Gibson Brands Forums

Which L-00 clone option is best...

Hi Guys

I do not venture in this section of the forum that much......I have a great acoustic guitar a 1959 Levin Archtop......

LevPick.jpg

The problem is I have two small kids running around and I really need a guitar I can hang on wall or leave on a stand and play and "not be worried sick" if they do something untoward with it.....

The Levin is in the case.... played..... and then back in the case and I want something more ready to hand for spontaneous noodling.....

I crave a L-00 clone......you guys will know all the options. I do not want vintage......I want new and durable, "reasonable" tone, and low price....I liked the look of this

Epiphone EL-00

1171294_800.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_l00.htm

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuHYCT449M[/YOUTUBE]

and this Loar LH-200VS

241670.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/se/the_loar_lh200vs.htm

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Might even consider selling my Levin to someone who has no kids....and is a Jazz freak........(I am also going to say something sacrilegious here...I actually enjoy playing my Zephyr unplugged more than my Levin....[blink] even though the tone is sweeter on the Levin, I love the bassy "chung" of the Zephyr....) and buy a more expensive L-00 clone around $500

so does anyone have any good advice...

Take a look at the Recording King troubadour series. The two models are the rnj 16 and the rnj 25, the 16 is spruce top with mahogany back/sides, and the 25 is solid maple back/sides . I just got the rnj25 and love it, Bobby.

Take a look at the Recording King troubadour series. The two models are the rnj 16 and the rnj 25' date=' the 16 is spruce top with mahogany back/sides, and the 25 is solid maple back/sides . I just got the rnj25 and love it, Bobby.[/quote']

Thanks Bobby that look in the price bracket were I would have to sell the Levin..

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rnj-25-l-body--RNJ25.htm

The Levin is an archtop and I have tried to justify when I can play the Zephyr and the Sheraton acoustic...having the luxury of an Acoustic Archtop when a good quality L-00 clone flattop is what I "need". I would happily sell the Levin for what I bought it for to a Jazz enthusiast to find the right L-00 clone.

Joe you have GAS. And let me tell ya something else, if you don't get it in check you will do something you may regret. Speaking from experience, when having a severe GAS attack, you develop tunnel vision, and only look forward to the next acquisition. Thats where all your excitement goes, what your getting next.

Now, this in of itself is not so bad, the problem lies in that you forget all the great places you've been and great friends you've made cause all you can think of is something you don't yet have. You have done a LOT of wheeling and dealing the last couple months, now is the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Here's my point, you may enjoy playing the Zephyr more NOW, since you just got it and all, but I seriously doubt you will continue to ignore the Levin, and even if you do, thats no reason to ditch it. DO you know I have guitars I haven't played in years? But I still love them and will NEVER sell them. They are good guitars, but right now, my tastes run a little different so I play others.

Just slow down a little, get you an 00 if you want, maybe even a 12 fret, but please, don't ditch any guitars for at least the next 9 months. Make sure its what you want to do cause it will be hard to replace after you send her away, and personally, I think the GAS is getting the better of you my friend.

Maybe you should send me some stuff for safe keeping?

[cool]

Well Joe, if your gassing that bad, (I agree with skye on this), but I have no kids (at home), and you know I'm a jazz freak, don't know what the shipping would run, but if you want to swing a deal, let me know.

And in support of what Skye suggested, lets revisit this say when the house is complete, and you and family are all settled in, and snow is on the radar.

I would certainly throw a floating mini hum on that baby.

(I know your suspecting I'll whip the Staple on it, trust me I won't. No cutting of soundboards for me.)

Now, a Bigsby? hmmmmmm

Quick Edit:

Find a beater like I did with Joey, and fix it up yourself, trust me, it beats the hell out of shopping, and the bonding is priceless. I only put $150.00 into the whole project, and you already know what it sounds like.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, if the project git is good stock to begin with, you'll learn how to wrangle the right sound out of it.

When I play bluesy stuff on Joey, with the way it rings out, there are few gits I've played that come close. It just takes a little searching and lots of hands on tender loving care.

Time you have, and certainly love for the instruments, take the next step. Just my passing thoughts.

Jeff

Joe you have GAS. And let me tell ya something else' date=' if you don't get it in check you will do something you may regret. Speaking from experience, when having a severe GAS attack, you develop tunnel vision, and only look forward to the next acquisition. Thats where all your excitement goes, what your getting next.

Now, this in of itself is not so bad, the problem lies in that you forget all the great places you've been and great friends you've made cause all you can think of is something you don't yet have. You have done a LOT of wheeling and dealing the last couple months, now is the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Here's my point, you may enjoy playing the Zephyr more NOW, since you just got it and all, but I seriously doubt you will continue to ignore the Levin, and even if you do, thats no reason to ditch it. DO you know I have guitars I haven't played in years? But I still love them and will NEVER sell them. They are good guitars, but right now, my tastes run a little different so I play others.

Just slow down a little, get you an 00 if you want, maybe even a 12 fret, but please, don't ditch any guitars for at least the next 9 months. Make sure its what you want to do cause it will be hard to replace after you send her away, and personally, I think the GAS is getting the better of you my friend.

Maybe you should send me some stuff for safe keeping?

[/quote']

I really appreciate your concern ST but it is a practical decision. I honestly do not think it is GAS....

I sit here most days with an 18 month old and a 3 year old darting around my ankles....I practice mostly if not too tired at night when they have gone to bed.

Get my Pacemaker out and mostly play my Zephyr and SG as they are they are my only two up and running electrics. To be truthful the ancient tuners on the Levin mean I have to retune quite regularly mainly just the top E which pisses me off.

I love playing the Zephyr unplugged and the tuners are spot on.

During the daytime when the kids are about I would love to just have my acoustic to hand and snatch every bit of free time I get.

But I know if I leave the Levin out...I will turn my back for a minute and something will happen..

I am sorry I ever bought a vintage guitar...F*** it's worth I am not interested....

I bought it cheap and probably if I just spent a bit of time doing a little work on it I would enjoy playing it more.

I know there are loads of guys out there with guitars in cases they never play, but that's not what I want....

I need an acoustic that I can play on a daily basis is that GAS....

or just a hunger for a practical solution......

maybe the answer is in your post.

Keep the Levin in storage and slowly do it up and buy one of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bluesgitarre_set.htm

for $57 and me and the kids can run riot on it in the daytime.

Thanks ST, I appreciate your concern man but always remember I am not too far outside my original budget and I wanted to keep to 5 guitars your reasoning leaves no option but to just solve my daily dilemma by spending $57 on a daytime beater....

A sixth guitar...... no its for the kids...... and I can borrow it.......for $57 :D .

That solves the problem. Case closed.....

But I feel like a collector having that Levin stored up and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I want all my guitars to be played on a regular basis...

[blink] Well Joe' date=' if your gassing that bad, (I agree with skye on this), but I have no kids, and you know I'm a jazz freak, don't know what the shipping would run, but if you want to swing a deal, let me know.

And in support of what Skye suggested, lets revisit this say when the house is complete, and you and family are all settled in, and snow is on the radar.

I would certainly throw a floating mini hum on that baby.

(I know your suspecting I'll whip the Staple on it, trust me I won't. No cutting of soundboards for me.) Now, a Bigsby? hmmmmmm [/quote']

Just to reiterate J is it not unreasonable to want an acoustic guitar I can have to hand between the hours of 6 am when the kids are usually up to 8pm in the evening...

If I said to you that you could not have access to a guitar during those hours if you were home all day. I know you would do something practical to solve the situation...

that is what I have to solve.....

I will just get that $57 Harley Benton and the kids can puke in it to their hearts content.

Had a great session this afternoon on my Zephyr.

Kristin is home and playing with the kids...it was heaven.....all those on this forum with two kids under 4 running around will now my dilemma....if you guys have any tips much appreciated.

EDIT to Your EDIT J

I think I am best getting the cheap $57 ready playable beater....

a project means I still do not have a player to hand during the daytime, between 8pm and 12 midnight I like to snatch an hour to myself .."me time"...

unwind and get one or two of my guitars and hope to rotate them.

But this means the bulk of my time on a guitar will be on the porch with the beater watching the kids in the garden.

Yes, I feel like the Levin is my collectors item now.....[blush]

at $57 I call that 5 and 1/8 guitars....[cool]

I get the basic point JC, I had guitars when mine were little, and understand all too well the situation.

Keep your pretty Levin in the case, shop for some tuners in your free time, and get a beater.

That said, I would not let Gabby, my grandaughter in my avatar near the Aims now, 3 months ago, no problem, so yes I understand your concerns.

Talk it over with your mrs.

5 guitar rule or what-ever, she's a good woman, she will understand.

Call it a 5 1/2 rule then.

Don't sell anything, just get a used cheap guitar somewhere that you can "beat" on. It's nice to have an ok sounding guitar that you don't really care about cosmetically, especially with kids around. Actually the more it gets beat on the better, within reason. Lean it in the corner and grab it whenever you want to. If it falls over..who cares.

Don't sell anything' date=' just get a used cheap guitar somewhere that you can "beat" on. It's nice to have an ok sounding guitar that you don't really care about cosmetically, especially with kids around. Actually the more it gets beat on the better, within reason. Lean it in the corner and grab it whenever you want to. If it falls over..who cares.[/quote']

Yes that is exactly what I am looking for and at $57 with a gigbag...

147588.jpg

that looks like a answer to the problem...

Yes that is exactly what I am looking for and at $57 with a gigbag...

147588.jpg

that looks like a answer to the problem...

Yup, it sure does.

Those Takamine Jasmines are actually not that bad either, I beat the living sh!t out of mine.

It lived in the kitchen, while I was cooking, so a little sauce, or Old Scratchs' old mustard on the body, no biggie.

Yup' date=' it sure does.

Those Takamine Jasmines are actually not that bad either, I beat the living sh!t out of mine.

It lived in the kitchen, while I was cooking, so a little sauce, or Old Scratchs' old mustard on the body, no biggie.[/quote']

Yes..$57 that Harley Benton can wear as much Jam (US jelly), Snot, Milk, Felt Tip Pen, Crayon, Sand, Stones......as it likes as long as I can give my fingers a work out and it holds in tune...

Joseph don't buy that crap!

It's not worth IMO.

When my Mrs. bought me the Epi DR-200CE in Dec 2007 (for 139Euro) we checked the below 100Euro guitars from

Thomanns House brand "Harley Benton" and decided a big NO !

They are not well built at all. They sound like a plastic-bucket!

150 to (better) 200Euro is the lowest level for something reasonable

Don't waste your money !

Peter

Thanks Peter

I think I only have one option....I really do not want to spend any more money I am pretty keen to stick to my original budget and that is spent.....So if a "decent" guitar came in then something would have to go.....

But maybe the solution was in the attic......

Since 1988 I have had this guitar and last August I promised it to my brother in England

P1010386.jpg

That old Eko Ranger 6 is what I learnt all my early chords on and it has some good but a lot of bad memories for me....that is why I wanted to give to my brother......

Truth is probably by the time we get over to England the kids will be grown up...[confused]

So, on Tuesday when I pick the Sheraton up from my newly found guitar tech I will take the EKO with me and ask him to give it a good set up and new set of strings.......

Birdcansing (my brother's forum name)....hope you can see my situation bro........I am going to have to get the EKO back up and running as my beater...the kids will maul it and it will probably take a lot of abuse.....but I bought it for £25 US$37 in 1988 and it does not owe me a penny.......

Has that Hessy's Liverpool sticker on the back of the headstock....

http://www.rockmine.com/Beatles/Liverpool/Hessy.html

That is why my brother wants it.......

So that is really case closed..............

The EKO Ranger 6 is now my beater.......good name for it

"The Scapegoat"

EDIT: Just tuned up "The Scapegoat" and strange how I started automatically started playing a few of my old time favourites I learned on that guitar...

"Hey Joe", "Night Moves", "Hard Nose the Highway".........start trying some of the new tunes on there from tomorrow......will leave it by my desk at all times, it does not have a case, never did have........

Joseph don't buy that crap!

It's not worth IMO.

When my Mrs. bought me the Epi DR-200CE in Dec 2007 (for 139Euro) we checked the below 100Euro guitars from

Thomanns House brand "Harley Benton" and decided a big NO !

They are not well built at all. They sound like a plastic-bucket!

150 to (better) 200Euro is the lowest level for something reasonable

Don't waste your money !

Peter

Hi' date='

I agree with this, but I am just wondering- if U listen to sound clips on Thomann product pages, these guitars don't sound like plastic-bucket at all. I mean, I hear a sound of guitar wood [confused

Peter, did U play these HB guitars? And what do U think about those sound clips, are they authentic?

Case it for now for sure. And though I have a few guitars put away at the moment, they have gotten and will get much more love in my lifetime.

Case the Levin, ship it here, let me give her the works, and I'll send it back when you get lonely for her!

Case it for now for sure. And though I have a few guitars put away at the moment' date=' they have gotten and will get much more love in my lifetime.

Case the Levin, ship it here, let me give her the works, and I'll send it back when you get lonely for her![/quote']

ST if it were actually practical I would do that...Why I got so disheartened with the Levin is basically:

1) The tuners are 50 years old, the only real problem is the bass e string that slips... spoils the fun...I tried to take take the tuner off for inspection and it is set fast.....seems the metal of the nut is willing to go before the seized nut will move, so I left it....speak to anyone over here about working a "vintage" guitar.

They think I am a collector and they quote megabucks...guy I spoke to quoted me $390 to do the work, the guitar only cost me $500. So I have to find, firstly, a cheap way to "safely" remove the original tuners....then find a suitable set of replacements.

2) In my opinion it needs a new floating bridge.....If I was leaning more toward Jazz I would put on a nice new ebony bridge on there, but on my "Joe Pass" I had two bridges, the original ebony bridge and an abr floating bridge.

I preferred for the type of stuff I like, the metal bridge. So I would like to replace the present wooden bridge with a floating abr....or some kind of floating bone bridge.

That's it really, that would solve the problems....to get the pleasure back in playing the Levin.

I think these are normal problems one would find with a 50 year old jazz box.

Of course I don't want the kids destroying that guitar, or any of my guitars......

I suppose I can keep the Levin like a fine wine, if I solve the above, and just pull her out when the kids are not around and enjoy the experience.

But, for sure I do need a daytime beater acoustic,....'The Scapegoat" will just have to take all the sins of the world, everything my kids can throw at it, and my daytime "child minding noodlin'"...

Thanks, I needed to talk this through the situation has been bugging me......

...........................................................................................

EDIT: The two "Little Monsters" have woken up and found "The Scapegoat"...they think it is Christmas.... LOL.......

P1010389.jpg

Honestly ST, Jeff and all the guys who have been so helpful on this thread would you want this guy crawling all over your finest guitars....I rest my case....

P1010392.jpg

...........................................................................................

EDIT:

ST.....all the research in this thread about 00 size flattops......"if" in the future I am ever in the market for such a guitar I will make it a "Baby Taylor" and give it to my kids as their first real guitar. I will put "Skye" above the logo on the headstock :) [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Martin makes some nice small bodied guitars' date=' which aren't too expensive.

A 00-15 would go nicely with your [b']other five[/b] guitars...

[biggrin]

Who's the funny guy now......[biggrin]

I was actually thinking of cancelling the Tele and ordering a Baby Taylor, or adding a little and going for a Guild I spotted on Blocket.....

but it does not solve my fundamental problem, the kids will destroy what ever is lying about during the day, and I am not letting them get their hands on anything else, but "The Scapegoat", until they are old enough to respect Pappa's precious gear.

But given Sheila's recent run in with the younger generation.......might not be worth holding my breath.

No, it is 5 guitars for "me time" pure pleasure and a "Scapegoat" for having lying around during the daytime for me and the kids to jump on........

was sorely tested yesterday saw a

Guild Gad M20

3064545295.jpg

for $660 mint with a case

resisted the GAS.....so aint I a good boy........:-&

EDIT: I have thrown the EKO Ranger 6 "The Scapegoat" back in the attic.....after one day I remember now why I stopped playing that guitar......my brother will probably fix it up fine but something about me and that guitar just do not click.....currently without an acoustic will just play the Zephyr unplugged until I get the new tuners on the Levin..

I had my Samick SG for sale, but have decided to take the advert down and make that SG my daytime "Scapegoat" beater. Great playability, stays in tune, two great stock pups and enough unplugged to keep the fingers nimble during my daytimes looking after the children. Cost me very little money and even if it gets wrecked I can put its good parts, to good use. WIN WIN.....

Archived