got it. Seems 15 more seconds was gained with the vulgar and pointless comment. Responding seems to be enabling him - he lives for it.

Regarding the original subject matter, new technology application, I appreciate dhanner23 for sharing his experience and observations. He seems to have the credibility to offer a valid assessment of the technology as applied to his guitar. Further, if you research the product's website, under opinions from professional classical musicians (see violin and cello - whose performance I was once in good fortunate to attend), you will read their assessment concurs with dhanner23's. I have personally invested both small and large sums in technologies, some of which were useless, and the others that are now outdated. But this product seems to deliver what it intends to, and provides a continuous return for a somewhat reasonable price. "Thank You" dhanners23.

Regards,

There is another similar product (starts with "E") that made all sorts of claims in this regard and spent probably hundreds of thousands on TV/Internet advertising and in the end they had to stand charges of

fraud as there were no medical proof that this product actually did anything.

What is still lacking on the ToneRite product is scientific evidence that it does what

it claims it does. Is there a patent applied for on this product and if so is it pending

or granted? Why doesn't the company take two exact sounding guitars

(like a Martin D-18 or a Gibson j-45) and offer sound clips of the guitar before treatment

and after treatment and let the listener form his own opinion?

So RED333' date=' who is it? I guess I could get one of my computer geek friends over, hunt down his IP and find out that way, but I don't care enough to go to the trouble.

And who the hell is your avatar red? Is that Hanks daughter?[/quote']

Aimee Mann in the avatar. Great looking J45, no?

I don't think I should name who I'm thinking of.

Like I said, if it is him, it's a real shame, because when he was not initiating a flame war for his own amusement (some of which amused me, too, I will admit), he added a lot to the forum. He knows more about the Kalamazo and Japanese-era Epiphones than just about anybody. I LOVE it when that guy posts, and genuinely liked exchanging posts with him.

But that same person also had a dark side. Besides toying with the kiddies (as he liked to call them), he would pick fights with guys like jerrymac and Frenchie. That guy--meh.

Even if it's not the same guy, they're all same, if you know what I mean.

Red 333

I may be wrong' date=' but I think he's been a frequent member of our forum under various names. If the yoohoo ahryoo is who I think he is, it's a pity, because he has an incredible wealth of info to offer, if he'd just stick to his meds. Off them, he is an ahrse.

Good on you, Musikron, for calling him out for disrespecting dhanners.

By the way, I BOUGHT his CD on Amazon, and I like it. I guess that must make me tone deaf, too.

And don't bother with the pithy banter, ahryoo; you were going to say, "a fool and his money..."

Well save it, I'm not one of the inarticulate pre-adolescents you take such delight in baiting. I've left you a wide berth in the past, out of respect for your knowledge, and the positive things you do when you do make the effort to be civil. But your act is tired, and it's time to take it somewhere else.

Red 333[/quote']

Yo Red

Let's make sure we continue to keep actual names of ex-members that have been banned out of your post. Certainly your post can describe a few ex-members, but let's just move-on. This place has come a long way over the last year in terms of civility, in how most of the members interact with each other.

[biggrin]

Yo Red

Let's make sure we continue to keep actual names of ex-members that have been banned out of your post. Certainly your post can describe a few ex-members' date=' but let's just move-on. This place has come a long way over the last year in terms of civility, in how most of the members interact with each other.

[biggrin

Yup, and like my old high school debating teacher used to say....uh..what did he say?..

it's been like a 50 odd years..oh yes..."attack the subject matter

and not the presenter" .

We seem to be getting a lot of mileage from this thread, pros and cons. Now that there

seems to be a patent associated with this device, there may be something to it. [biggrin]

Archived