Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat with Dirty Fingers

frostbyte

G'day all,

Well, I'm new to the forums and I've just ordered myself a wildkat which hopefully will be delivered in about two weeks. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if the dirty fingers pickups will fit into wildkat? Would it be best to slot two of them? Or just one, and if one which position?

Also, I'm a complete noob on these things, I've only ever played acoustics and stock and my old stock standard ibanez.

Thanks in advance.

Alas, no, Wildkats have Dogear P-90 pickups, whereas the Dirty Fingers are full humbucker-sized. P90s are longer and narrower, thus the Dirty Fingers will not fit.

Without modifying the guitar body, you can only swap in other Dogear P-90s (or P-90-size pickups, such as Lace's offerings) or a mini-humbucker in a suitable Dogear-style mounting ring.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your Wildkat.

1. The Wildkat has P90 pickups, which are longer and thinner than any humbucker type pickups, like dirty fingers, so the holes will be the wrong size and shape. You'd have to do some carpentry, and fabricate some sort of surround, which IMHO wouldn't look good.

2. Dirty fingers in a semi-hollow? You're going to play metal on it?

To be honest, my favorite style is punk, I love Rancid, DK's, NoFX etc... but i still love listening to other types of music, especially some of the older blues styles. What i really want to do is have a guitar thats got my own sound. I'm not the best player, but I don't care about that [cool]

I understand what you say about the humbucker style's, I think I'll just keep them as is for a while untill I do some more research.

Cheers for the help.

I understand what you say about the humbucker style's' date=' I think I'll just keep them as is for a while untill I do some more research.

Cheers for the help.[/quote']

Excellent idea...and welcome to the gaggle. [cool]

I see what your trying to do, but a wildkat is not the guitar to do it on.

If you wanted to do this right, may I suggest a sheraton or dot instead. You could drop a dirty fingers( Think Tom Delonge) into either of these guitars and your feedback will be less that what you would get with the wildkat.

If you have your heart set on the wildkat, I would suggest going through the Seymour Duncan catalog to find a set of VERY hot P90 replacements.

Here is another idea: TV Jones makes a P90 replacement pickup that is just the thing that you can use for "punk" style playing. Since it sounds like your not really looking for "thrash metal" sounds from a wildkat, that this would be the sound that your looking for. The TV Jones's sound GREAT through a driven amp for that style of sound.

I'd suggest you play the guitar as is for a while before worrying about changing the pups. P-90's are very versatile, and can get a great nasty distorted sound that many punk guitarists have used to great effect.

To be honest' date=' my favorite style is punk, I love Rancid, DK's, NoFX etc... but i still love listening to other types of music, especially some of the older blues styles. What i really want to do is have a guitar thats got my own sound. I'm not the best player, but I don't care about that [blink

I understand what you say about the humbucker style's, I think I'll just keep them as is for a while untill I do some more research.

Cheers for the help.

Why not get the Epiphone Prophecy SG GX that has the Dirty Finger pickups already in it? The Wildkat is more of a

Rock-a-billy type guitar. For the music you like to play the former would be a better choice and it will grow along with

your growth in musical experience as it gives you a good quality guitar. Check out the Epiphone Musical Instrument

URL...

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=294&CollectionID=16

Why not get the Epiphone Prophecy SG GX that has the Dirty Finger pickups already in it? The Wildkat is more of a

Rock-a-billy type guitar. For the music you like to play the former would be a better choice and it will grow along with

your growth in musical experience as it gives you a good quality guitar. Check out the Epiphone Musical Instrument

URL...

http://www.epiphone.com/...=294&CollectionID=16

Paul_P

Thanks for the advice, but I admit, I am a very vain person, and I don't like how they look, and I much prefer hollowbodies.

I'd suggest you play the guitar as is for a while before worrying about changing the pups. P-90's are very versatile, and can get a great nasty distorted sound that many punk guitarists have used to great effect.

Parabar

I think thats some solid advice.

I see what your trying to do, but a wildkat is not the guitar to do it on.

If you wanted to do this right, may I suggest a sheraton or dot instead. You could drop a dirty fingers( Think Tom Delonge) into either of these guitars and your feedback will be less that what you would get with the wildkat.

If you have your heart set on the wildkat, I would suggest going through the Seymour Duncan catalog to find a set of VERY hot P90 replacements.

Here is another idea: TV Jones makes a P90 replacement pickup that is just the thing that you can use for "punk" style playing. Since it sounds like your not really looking for "thrash metal" sounds from a wildkat, that this would be the sound that your looking for. The TV Jones's sound GREAT through a driven amp for that style of sound.

Some interesting ideas, I like the idea of the TV Jones, I've got a mte here who has them in his Gretsch and that sounds fantastic.

On a side note, what do you guys think of the Ibanez AF75? I know this is the Epiphone forums, but still, people must have an opinion.

The Artcores are nice.

I'd recommend trying the stock pickups for a while first. I have an Alleykat that I put a P90 in. You can get some wicked sounds out of them.

Without some carpentry work, the dirty fingers won't fit. Save that for another project.

Keep your eyes open for an Alleykat down the road. They are already cut for a humbucker at the bridge position.

EG

Archived